Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was there something in the water in Aug of '07?

Ok, strange title, but here is the explanation for it. I've noticed ALOT of big numbers coming from Aug of '07 bandsters, including mine. Seriously, it seems to be disproportionate compared to others on the forum.

Or am I imagining things?

Either way, GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!!:angry: Keep up the good work.

You know I have thought a lot about this as well for both here and the July board as I post in both places. I was talking to my BF (has a psych degree) and posed a question...Do you think that we are more successful because we post so much here and are accountable not only to ourselves but to others...or are we successful so we post more? I don't know that there is anyway of answering that question now, but I have thought a lot about out. From reading the other threads I have noticed that there are a lot of separate threads and people don't seem to connect as much. In the July board there is one thread where most people post and here in the Auguest there are 3 or 4. I have seen some of the others months where there are 20-30 threads.

Another reason for our success I believe is the timing. We were far enough away from holidays and picnics that we could set good habits for ourselves so we knew how to handle it when the triggers and temptations came around. Maybe we also were so sick of wearing long clothes and swimming suits that were made for my grandma that we just figured we had better get it done.

But no I don't think you are imagining things...If you look at the busiest boards they are the ones that have the biggest losers (April, July, and August). I honestly believe that it is the bond that we have forged here or somewhere else on the board that has lead us to believe in ourselves and that is the key to this journey. I am blessed to have two families in the August and July boards. I don't stray away too often because these are the people that I am most comfortable with, and whom I consider my family.

Great question and AMAZING weightloss!

Maybe we also were so sick of wearing long clothes and swimming suits that were made for my grandma that we just figured we had better get it done.

Salsa, ROTFL :drool::lol::cursing:! I swear though, the reason this struck me so funny is that this was the thing driving me last summer. As a matter of fact, I was just looking at last summer's bathing suit and it is "this close" to being a full Burqa!

My husband told me as much at the time and warned me that I looked rather ridiculous wearing this getup on the beach, but I was fat and miserable, and needless to say, this bit of "constructive criticism" did not go down well.

Anyhow, with 80 pounds behind me, I can now laugh at the utter absurdity of the situation, as well a breathe a sigh of relief that I finally managed to come up with a solution to my weight problem in August of 07.

Now back to Ceradad's original question -- it has also occurred to me that collectively we are racking up some high weight loss numbers. It also seems that we as a group have a higher number of regular exercisers

We rock don't we Banane17.gif!

misc14.gif

Crazy Ates March Exercise Challenge

1/30 Exercise Sessions

(1 Cardio, 0 Core Strength & flexibility, 0 Weight training)

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

Do you think that we are more successful because we post so much here and are accountable not only to ourselves but to others...or are we successful so we post more?

That made my head hurt. Which came first the chicken or the egg beaters? :biggrin2:

We may have it easier than some who started closer to the holidays, because we are already in a good rhythm once they came around. Just think of the people who were banded in November and are on liquids still and having to face all that additional temptation. Just a guess.

That made my head hurt. Which came first the chicken or the egg beaters? :biggrin2:

We may have it easier than some who started closer to the holidays, because we are already in a good rhythm once they came around. Just think of the people who were banded in November and are on liquids still and having to face all that additional temptation. Just a guess.

I'll give you that, but what about people that were banded 4-5 mos prior to us. I don't see near the same numbers being put up on a consistent basis as I do with our group.

I'll give you that, but what about people that were banded 4-5 mos prior to us. I don't see near the same numbers being put up on a consistent basis as I do with our group.

I can't have all th answers!

It's a fair question, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I think we may just be the combination of support, motivation and confidence building that allows us to feel comfortable discussing our issues and successes.

I can't have all th answers!

It's a fair question, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I think we may just be the combination of support, motivation and confidence building that allows us to feel comfortable discussing our issues and successes.

Fair enough:biggrin::rolleyes2:

Well, now I have to chime in here! I've been working so much the past 2 months that I haven't had a lot of time to pop in here. And, believe me.....in my my real world, I only know one other banded person on a personal level. And, she's not even in my everyday world....it's just that she lives close by. It was a pure treat to meet her and share our journies. We email regularly and hope to get together soon. (BTW, I met here somewhere on this board). Between my blog and this group---that is how I stay connected to the "banded world". And, I truly believe these things keep my focus. I have many regular readers to my blog who email me or post there on a consistent basis. And, I feel very responsible to them. They are friends and in many ways--confidantes. And, it's always nice to come here and see the same members and hear about their successes. And, you know, I believe that the reason why The Crazy Ates are so darn successful is because we all got together here very early on---meaning that we were motivated from the very beginning. And, motivation is contagious! And, when we had success, we shared it. Success is also contagious. There's no mystery here.....we're just a bunch of motivated, successful, giving and nice people! Period!!!! And, of course---very good looking, sexy and smart!

Judi

This board in particular gets me and keeps me going - I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I LOVE you guys!!

That said - holy cow, Ceredad - 1 lb from the century mark?!?!?! Rock on!!

I do wonder - how many of us got the new AP band? Did anyone get a different band and what's the difference in loss? I know my doc mentioned that they were seeing some big differences in rate of loss from it, possibly because we were starting out with a small fill right at surgery time. Did anyone still go through "bandster h*ll" or were you able to lose straight off? I would say for myself that I really haven't been through any BH, although I've been slower lately, mostly from my own doing with food choices and exercise levels.

Are we all AP bandsters?

Oh , and I do have to check myself now and then and stop comparing my "measly" 74 lbs to all of you in the 80-100 lb loss range. I just need to read a few other boards and I feel better about things. (and yes, pass that bowl of milk over here to me - meow!).

You know, I don't even know what brand of band I have.:biggrin: But, I do know that I had 4 cc's in after the surgery, so it must be the AP.

No, never went through the bandster h*ll. Started losing right away. Got my first fill last Thursday. That was not fun. PA had trouble actually finding the right spot in the port. Then, had the bevel the wrong way.:cursing: I hate needles and damn near passd out when it was finally over. :smile2:

I just keep doing what I need to do and that is the important thing. It seems like most are doing just that.

Also, one thing I learned early on in life when it comes to working out. Never compare yourself to others. We're all different and we gain/lose differently. The important thing is, you are doing it! Great job everyone.

Ouch - sorry to hear your fill was so troublesome! Did they at least numb you up first? I'm in awe that you've gotten this far without a fill - that's a testament to your resolve!

Ouch - sorry to hear your fill was so troublesome! Did they at least numb you up first? I'm in awe that you've gotten this far without a fill - that's a testament to your resolve!

Yeah, if they hadn't I would have had a whole new definition for bandster h*ll.:biggrin:

As I stated in other threads, I have a great DW who allows me to hit the gym at the rate I set early on. If she can't be home to pick up DD, my in laws only live about 5 minutes away. They have been great as well. All told, I couldn't imagine how I would do it w/o the support system I have in place.

Of course, I've also stated that I have always told people that if I could just find the willpower to actually get in the gym on a consistent basis, I have the drive to accomplish alot. I just had to go through surgery to find that willpower.:smile2:

Outstanding attitude!