Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 3 Days ago.....Was it the right thing to do???

I think it all depends on how you look at it. This can be a positive experience if you focus on it that way. I was banded just yesterday, and I'm up and walking and toughing it out through the pain. My kids and I are at my mom's at the moment, but I plan on going home tomorrow. My one yr. old doesn't understand why mommy can't pick her up, but that will only last a few days. I guess it is worse for some, but I also think it is more mental than physical. It's a mindset, and if you put your mind to it, you can do just about anything! Do the research and make the best decision for yourself - the best decision is an informed one. This sight is wonderful, but it can freak you out if you let it.

hi...prior to surgery I really liked the SlimFast Low Carb chocolate shakes....had one on Tuesday and didn't really care for it!!! I've now just been drinking the chocolate CIB drinks and they taste a little better; but forcing myself to drink. Not very thirsty or hungry!

This may sound crazy but the only relief I had was when my husband used one of those battery operated back massagers on the spot. I don't know if it disperses it or what but it does relieve the pain for a while. Good luck!

Any advice for the gas pain? I was banded 11 hours ago, and I wish someone would just stick in a valve and let the air out!!!!!!! My port is sore, but nothing compared to the gas.

Moving, walking. Walk around the inside of the house or where ever. Some say a heating pad helps, too.

I had it bad for about four days. It will get better.

Any advice for the gas pain? I was banded 11 hours ago, and I wish someone would just stick in a valve and let the air out!!!!!!! My port is sore, but nothing compared to the gas.

Try Gas X Strips! They dissolve on your tounge. They are great!!!!!!

I was a mess for a week after the surgery, and then had complications like itching, swelling, body reaction, etc, for several weeks after. But now, just over 2 months after surgery, I wouldn't change what I did.

My doc suggested I stay on Clear liquids for 10 after surgery because of the pain, I used the heating pad all the time, and took advantage of the pain pills at night. I was miserable, but its so worth it.:cheers2:

Hi Everyone,

I'm really glad to have found this section on this particular topic. I have yet to be banded out of fear. So many of the fears I am having are discussed in section which is why I'm so grateful to find it. I'm afraid of buyer's remorse so to say, the pain and any complications that occur . It's such a big decision (purchase) and not one I can return. I keep thinking I should be able to do this on my own. Just try one more time but the truth is I have tried for over 30 years and still have a weight problem which I would think would be the turning point regarding finalizing my decision but it's not. I just don't know how to put my fears at ease which include the fear of what the hell have I done and how do I get this thing out of me. But it sounds like these are common fears and hit hardest right after surgery and until several weeks go by. I'm single, live alone and suffer from a horrible back injury plus have a limited support group which are also issues of concern. One of the e-mails mentioned that the pain is not something that lasts forever and it sounds like the doubts, fears and regrets aren't either. I'm just not sure what it's going to take for me to make the final decision and move forward.

I had a rought first 4 days. I'm about 7 1/3 months out now and I feel wonderful. I'm a new person, not only in how I look, but I feel better than I ever have. Hang in there and tough it out. There's a long "getting use to it" stage, but when you get the hang of it, you won't even remember if any of it was bad. Remember, we're all going through behavior modification...that's a hard thing to do for any behavior, let alone eating.

The day before surgery, I was so tired and sweating just to walk from the bed to the bathroom when I woke up in the morning. Now I run (yes RUN!) 3 miles 4 days a week on an elliptical trainer. You can't beat that!

Hang in there. It's SO worth it!

Sorry make that 9 months out!

JoMarie, I am single and live alone, granted, I spent the week after surgery with my parents, who then went back to Florida. I was in hell for almost 3 weeks after surgery, between the gas, pain, itching, body reactions, inability to swallow, couldn't sleep or roll over in bed.

My best friends became the heating pad, and the pain pills. I had a reaction that happens to less than 5% of lap band people, and I would still do it all over again. This is the best thing I have ever done to help me lose the weight.

just got banded 4 days ago and just keep asking myself why did i do this should i have done this, did i try hard enough? my body achcesand the gas seems to be by my ribs!.i just want me back

ICU Nurse:

I was drinking sf carnation instant Breakfast drinks made with skim milk for Protein after surgery.

Heal well.

Sue

Chin up x-ray - it WILL get better.

The night is always darkest just before the dawn - and relax, cos the dawn will surely come !

Gordon