Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods that break down easy........

I heard your saliva starts the break down of foods. Like a potato chip melts in your mouth, so it will go staight down the bottom of your stomach.

I also heard tofu is broken down very easily. Is that true????

I don't eat beef or poulty or pig. And I'm worried about having a "hard" Protein that'll "sit" in the pouch.

Does anyone have some ideas for me?

I'm not sure what you're asking. The whole point of the band is to keep food in the pouch so you feel full longer. If you eat only things that go right through, you're totally defeating the purpose of it.

There are lots of things that break down easily, and you'll discover them over time. Yes, chips are among them. I don't know if I'd say tofu breaks down so much as just slides through because it's so soft.

O.K. I know you shouldn't eat potato chips because their junk and they don't sit.

The things I eat are rice and Beans, veggies and tofu based products and I was just wondering if how long they'll sit or will I end up being hungry all day.

If you don't eat any meats, how about fish --- baked, broiled, grilled, tuna - fresh and canned? There are several vegetable-based products that should sit in your pouch like a hard Protein. I've tried the "breakfast sausage" and "meat patties". They're very good. The point is not to eat a lot of soft foods that will not stay in the band, because you'll feel hungry sooner, and eat larger amounts and more often. Please do your research so you'll know what to expect and how to work w/this band successfully.

I do eat fish, I'm just worried about being limited. And wondered what others have eaten that's similar to what I eat. I wasn't sure how many people(meat eaters) would bother w/ soy burgers, when they could have the real thing.

Thanks, Marie for being brave and trying "meatless" burgers, and they are really good.

My kids love them. the chick nuggets, too.

Tina,

I am a class 5 Noveau Vegitarian (also called Pollo Vegetarian or Semi Vegetarian) as well. I do eat tuna, turkey (white meat only) and chicken (white meat only) but I do not eat any red meats or as I call them "funky" meat (duck, rabbit, deer, wild turkey, any animal from a popular disney movie, anything furry and cute, etc etc etc). Nor can ANYTHING be on a bone (including chicken, turkey) I don't eat the "soy" burgers as they LOOK like meat and gross me out. Chicken also has much Protein.

I have talked to a nutritionist about the Protein issue and she told me that it doesn't have to be "solid" protein just get the protein in your body! Today, I went to Sam's club and purchased a BIG bucket of Protein whey. I will mix them in a yogurt shake. She also said that eggs are a big source of protein as well as many other foods. There was a link that I will borrow from another member who posted that lists protein rich foods.....http://www.highproteinfoods.net/

Hope this helps....

Jenna

Thanks Jenna, I'll check that out. I'll check out Sam's,too. I don't remember seeing that stuff there, but I'll look.

Class 5 Noveau Vegetarian ?? I try not to eat anything that cries out from pain. It just makes me sad...:-(

The whole point of the band is to keep food in the pouch so you feel full longer. If you eat only things that go right through, you're totally defeating the purpose of it.

I guess it's one of those things that you won't understand until you're doing it, Princess. Best of luck to you.

Tina, now I get it. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Personally, if I didn't eat meat I'd still do fine with fish, eggs, and Beans. These things satisfy me just as well as mean--and in the case of eggs are actually difficult to eat. (I can't handle scrambled eggs, for some reason.)

It seems to me that anyone who's already been living on a non-meat diet and who gets banded will do fine, as long as they do what every other bandster does and concentrate on getting the Protein FIRST. You've been eating Protein all along, now it's just a matter of re-prioritizing your foods. The first order of business is no longer getting full, it's getting nutrition. So eat what you've been eating, just save the veggies for last.

My filler that sticks with me is chili or refried Beans. I seem to have a difficult time with chicken and broiled/baked tuna. They seem to be too dry and don't settle very well. Stir fried chicken or nuggets do ok. I do really well with egg salad and omlets too. Good Luck!

This all good to hear. I thought those refied Beans would just slide on throught. With all the beans I'll be eating it's a good thing I not getting one of those other surgeries. I read, they make you extra extra gassy.

Thanks all, I'm taking lot of mental notes.

I really think the high Protein intake was the reason for my muscle gain, cause it sho enough wasn't from workn out. Prior to banding I ate little protein, now I'm a protein freak. In all my 55 years I never knew until one of the nutritionist meetings the protein helped boost the metab and helped you stay full longer. See the band came with good ideas.