Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfinished Lap Band Surgery?

believe that for one sec....NOPE....cannot believe and instrument could NOT make it through...kept bending...umm NO...I think it had to be something else..i have never heard of that.....Its just my honest opinion and not that it matters but I think it was something else....:drool:

HI, pan

you know, you can ask to see your x-rays, and the doc. explain it to you, of what he sees, is the problem or an other doc. in his field. or buy your x-rays to see for yourself. some one can give you an answer,

so you don't have to wonder so much, and worry .. ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

margie

b 4/5/04

removed 1/23/08

THE MORE WE ASK THE MORE ANSWERS WE GET..

That's a really good idea. Thanks!

If it were me, I'd schedule an appt with the surgeon and just tell him, that I need to hear an explanation, that I can understand,( layman's terms) ( with diagrams if needed) of what happened. I would feel entitled to that. A short explanation after a person is still groggy from the anesthesia would not be enough for me.

I would also want to know why they felt changing the laproscopic procedure to an "open" one was not considered or if it was considered why they didn't do it that way...

If you already feel the Dr.s explanation makes sense then I understand. I was not there to hear his explanation, maybe you feel it was complete and acceptable.

You know, I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing. I have an appointment tomorrow to see the Doc,to check the incisions and my progress on the wieght loss. My Doctor is female,btw. I wonder and I don't mean to sound sexist, but if she were male maybe she'd be strong enough to get through what she says she couldn't? I am grasping for explanations. I will ask some questions tomorrow.

I hope you are not self pay.

Nope. All this has cost me is maybe is a total of $150 dollars in co-pays from the supervised diets, the wiegh-ins, and the EKG's ( I had two). Since I actually went in and out of surgery, technically I don't have co-pays anymore either and I pay nothing for hospitalizations or surgery. Heck, I just had my gall bladder taken out and it cost me nothing. I think I spent $10 dollars over for my vicodin because I didn't have my medical card with me.

My surgeon told us (my SIL and I went to get banded together) that if it was not possible to do it laproscopically he would close up. He would not open to do a band. He said he has patients that he knew that was the only option, but he would not switch from one to another! My SIL was concerned, because she had some bad adhesions.

I too am apple shaped, and thin elsewhere---and he explained how difficult it made this surgery---told us about the strength it takes to hold the instruments, about them getting bent----pretty much all the same things. I went to surgery at 283-286 somewhere in there---but even with all the weight I have lost, the last place it is coming off is my belly---I believe it IS made of concrete or some such substance!!!

It is my opinion--and that is all it is----basically that they tried repeatedly to do your surgery, and eventually they were likely afraid of causing damage to your liver, or your stomach---so postponed you.

In hind sight-----this is telling you how right you are to make the decision to be banded! Apple shaped is dangerous, it puts such stress on our organs---and it sounds like yours were being seriously compromised!

I am sorry you had such a time of it--but just imagine, you will have lost almost 100 pounds on your own pre op---then the weight coming off after being banded finally----you will be so far into the game already!!! Losing that much pre op is an amazing feat-----be proud of what you have done!

Kat

I've been telling myself the more I lose prior to the band was going to benefit me. I've been trying so hard to be positive and I am going with the flow at this point.

And you mention the strength it takes. Well, I said this to someone else on here too, but my surgeon is female and average sized and her assistant is even smaller than that. I wonder if they just weren't strong enough?

And I feel the same way about my lower tummy. The fat is thick and strong there. I can imagine it being hard to handle, male or female.

Pandagirl, just visiting this thread to see if you've gotten to the bottom of the real issue.

Was the technician drunk? Did the doctor drop your band on the floor and it broke?

Something happened, indeed!

I'm going in for a follow up tomorrow, Grace. I will see what I can find out then. I don't think I'm getting to the bottom of it though. If something horrible happened I doubt they'd want to tell me. And in the end I am okay. I am out a band for a couple of weeks and out some servings of chicken, but I've already had my "last supper" syndrome and hopefully, crosses fingers, that she was telling it as it was and I lose the 30 pounds and we go in and all is fine. (insert curse word) If not and I go in and out without a band a second time, I'm gonna raise some hell.

