Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

oh, i am so excited for you. Are you ready for the surgery? You have 2 days to go.

Oh yes! I am ready, I have done all the correct research and have decided on Dr. Aceves and feel like he is the perfect choice.

I have prepared everthing, except I haven't been nervous until the past few days. I am not scared, just reading different threads and I see the ups and downs and I just hope I am one of the ones who has a successful lapband.

hey innuertube... congrats on being so close. it's completely natural to be nervous. the night before my surgery (3/3), i was up till 5am. and the morning of surgery, fleeting thoughts of not showing up at the hospital did cross my mind. waking up from surgery was awful, as was most of that day. my surgery was at noon. i woke up around 3, tried unsuccessfully to walk around 6, went back to sleep and woke up around 9p. by then, i felt exponentially better and was able to walk the halls a bit. by wednesday morning, i was sore but feeling pretty good. it can only get better from here.

good luck with your surgery!

Thank you so much.. Wow! you just had surgery. I plan on going back to work on monday, I sit down most of the time, but I have a very relaxed job so I am not concerned about that, just hoping all goes well. I have read so many different thread with so many different results, and I think that has something to do with me getting nervous, I have read the good and the bad experiences, and I am praying that mine is all good. I am taking a huge step to make changes in my life, and I hope that my story is a success.

And thank you so much for sharing your story with me, it means alot. Good luck in your future. :)

Well, my insurance approved the surgery!! Yeah!!

But.... when I called the surgeon's office, the staff told me that I need to do a sleep study first. I am very irritated about this because I would have done this months ago had I known. Anybody else get this kind of junk?

This also means that I may not be a Shrinking Shamrock :)

I do not know when I will be able to do the sleep study, and how long out the surgeries are being scheduled. I am disappointed.

Here's a tip from someone who had a sleep study x2 -- they put me down for an initial date and asked if I could be flexible and come earlier if they had an opening. Believe it or not, they called me twice with just 4 hours to commit to go and have it done. The first time I couldn't go but the 2nd time, I moved up about 2 weeks from the original appointment. So definitely tell them you want the earliest date they can give you and you'd like to be on a standby call list if someone else cancels that you could come in on short notice.

Good luck!

:)

Fenton and Pipinje thinking of you today! Best of luck and speedy recovery!

Christine

Thanks! I'm on my way to the hospital in 20 minutes.

I'll post as soon as I can - probably tomorrow, since NYU doesn't have internet access in its wards...

You guys take care, now.

I'll post as soon as I can - probably tomorrow, since NYU doesn't have internet access in its wards...

You guys take care, now.

Good thoughts for you, Fenton!

Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow!

Got my Medic Id Bracelet today in the mail that I ordered. Its really cute! Can't wait to put it on and wear it home from the hospital. LOL

Plus bought some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury powder that is Unflavored (so I can mix it with other things) and the chicken Soup version. I've got another brand (GNC) of chocolate shake and vanilla Protein shake mix Also bought some Diet Cranberry Ocean Spray, sugar free popsicles. I bought Skim Milk but don't expect to get to drink that in the first week post op but its really thin so I plan to ask at my pre-op testing and talk with the nutritionist.

Well, I was banded yesterday and am home today! Overall I have to say it was much less painful than I'd expected. The docs did a great job starting the pain meds while I was out, and anti-nausea drugs too. I had just a bit of nausea the first time I tried to walk, then it was okay. I didn't sleep very well on the morphine-type stuff, I have to say. Now I'm home on Clear liquids and Loritab, and feeling quite well. Thank god I had no shoulder or gas pain that I've noticed.

Good luck to everyone -- it feels great to have the surgery behind me!

Well, I was banded yesterday and am home today! Overall I have to say it was much less painful than I'd expected. The docs did a great job starting the pain meds while I was out, and anti-nausea drugs too. I had just a bit of nausea the first time I tried to walk, then it was okay. I didn't sleep very well on the morphine-type stuff, I have to say. Now I'm home on Clear Liquids and Loritab, and feeling quite well. Thank god I had no shoulder or gas pain that I've noticed.

I'm so glad you are doing well, Michelle. I hope you continue to feel little to no discomfort, nausea or pain. :crying:

Well, I was banded yesterday and am home today! Overall I have to say it was much less painful than I'd expected. The docs did a great job starting the pain meds while I was out, and anti-nausea drugs too. I had just a bit of nausea the first time I tried to walk, then it was okay. I didn't sleep very well on the morphine-type stuff, I have to say. Now I'm home on clear liquids and Loritab, and feeling quite well. Thank god I had no shoulder or gas pain that I've noticed.

I'm so happy for you Michelle. I am hopeful my process goes as easy as yours. I can't help but think it's going to be like my c-section, which went very well for me in terms of healing.

You guys take care, now.

Hope everything went well for you today Fenton.:crying:

I really like the idea of having the entire March Bandsters thread.

I'm scheduled for 3/19/08. My doctor does not require a pre-op diet, but I think I'm gonna try to start a week before surgery on some type of liquid diet. I'm trying to get on the ball with ordering everything so it's ready when I get home.

Michelle: Glad everything went well and you are back home. I had those gas pains after my c-sections and they were bad. I pray I don't get any with this surgery.

Christine

Michelle: Glad everything went well and you are back home. I had those gas pains after my c-sections and they were bad. I pray I don't get any with this surgery.

Christine

Thank you! One thing I realized last night was to take the pain meds (liquid Loritab) right on time. Don't be brave like I tried to be. Ouch! I also have Gas-x strips at someone's recommendation here and those work for stomach gas. Finally, not to give TMI (too much info), but wow the bowel activity last night was something even though there is nothing in there. Sipping a Protein drink now in hopes it blocks things up a bit!

I've been thinking about what things different people or posts have said have been helpful and I'm getting my shopping list together and thought others might have something to add to help me:

1. Liquid Tylenol
  2. Cup Warmer - I was told to put a small saucer on this to keep your food warm because it takes so long to eat that food goes cold.
  3. Candy or meat Thermometer so you can be sure you don't heat liquids up past 130 degrees or you let them cool down to that temp if you are going to mix Protein (like Unjury) into it. I have the chicken Soup version and they have big warnings it will curdle if you mix it with too hot Water.< br />
  4. Digital scale - to accurately weigh 1 or 2 oz of something.
  5. Tape measure - to take my Before measurements
  6. Disposable camera to take to the hospital or have at home after to take some Before or even Scar stage pictures (if you are brave enough) :tongue:
  7. Blender - if you didn't have one before.
  8. Hand blender to mix shakes or puree food.