Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

My fears........hmmmm....I'm a little over a week away....

I'm afraid I won't be able to stick to the liquid diet....well, not really afraid....because I know I will....but I'm nervous about how miserable it's going to be....BUT alas, it's only a week.

I'm afraid of the anesthesia....I always get horribly sick/nauseaous after anesthesia. I did talk to the surgeon and she gave me a prescription for something....said it's what they give chemotherapy patients before treatments....I'm to take it the morning of surgery and she said it should last three days.

I'm afraid of the pain.....I'm pretty tough, but there is that nagging feeling that it's going to hurt more than I think it will.

I'm afraid of the lengthy restrictive diet afterwards...the liquid, full liquid, soft diet stages.....I guess again, afraid isn't the word....but just wonder how big of a bitch I'll be going through it. God help my family.

My fat and I have become pretty good friends through the years.....I wonder who I'll be without it....a different me? a better version of me? a *worse* version of me? or JUST ME?

Mostly my fears are 'what's going to happen'....will I really be successful this time or will I be a laughing stock because I spent all of this money and really don't make my goal?

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez, I sound a little neurotic........well, I guess I am....but it's quite an adventure!

Hi ! I was banded on 3/5 so I'm 4 days out . The pain wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be . I didn't have to do a liquid diet before surgery ,but I did have to lose 5% of my weight before the surgery . I'm now on liquids ( Water, diet snapple, weak tea ) until Monday when I get my staples out ,then I get to have 3 Protein Shakes a day for two weeks . After the two weeks I go on a soft diet . Right now I'd give up my first born for a Protein Shake . Just kidding , but I'm HUNGRY .I think this stage has to be the hardest I hope.

I am in Columbus,Ohio and having the procedure done at Barix. My banding date is 3/26 and I will start on Clear Liquids 3 days before the banding. I am thankful for that since I have read many entries by other people and I know they say they have to start anywhere from 3 days or 2 weeks of clear liquids I am not sure if I could handle 2 weeks of liquids pre-op. I have been doing research on different Protein supplements and trying to make a list of things that I will need before and after surgery. I am trying to get everything together ahead of time since I will be staying with my parents after the procedure for a few days. I want to make sure I have everything I need.

So far my list consist of:

liquid tylenol,gas x strips,flintone chewables, heating pad,protein,broths,jello,etc..I am going to need to get things together. I am going to look into the Isopure that Fenton mentioned earlier if I could get that down that would knock out the majority of my Protein intake.

I went shopping with a friend who was banded 1/14/08.

bought chewable lintstones, and Calcium, liquid tylenol, sf Jello, popsicles, crystal light and broth. thingk i am covered for my 2-3 days of clear liquid before surgery and for the 2-3 days post op.

Anyone else have any recommendations of things those of us looking forward to surgery may have forgotten? :smile2:

you may want something for gas like the Gas x strips. I am in the same boat as you trying to get things together. Maybe yogurt

Wow there have been alot of posts since I last was here.

I had surgery on 3/4 at 10am. Great time cause I got to sleep in a bit. Arrived at the hospital with my sister and husband and was directed to the surgical waiting area. They called my name, I was taken to pre op and given a gown , slippers and a hat, pointed to a tiny restroom. I changed, put my clothes in the bag with my name on it and came out into the pre op area with the beds separated by curtians. I was weighted (255) and assigned a bed. Note on the gown- nice and big made of soft paper and had velcro at the shoulders for-I found out later- ease of removal in surgery. The nurse asked me a million questions-allergies, what I was there for, name, is the ID band correct, medication Im taking. She started the IV, gave me a shot of Lovenox(hurt,stings) and my family was brought in. Anesthesiologist came looked at chart and left.

ok ajonee, you left me hanging on your previous post. what else happened? Did everything end up ok? How are you feeling?

Sidebar- I contacted the complementary medicine department at the hospital about relaxation therapy before surgery and was told to purchase a cd in the gift shop and listen to it before surgery. Than this lady, Irene would come up to pre op and help me with the stress of the surgery. Ok Im game. I buy& listen.