True, but I wonder if I went to a new surgeon if I would have to start the process all over again?

If it's just to get a second opinion, probably not.

OTOH I agree about getting a 1st opinion that makes sense first. But if you can't get that, taking your records to another surgeon and asking for their opinion couldn't cost more than an office visit co-pay. If the second surgeon makes you feel more comfortable, you can consider switching to them at that point, and at that point you can find out what you'd have to do over and what they'd accept from your first shot.

I bet once the insurance is approved it will be by any physician that is an accepted care provider for the company. It might be worth the trouble to call your insurance company and explain your situation. Mention that you would be interested in another doctors opinion before proceeding. Though it will probably be difficult to get through to the right person on the phone I suspect it will be worth trying.

Your insurance company, in spite of how you feel about them, has agreed with your doctor that you deserve the operation...They also want success for you and a healthy outcome!

I had a similarly confusing situation with an injury my son had recieved. The surgeon backed out and in of treating him. After knashing my teeth and waiting I finally contacted my insurance company and they were fantastically helpful...I had to do my part but within 48hours my issues were resolved, we were in the hands of the best surgeon in Boston and my son was on the mend.

I do think there are some surgeons with more skill or maybe pure guts than others. Not that yours is not but it might be worth considering. No need to be nice either...it will get you nowhere.

That story is very hard to believe. I watch Big Medicine and they show LB and GB surgery on patients that weigh 500 and 800 pounds and they had no problem with the instruments bending. It could be true though. Kat said her surgeon said that her surgery was difficult for that reason. It seems odd to us but we aren't surgeons. I hope you got some anwers today.

Okay, I went to see my surgeon today and cleared up some things.

1) The instrument she was having trouble with was the one used to sew the band itself. There was so much tension that she didn't have a comfortable level of control. The instrument would bend as she tried to use it. She did try other areas, but the fat in the upper,not lower area was too thick. She opted to end the surgery, have me lose a few more pounds so that she could get the band in properly.

2) She never considered open surgery for a band because is it professionally not preferred. And I'm with her on this one. i do not want an open surgery and I told her when we go in again and she finds she is having another issue DO NOT move to an open surgery. I'm just not mentally prepared for it.

2) She wasn't asking me to lose 30 pounds in 2 weeks. I think my drugged out self heard that when she was saying she would want to see me within a week. She does want me to lose 30 more pounds though and then we will reevaluate when the time comes.

It looks like I'm not going to be having surgery until May. April is already booked. I've been on the liquid diet in one form or another since September, but I can make it. I started 2007 at 397 lbs and every day, band or no, I'm getting smaller and in the end that is what counts.

And so you guys know, I'm sticking with my Dr. I really trust her and like her. I know all of this seems really, really odd, but it is not so far fetched. I believe her and believe that she and her staff have my best intrests at heart.

Thank you so much for all of the kind words, the support, the ideas of waht to ask and what to look for. All of you have been so very, very helpful. :)

Thank you,

Pandy

I'm glad you did that. That was why I suggsted you talk to the surgeon and get the story in full, so you can understand. Once you understand something, you're in a better place to make a decision. And you did just that.

Get the thirty pounds off and you'll be ok. Good Luck, you've endured a lot.

Go Panda! Sorry you had to go through this but it will all be worth it in the end. I sure hope you have some before pictures because you have already done so well!!!!

Isn't it nice to know that this weight loss effort will be a permanent one!!!! bless you and thanks for a really interesting thread...best of luck and keep up apprised!

Panda,

That explanation makes sense. It is a good thing she didn't try to proceed because who knows what could have happened. I know you will get that 30 pounds off and then join us in band land in May.

Keep up the great work! :angry_smile:

I'm glad you did that. That was why I suggsted you talk to the surgeon and get the story in full, so you can understand. Once you understand something, you're in a better place to make a decision. And you did just that.

Get the thirty pounds off and you'll be ok. Good Luck, you've endured a lot.

I feel so much better and both the Dr. and her assistant talked to me, gave me a pep talk and made sure that I was okay. They are really good people.

Be sure to check in and let us know how you're doing and of course we'll want to know when you are re-scheduled for surgery.