Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB-any experiences?

Since we all had our surgery in February, I was hoping we could share our PB experiences. Lord knows I don't want anyone to have one, but will you post it if you do? It's a great way for us to learn from each other. :thumbup:

Thanks,

I kind of untechnically pb'd but it wasn't a technical actual pb...if that makes sense. A pb is a productive burp where the food comes right back up as you swallowed it(usually too big to go thru the band. I threw up but it was in the same mushie chunks I ate it as.(sorry for being gross) I think I just didn't see the signs that I was full and overate...and I threw up.

Actual pb not yet...it freaks me out...but I know once I am filled it will happen ...during unconcious eating. But I am trying that it doesn't.

So then I guess that means I'm first. GREAT, I always liked being first at everything. But gosh, this was not at all what I expected. IT HURTS like heck. I was eating a scrambled egg, and talking on the phone. Well, I guess a piece got by me and didn't get chewed, about 2 minutes later the sliming starts and the pain, oh the pain. Then I couldn't breathe or swallow, much worse then the tylenol. I ran out my office to go to the bathroom which is a nice walk. It was crowded, so I went back to my office shut the door and grabbed the garbage can. I prayed, and cried. finally, out comes the egg, a big piece and a bunch of little pieces. And the pain lasted for another half hour. I was told by the Drs office to drink warm liquids for a few hours and try to eat mushies and not to talk on the phone anymore. She said this is just par for the course and I will learn a lesson or do it again and then learn. UGH.

Same thing happened to me today. I am a nurse and it was busy at work, I went into the break room and I took about 3-5 bites of scrambled egg. I was talking and in a hurry. A piece must have slipped by. I got ill felt like I was having a heart attack. I felt very anxious. I vomited twice. I still dont fell that well and that was about 3 hours ago. I will never eat again when I am in a hurry. It was awful. Thank goodness I only had to work 5 hours today.

I am a January bandster, but let me give you guys some advice. If you feel like something has gotten stuck, DO NOT!!!! try to drink something to help wash it down. The Fluid will just sit on top and put even more pressure on the band. Holy Cow batman that hurts. I have found that if the pain has not gone away in two or three minutes I am better off going to the bathroom and burping it back up. A PB (at least for me) is not painful and generally relieves the pain caused by the blockage right away. keep in mind since the food has not hit the stomach it is only mixed with saliva an not stomach acids. If you bend over the commode and allow the burp to come out, then the food will come right with it. Just spit it out and move on. I have had 2 PB's and I no longer fear them.

I had my surgery on 02/05. Haven't had any pb's yet (go for my 1st fill on 03/12), but I have had my first experience with food getting "stuck" and having to wait for it to "move" down.

I was eating sausage (something hard, I know) and was in a bit of a hurry (like others have shared). I guess I didn't chew enough or it was too big of a bite, but OMG, it just sat there in the middle of my chest and HURT! I couldn't really talk it hurt so bad; I had to just quietly leave my lunch companions and go back to my office and wait it out. Eventually it moved down, but it took a good 10-15 minutes for it to clear.

I have really learned a lot on this forum from the experience of others. Thanks everyone for sharing!

I had the same experience as GainesvilleGirl. Mine was a piece of string cheese rolled up with a slice of roast beef. I wasn't paying attention, took too big of a bite to begin with and then didn't chew properly. Next thing I knew I had major chest pain and it felt like it was going to try to come back up. I walked, and stretched. Then I made the fatal mistake of trying to wash it down. DO NOT DO THIS!!! It only made matters worse! It finally passed through with enough walking and stretching but you can bet I will pay much better attention to how big my bites are and how much I chew.

Karen how are you doing haven't seen you around the boards in a while?

Karen how are you doing haven't seen you around the boards in a while?

Hey you! I'm here, just been busy riding! (It's Bike Week down here and always something going on) Haven't put too much time on the computer. In fact, I was thinking about running about for an hour or so just to enjoy the beautiful weather we are having today (Sorry to all the northerners).

Had to go to the doctor this week because I've been experiencing so much discomfort when I burp. I guess it's due to my hiatal hernia repair being rather large and it's taking it's sweet time to heal. He tested to see whether I needed a fill or not (a week early) but he said I still had good restriction so I will see what happens next week when I go back in for my scheduled fill appt.

How are you progressing? I'm still sitting at 29 pounds. Been struggling with the same two pounds for a couple of weeks now. The scale just doesn't want to move. Guess I'm going to need to get my butt out there and exercise. UGH. You would think I would be losing as little as I eat now!

I think I almost had a small one. I didn't have the pain that a lot of people talk about and it only last for maybe 5 minutes. Thank God! I'm really afraid of that so I've really slowed down and am chewing like crazy. Some of the stories are scary, especially if you're in public.

OT: Hey luv2smile, I have a neighbor that's from Cumberland, MD. I'm in Houston.:thumbdown:

How are you progressing? I'm still sitting at 29 pounds. Been struggling with the same two pounds for a couple of weeks now. The scale just doesn't want to move. Guess I'm going to need to get my butt out there and exercise. UGH. You would think I would be losing as little as I eat now!

Yep I am still sitting at 20 lbs...playing with the same 2-3 lbs too. I have been exercising lots....I added myself a challenge goal to do 150 minutes per week minimum....Luckily I met that yesterday...but I am still going at it today and tomw.

Glad you are better....our weather has been beautiful and will be even better today! I hope I can get a fill for my first fill...i think I should since I haven't lost anymore.