In comes Irene all cheery, did I listen to the cd? yes. Am I still nervous? yes. How about listening to the cd again? screw the cd, I need more then the cd. She rubs my forehead and ears kind of like a massage, but not. She has stinky perfume. Ok I smiled said she could stop. Now she just hovered next to the bed talking about grace and mercy. I tuned her out.

My Dr comes in & starts talking about the procedure and how everything will be fine. OK here it comes- I say It will be fine as long as I don't have a catheter. Dr says well thats not how they do it here. Wait for it.....

Amanda FREAKS!!!!! I banged both hands on the rails of the bed and started in on how I was the patient and what I said goes.

I gotta give the Dr credit he didn't freak (Irene jumped and disappeared) He just continued talking like I never popped a fuse and said maybe I wasn't ready for the band. My sister gives me the look and said I needed to explain why I wasn't going to have the cath. Now Im a little embarrassed and popping off, pissed that the cath has anything to do with getting banded and staring off into the ceiling explain why- infection, pain, and (the kicker) if no cath I will get up and walk more in recovery as with the cath I will remain glued to the bed. I will be a happier more willing patient.

The Dr stops, blinks, says OK, and walks away. I am so pleased with myself.

The Anesthesia nurse comes in with the good drugs, asks me who I am then pumps them in the IV.

They start pushing the bed out of pre op. Sister squeezes my hand and husband gives me a kiss.

I totally freak-again.

Am I doing the right thing? Did I think this through? Someone is going to be CUTTING ME!

This all passes though my head in about 5 seconds. Deep breath. The drugs must be kicking in. I don't care any more. Im just enjoying the view.

Rolled into the surgery suite, asked to slide to other table, centered myself and told them I was "equadistance from both sides of the table". Ha ha. Next thing Im waking up in recovery.

Hi Fenton, Amanda!

You have no idea how helpful your posts are. I have no idea as to the particulars.....and am terrified to go to the post-op side of the board!

Right now, I am almost 2 weeks away from the band. I am trying not to have "last supper" syndrome. I am going out to dinner tomorrow night at Outbacks. I want to eat steak for one last time....... At least for a while. I'm plan on eating well, steak and a salad.

Tuesday, I have my last "clearance" visit with the MD. I'm am getting a little nervous and nutty. I'm not scared of the surgery, just really excited. (OK a little scared because of all the complications they tell you about!) I am having a hard time sleeping at night. (crazy since it is over 2 weeks away).

I have bought various Protein supplements. I have purchased all kinds of "clear" liquids for the 2 days prior to surgery and for the day I come home. I have the stuff for the "full" liquid diet.

This surgery is occupying my mind like nothing else ever has. Can you tell?

HarleyGirl: I too am afraid of the post anestesia nausea. With all three of my c-sections, I vomitted when beign put under. I have never had general. but am scared of vommiting with a new band. I will mention it to my anestesiologist.

I am also afraid of this not working. I have told many people at work (mush to my dismay) and am afraid of failing. I too have been obese for so long I cannot even imagine being smaller than a size 18 ( which I would love to be at this point).

Thanks for posting, because it's nice to know I am not alone.

Christine

Goodness Lynn - you are in Delaware. Dr. Peters at Chrias is my surgeon! 3/19 - That must mean that you are having your surgery at Christiana?

I think you just might be the lady I sat next to for life classes? I have red hair......

Im asked if Im in pain, rate it 1-10, I said 3 or 4. nurse said you mean more like 7 right? Nope , then I remember about how if you say you're nauseated they give you something that has a side effect of making you really sleepy and Im thinking sleepy would be really good now. So I say Im nauseous. In go the drugs out goes Amanda.

I woke up about 2 hours later with the nurse saying that I needed to be moved to the bed I would be in overnight. HA? Bed? You mean moved to room, right. Nope. No room at the hospital, Im going to be staying at the back end of the recovery with 3 other Lap banders. Great.

So they tell my family to leave and get me out of bed. Here is where I found out about the velcro on the gown. noone redid it after putting it back on after surgery and as I go to sit up I flashed the recovery room and my fellow patients all my new incisions and my boobs. Great.

I get wrapped up, moved, pit stop at the john where I have to pee in a container they called the hat and connected to monitors and compression bootys. So starts my first overnight stay in the hospital.