Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Pipes - if you're going to a place that does lap banding, don't worry, they'll have gowns and a wide enough table! They didn't have my size gown because I went to a special monitoring room, which I thoroughly regret. And seriously, the surgery went just as I wrote it, the anesthesiologist putting the mask to my face, and then me waking up in the recovery room breathing room air. This is the 21st Century, man! No choking, no gasping, just asleep and awake before you know it, surgery all finished. YOU'LL BE FINE, my friend! And on your way to being even finer...

Pipinje! Hi-five to my freshly-banded sister!

Oh, one other thing. You might also have a slight sore throat from the tube, and be a bit phlegmy - it's to be expected. I like Cepaclor lozenges, which take the edge off it, but whatever you like for a sore throat will be fine, I'm sure. And mine only lasted one night.

Also, I think it's key to get up and get walking right away!

Oh, one other thing. You might also have a slight sore throat from the tube, and be a bit phlegmy - it's to be expected. I like Cepaclor lozenges, which take the edge off it, but whatever you like for a sore throat will be fine, I'm sure. And mine only lasted one night.

Also, I think it's key to get up and get walking right away!

I definitely had a sore throat from the tube. I used the spray chloroseptic on the back of my throat and it helped lots.

Fenton, thanks for all the detailed information it is a great help for me and i am sure for others who are waiting to be banded. I am going to look into the Isopure. One question I have is were you awake when they put the tube down your throat? That is my biggest fear ever!!!! I know it sound illy but it is something I fear. Also what were some on the items you took with you to the hospital? What did you use and what did you not even need?

Fenton, thanks for all the detailed information it is a great help for me and i am sure for others who are waiting to be banded. I am going to look into the Isopure. One question I have is were you awake when they put the tube down your throat? That is my biggest fear ever!!!! I know it sound illy but it is something I fear. Also what were some on the items you took with you to the hospital? What did you use and what did you not even need?

I think being awake for the tube was also one of my biggest fears. And no, I was sound asleep and don't even remember the experience. :thumbup:

I think being awake for the tube was also one of my biggest fears. And no, I was sound asleep and don't even remember the experience. :smile2:

They made a point at my pre op appointment of telling us we would be asleep when it went in and asleep when it comes out......that made me happy!

I'm getting very eager to JUST DO IT ALREADY!

Hell no! I was asleep for the tubing! Most people are; in a small number of people, they sometimes need to put the tube down before they put you out to sleep, but:

1. You're sedated and don't care about anything in the world

2. They spray an anesthetic in the back of your throat, so even if you DID care about anything in the world, you wouldn't even notice it

3. You're asleep within a few seconds of the tube going down.

Relax, the anesthesia is a piece of cake. A friend of mine who's had that kind of intubation said it was about as bad as that suction thing the dentist puts into your mouth.

I took a bunch of stuff to the hospital, but really didn't use any of it. They know the issues with which you're dealing, and are prepared for them.

At home, I've used:

liquid Tylenol - definitely get this! It's more expensive than crushing up a couple of acetaminophen tablets, but it tastes far better and is far more convenient - you don't want to be messing with crushing pills while you're feeling a bit icky post-op.

Gas-X strips - not as helpful as walking, but in the middle of the night, they'll do

Prilosec 20 mg tabs - my doctor didn't specifically recommend these, but these acid-reducing tablets seem like a good idea to me. I saw them recommended on the web site for another Lap Banding center, and went for it. You can find cheaper generics under the name Omeprazole; the dose recommended was 20 mg per day for four weeks. I bought a two week supply, and am not sure whether I'm going to get another pack; we'll see, depending on how my gut is feeling when this pack runs out. The Prilosec is a pain in the butt to crush, but I suspect it's worth it.

Flintstones chewables

Isopure clear Protein drink - there are four flavors in Zero Carb, and then a fruit PUnch with sugar. Each 20 oz bottle gives you a decent amount of Fluid, plus 40 mg of Protein. Post-op, I've not been taking in much in the way of protein or calories - I'm going to start working on that today. I think the iSopure is an easy way to do it. Plus I don't know if I'm ready for the thickness of the SLimfast Optima on which I was living before surgery.

