Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes make want to puke!!

I've tried several different shakes (Unjury, GNC whey, a couple others, too) and I can not bring myself to drink any of them. Luckily, I haven't had any nausea since my surgery. However, I have tried to just suck it up and swallow the Protein Shakes, but they make me gag. I am scared I may be doing more harm than good by making myslef drink them. My question is, are they really necessary now that I am onto soft food stage???

I've tried several different shakes (unjury, GNC Whey, a couple others, too) and I can not bring myself to drink any of them. Luckily, I haven't had any nausea since my surgery. However, I have tried to just suck it up and swallow the Protein shakes, but they make me gag. I am scared I may be doing more harm than good by making myslef drink them. My question is, are they really necessary now that I am onto soft food stage???

jrg1979,

I have been trying things out so that I know what I like before I get the surgery. Try "Muscle Milk" -- you can get it at GNC. It has a pretty pleasant taste and it's smooth. I've tried banana Creme & Light chocolate Milk. Another alternative would be the NEW Low Carb Slim Fast...both Creamy chocolate & vanilla are good. I usually blend the slimfast with ice and two strawberries. It makes the chocolate and vanilla taste good. It has 20g of Protein. Also very little carbs.

I spent a lot of time while on the liquid post-op diet trying to find ways to tolerate Protein shakes. I found two, a chocolate (EAS Advantage) and a vanilla (Designer Whey) that I can tolerate by adding a shot or two of sugarfree DaVinci Syrup, and/or some fruit.< /p>

But after starting soft then solid foods I only have Protein Shakes for two days after a fill. I can stand three a day for two days without a problem.

Some of the Protein powders I tried tasted better when they sat, mixed with the DaVinci syrup, for awhile in the refrigerator before I drank them. Others tasted better when mixed with soy milk (I don't use regular milk, but the principle is the same) compared to Water.

Kind of rambling - I think the answer is no, you don't really need Protein Shakes, but they are an efficient way of getting adequate protein during times when you're restricted to liquids.

i like the Atkins shakes - mocha is good but the caramel latte is my fave.

i second the muscle milk, but i dont really recommend them unless you are working out and burning the fat. even the 'light' has quite a bit of fat in it.

good luck. i have tons of huge tubs that i loathed ...

The powder - I have to add ice to it when I blend it - also about 1 tsp low fat Peanut Butter to the chocolate makes it pretty good. My Dr. won't allow powders once you have been banded, you have to drink the pre-canned kind - I still put them in my bullet with a couple cubes of ice, it really changes the consistancy.

yeah, I've tried putting them through the bullet with some fresh bananas or strawberries, which makes some of the taste tolerable, but they all get so thick - disgusting. Of course, I am NOT a milk drinker to start with.

im drinking them 3 days out opti fast its not that bad if u add lil more Water n a few ice cubes into the bullet.. and blend away..

but every 1 has diff tastes.. =)

yeah, I've tried putting them through the bullet with some fresh bananas or strawberries, which makes some of the taste tolerable, but they all get so thick - disgusting. Of course, I am NOT a milk drinker to start with.

Try putting some ice in with the fruit to thin the drink out. I've found that to be helpful.

I have being using Isopure no carb Protein Shakes almost every morning as a meal for the past 2 1/2 years, lost 130 lbs. after having my banding in 7/04 and i swear by them, hardly any flab, remember Protein goes right to your muscles. This is my receipe 1 jigger of isopure, 1 4 oz container of fat free yogurt, 1/3 banana, 1/2 skim plus milk and 1/4 cup frozen fruit or canned fruit put in a blender and a fancy glass and I promise you won't puke...

Isopure no carb Protein Powder is the best of them all. I was banded in 2004 and down 130 lbs. Thanks to my Protein Drinks in the morning I don't have much flab, remember Protein goes right to your muscles. This is my receipe and I love it. l jigger of vanilla isopure (25 grams of protein), 1-4 oz. fat free yogurt, 1/3 banana, 1/2 skim plus milk (more if you want it thinner), 1/2 frozen mixed fruit or lite canned fruit and enjoy, I promise you will not puke, its so refreshing and put it in a big fancy wine glass and its even better. I buy it on the internet because its cheaper then the Vitamin Shoppe. Try bodybuilders.com. I even put this powder in my mashed potatoes....think protein protein protein...I like the vanilla one better because it mixes better with different fruits. Good Luck!

I've also been drinking muscle milk and it really is good. The chocolate tastes like chocolate milk. You can get them at GNC, CVS Pharmacy, and costco. I haven't tried the ones that you mix yourself...I only get the ones that are already mixed and in liquid form. I am a very picky eater and it doesn't take much to make me gag...I can barely eat veggies! But the muscle milk really is good and I don't have any problems with it.

I am doing a modified version of my pre-op diet to get my body and mind prepared for this crazy diet. I dont officially have to start until Monday, but I need to work my way into it! I have also tried the Muscle Milk and I love it, but I got the wrong one. I didn't get the "Lite". I am devastated! I thought I might be able to survive this pre-op diet with this Muscle Milk. Usually the Lite version of stuff is never as good as the original. Is the lite version good?

I am doing a modified version of my pre-op diet to get my body and mind prepared for this crazy diet. I dont officially have to start until Monday, but I need to work my way into it! I have also tried the Muscle Milk and I love it, but I got the wrong one. I didn't get the "Lite". I am devastated! I thought I might be able to survive this pre-op diet with this Muscle Milk. Usually the Lite version of stuff is never as good as the original. Is the lite version good?

Yes, it's good, but as Losing Jusme stated and bought to my attention it is high in fat...even the lite.