Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I'm panicing

I just read the literature (80 some pages) the surgeon's office gave me. How does everyone keep track of how much Protein they eat/drink? It's overwhelming to me that I am going to have to try to get all that in.

It also seems like it is going to be a constant issue getting in all the fluids during the "fluids only" stage.

Am I making too much of this? I know everybody seems like they get thru this period fine but have any of you also been overwhelmed and survived? Can you provide any strategies?

Thanks,

Carla :confused2:

i thought the same thing and i will be banded in march. from what i gather from others daily food logs, that they have so graciously posted, Protein Drinks still play a pretty big role in teh daily food intake. as we get thru the phases i believe typical days become semi routine with certain staples every day. that is my plan anyway......one day at a time and that is all we can do. g2s

We must have the same book, lol. I spoke to the nutrionist who completely broke everything down for me and explained at all in my terms.;)

Every day starting at 2 weeks post op I HAVE to have 60 grams of Protein. So she gave me a list of drinks and how much Protein. For example:

EAS 100% whey Protein Powder-one scoop of that is 23 grams of Protein. Put that in a glass (8oz) of MOOTOPIA SKIM MILK, which is 14 grams of protein to total 37 grams of protein in that one drink. Do that 2 times a day and you got it! You can get the powder from HEB (or grocery store), Walmart or Sams Club.

As far as liquid stage. I have to drink 64 oz of Water a day. So that is 8 sports bottles worth. So that is how I am going to keep track and becasue we can't gulp the Dr. told me to sip ALL DAY LONG! Also she said you can use crystal light and that "counts" as Water.< /p>

I was very panicked too but I just asked lots of questions. Hope this helped a little.

P.S. Here is the website I am getting my Vitamins and Protein Drinks and powder from. Bariatric Advantage - Nutritional supplements, Vitamins, Proteins, and Help for Gastric Bypass, Distal, Lap Band, and Duodenal Switch Surgery Patients

To get the fluids in for the day, it's really easy if you have an egg timer. Set it for about every 10-15 mins and take sips. I had a hard time getting in all my Water, but it sure made me get in MORE water to have that little reminder.

I try to "eat" at least 10-20 grams of Protein each meal... and then drink one or two Protein drinks to reach my goal of 100 grams per day.

Personally, I do not like the "milky" type Protein shakes... I have always been more of a gatorade type girl. I tried a lot of protein drinks before I had my surgery so I would know what I liked and didn't like.

You can buy samples of protein drinks at Vitalady.com - Protein supplements, Vitamins & Minerals, and Safe Snacks!. I think she has a few hundred different types. I paid $1.50 for each sample (which was one serving... 34.5g of protein). The "Nectar" lemonade flavor is really good ;)

She also sells this really cool battery operated mixing/drinking cup. I bought one... just to try... then went back and bought FOUR more!

I absolutely L-O-V-E "CytoSport" Protein drinks (the tangerine tastes just like Sunny-D). This brand also has the highest amount of potassium that I have found. 40g of protein per bottle, zero carbs, 160 calories (I think). You can buy them at the VitaminShoppe, GNC, etc.

The "ProteinSLAMs" are also pretty good. I like the peach flavored one. Sometimes they seem a bit too syrupy though and I have to dilute them.

I also make popsicles out of these protein drinks for when I am feeling "snacky". I have discovered that diluting them with a little with Water before pouring them into the popsicle molds prevents them from melting too fast.

Everybodies suggestions are helpful. I know this is something I want to do and have to do if I want to live a long and successful life. I can't keep going the way I am.

Ronwifey: Who is doing your surgery? I didn't even think about adding the Protein from whatever you add the powder to. My husband is big into exercising and he doesn't feel it will be hard to get in the Protein. I just feel like all I will be doing is drinking all day. Which in turn means I'll probably be in the bathroom all night :lol:

Quasitova: I am not much into the fruit flavored stuff or even milk. I drink mostly Water. Do they make any supplements that are flavorless that can go in Water? I know that is probably a dream but that would be the ultimate for me.

i thought the same thing before the band

basically, my doctor told me that right after the surg. it is just a healing phase. don't worry about weight loss in the very beginning . Your tummy needs to heal after surgery. I had the Protein Shakes that were watered down alot, broth (just sipped on it), and Water. You are not going to be malnourished in a week. Try not to worry about it, like I did, really, in the end it's so worth it.

Quasitova: I am not much into the fruit flavored stuff or even milk. I drink mostly Water. Do they make any supplements that are flavorless that can go in Water? I know that is probably a dream but that would be the ultimate for me.

I am the same way. I prefer water to anything else.

So far, I have not found one that is flavorless that doesn't add some weird texture to the water.

The closest I can find is the nectar lemonade... and CytoSport, which is more like gatorade.

I tried adding the "supposed" flavorless Protein powders to food (mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc) but the texture was HORRIBLE to me. I could still tell it was there.

So, I just try to eat 10-20 grams of Protein each meal (which is easy to do)... and then supplement with a Protein Drink.

If your goal is only 60 grams per day, you should be able to reach that with just food.< /p>