HEATING PAD! I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but the cats seem to like it. I guess my stomach does too.

The shower! I'm probably showering too much. Again, I came out of the hospital all exhausted and sleep-deprived, slept too much and too hard on the night of my first post-op day, awoke all achey and painy. Time under the hot Water helps the knots dissolve. I was careful not to get my incisions too wet, but I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

And, of course, walking. Walking walking walking. It really makes all the difference in the world.

So: post-operative day 3

I feel like myself again! I slept pretty well, despite having to constantly fend off cats wanting to climb on my belly (I only have two, but they are persistent). I woke up, the nausea/funny feeling in my stomach had eased a bit - it's still there, but now it's not coloring the way I see the day.

Last night, in the shower, I took off the clear plastic film dressings covering my incisions, according to instructions from the surgical team. The steristrips underneath look OK, a bit icky/blood-stained, a bit of visible bruising around the wounds. According to the surgeons, the steristrips will fall off when they're good and ready.

I'm worried I'm showering too much - I love a long soak in a hot bath, and that's not allowed by my surgeon for two weeks (for FOUR weeks on the Columbia web site!). I think I may be cheating by standing in the shower so long - it's almost the same as a vertical bath. But the muscle aches have eased, so I'll cut down on that.

I wasn't taking enough Fluid in yesterday - (excuse me, this next bit is going to be a bit explicit) - I want to be peeing paler, as it were. I'm going to concentrate on keeping well-hydrated, and also try to raise my calories and Protein with Isopure. And have some broth. Although I'm not really hungry, not really wanting anything.

Also - explicit again - I finally went to the toilet. Not very much, but the thing is working! It's been three days since the last time.

Pain/discomfort is now minimal. I feel a slight tugging when I stand or lean over, but that's about it.

So, today, my POD3 plan is:

1. Increase fluids

2. Add iSopure (which I should have done yesterday, but I didn't have any)

3. Walk, walk, walk

Oh! Is that the On-Q Pump? ( Ask Your Surgeon About Using ON-Q PainBuster to Reduce Your Pain After Surgery. ) Mine annoyed me to no end. We finally removed it yesterday. I'm so glad it's gone. I totally understand your frustration as it seemed to get in the way. However, I did notice a BIG difference in pain after it was gone, so I ended up missing it...but only a little. :sad:

YES!!! The On-Q. Get's it the way and a pain to sleep with. I tend to take it off my neck everytime I am at rest, because my neck starts cramping. LOL I guess my mom was right. I was begging her to take it out early (because she is a nurse) and she said you probably don't know how much it is doing for you. So guess I will wait until it is empty! :smile2:

Congratulations, nice to know your surgeon is taking all the precautions he sees fit.

bummer on the sleep apnea. i had my sleep study done in August, before I was considering the lapband. Then I was told, no need for cpap, it is not that bad. the when i went to pulmonologist for clearance they said, you need cpap.. so got it a week ago, and will get my clearance for that on Monday. I will admit, I have slept much better this past week. Si it is helping me sleep more soundly.

My DH used it for the first time last night and he said he only got up once in the middle of the night vs. 3-4 time prior to using it so I guess it is working.:smile2:

Pipinje! Hi-five to my freshly-banded sister!

Thanks Fenton. Right back at ya! :smile2:

I definitely had a sore throat from the tube. I used the spray chloroseptic on the back of my throat and it helped lots.

Ditto on the sore throat. Not too bad that I needed anything for it though.

I wasn't taking enough Fluid in yesterday - (excuse me, this next bit is going to be a bit explicit) - I want to be peeing paler, as it were. I'm going to concentrate on keeping well-hydrated, and also try to raise my calories and Protein with Isopure. And have some broth. Although I'm not really hungry, not really wanting anything.

Also - explicit again - I finally went to the toilet. Not very much, but the thing is working! It's been three days since the last time.

Fenton, I was worried about not taking in enogh fliuds so I have been drinking gatorage since the surgery. It is a god send. They have the G-2 which is diet friendly. Check it out. Those electrolytes keep you hydrated!

Now the toilet thing....did that the day after surgery!!!! I was grateful I could. :smile2: Keep partaking in those fluids!!!!