Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changes to Private Health Insurance

Hi Everyone,:confused2:

Received this email from a lady - Please check your health funds - NOW!!!!

:::::::

Received a letter from Manchester Unity today informing me of changes to my health insurance cover.

When reading the fine print I noticed that they will no longer cover gastric banding from May 2008.

Apparently many other health funds are raising their premiums and dropping coverage for certain procedures such as gastric banding, so for those of you who are waiting for your health insurance to kick in, it might be worth a phone call to find out whether your health fund will cover you for gastric banding!

regards

M:lol:

Yes it is very scary.

If this is the case with most funds it is also so sad to think those that are waiting for the 12 month period to finish in order to get banded may be disappointed.

regards M

I am not going to panic till I get something in writing from my health fund. I know we will be slugged with a premium increase, so we will likely get notification of policy changes at the same time.

It's just a matter of reading every single word.

I dont understand this thinking on the part of the health insurance companies, obesity cost billions every year why would they take away the possible solution to that.

I am so glad my surgery is next week I would be seriously depressed if I got rejected after all this time waiting

Ok I just went to Man U's website. Not exactly true. After 1 May 2008, you will only be able to get gastric banding surgery if you have their Top level of cover. The link to read more is here http://www.manchesterunity.com.au/Site/uploadedfiles/importantinformationmembers.pdf

Just spoke with someone at HBA and they haven't changed any surgery entitlements to various levels. Prices are going up, but whatever was covered before at your level is still there.

Michelle

thanks for the info - its always good to get theses things verified.

kind regards

M:smile:

I panicked when I read this thread, as I have lapband surgery scheduled for early May.

But I got my DH to ring Medibank Private, and they didn't know anything about it (item number 30511) being declined. In fact they wanted to know where we heard that.

They're even sending me a letter confirming acceptance.

I am in SmartPlus (Hospital plus Extras) so I don't know if that made a difference or not.

I'm just soooooo glad I'm still covered (fingers crossed nothing happens to change that by the date of surgery).

PS I'm being banded by Dr Munro at North Gosford Private Hospital (NSW), and have started Optifast although I haven't even seen the Dr yet - my appt is next month.

Hi Everyone,

I contacted NIB today as i was freaking out after reading that some would be dropping the surgery from their cover, But NIB wont be dropping it Thank goodness.

I got my rate rise letter today from R&T (as expected) and it lists all excluded medical and surgical treatments. Nothing is excluded apart from "cosmetic surgery that is not assigned an item number"

So R&T is still covering the band.

If anyone does find out their insurer is going to drop the option, don't panic. Remember you can change to most other insurers and take the time you've been covered with you.

If anyone does find out their insurer is going to drop the option, don't panic. Remember you can change to most other insurers and take the time you've been covered with you.

And I have to add to that, that any and all policy changes MUST be sent out in writing before they take effect. You will get plenty of notice if it were to happen.

I got my rate rise letter today from R&T (as expected) and it lists all excluded medical and surgical treatments. Nothing is excluded apart from "cosmetic surgery that is not assigned an item number"

So R&T is still covering the band.

Hmm what/where is R&T? I ask because the PS I went to see gave me item numbers for the body lift he quoted me for but NIB (the fund I am with now) only covers plastic surgery if the surgeon will do it under their medigap scheme, which the surgeon wouldn't (more details on my blog below if anyone is interested).

Perhaps I should change funds and wait out the 12 month waiting period, because I'm almost never going to have the $20k to pay it out of pocket. And well, I REALLY want that darn surgery.

"R&T" is Rail & Transport health fund.

We have been very, very happy with them for the 5 or 6 (I think) years we have been with them.