Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what kind of bands used in mexico

i'm curious about the type band people are getting in mexico. I hear there are some great ones used that aren't fda approved here. wondered if anyone had one of these, like french midband? If so do you get your fills in the u.s. ? I'm thinking of returning to the Dr. in Mexico but worry about things like emergencies (???) I know that in a true medical emergency and doctor could remove the band, which is somewhat comforting.

don't get banded in Mexico - people come to California constantly to have them fixed - ONLY get the LAPBAND AP SYSTEM

Good at least they gave you a good band - The Realize Band is 14 year old obsolete technology - Don't be fooled by Johnson and Johnsons slick ad campaign - That band is crap and no doctor worth his salt would use it

I had my band in Juarez Mexico, by Dr. Rodriges. I had the brand new fda approved johnson and johnson band. It's supposed to be one of the best to date. My Dr. has been doing bands for much longer than U.S. Dr's. Plus if your paying out of pocket it's a lot cheaper. I got to stay 2 nights in the hospital and it was the best stay in a hospital I've ever had. I can also get fills done in the U.S. no problem. Good luck, don't be afraid of Mexico, my hospitales Angeles was awesome and brand new. It was like staying in a 4 star hotel. Private room, granite counter tops, and very clean. I loved it!

donholl1, congratulations on 57 lbs. lost in under 7 months. and you got the inamed band. Have you had any trouble getting it filled? Do you get it done in the u.s. or go back to mexico? If in the u.s., do you think it was possible mainly because you used a us approved band, inamed? Which part of the country are you in. I'm in St. Louis, MO. I'm 205 lbs now and getting banded on Feb 26. would love to chat with you about your success. Did you have to have the inamed band stitched in place to your stomach? Any discomfort at stitches? So far your story inspires me AND I AM NERVOUS. Appreciate any reply, Lisa717

Hi Lisa, I go to Dr. Allen in Lou. Ky. for fill. Lots of U.S. doctors do fills. Don`t be afraid of Mexico. Just do your research on the doctor you choose, wherever he or she is. Welcome to the site and congrats on your up coming surgery. All the bands are stitched in place and my recovery was easy.For best results drink lots of Water and exercise. Donna

Lisa 717 - make sure you get the Inamed LapBand AP - The reason this band is better is that it allows for a custom fit at the time its placed. 3-4 cc of Fluid will be left in the band when it's placed jumpstarting your success- The AP is the ONLY band that this can be done with because of its low pressure system and Omniform Technology allowing for a even distribution of fluid.

Lisa 717 - make sure you get the Inamed LapBand AP - The reason this band is better is that it allows for a custom fit at the time its placed. 3-4 cc of Fluid will be left in the band when it's placed jumpstarting your success- The AP is the ONLY band that this can be done with because of its low pressure system and Omniform Technology allowing for a even distribution of Fluid.< /div>

where are you getting your information? If you read Inamed's recs they state that the first fill should be at LEAST 6 weeks after placement, and that is when 3-4 CCs of fluid is placed. putting fluid in right away is dangerous and can lead to an obstructed stoma when combined with post op swelling. Not only that, you bashed the realize band stating that it was older technology, my understanding is that the band itself is very similar but it has a lower profile port.

:thumbup:Got my Inamed in Tijuana, Mexico. As always, do your research,research,research, on the doctor and the band(s) that they offer. I personally feel that you would be safest sticking with the bands that doctors are most familiar with here in the U.S. Good Luck!

Good at least they gave you a good band - The Realize Band is 14 year old obsolete technology - Don't be fooled by Johnson and Johnsons slick ad campaign - That band is crap and no doctor worth his salt would use it

Where are you getting this? This is not what my research shows. The Inamed band was first introduced in 1993, which is almost 15 years ago. It is older than the Realize band by several years.

As for it being "crap" and "no doctor worth his salt" using it, all the top surgeons in my area are starting to use them in their practice. It also has better slip stats than the Inamed.

Being around along time is not necessarily a bad thing, btw. It means the technology is proven. But of course that means that other companies have had time to make even more improvements. For example, there is now a 3rd band that is being used in other countries that has even better stats than either Inamed or Realize, but hasn't been approved by the FDA for use in the US. I guess that's the price we pay for living somewhere that's conservative about approving things. :)

I originally inquired about the Realize band but my doc talked me out of it. Im a med student and know about the way companies skew data. Where am I getting this from? I asked my surgeon what the real deal is and wrote down everything she said. I asked a lot of questions and took a lot of notes. The first generation Inamed band was not FDA approved until 2001 and even that band has better technology than the Realize. Research was done prior, in the early 90's. The AP band was introduced in Summer 2007 and is the only band with an even distribution of Fluid which allows a custom fit at placement. If you put both bands in front of a five year old they would be able to tell you instantly which is better quality my doctor said.

The slip states you are looking at are skewed data to make the Realize Band look better than it really is. What J&J is not telling you is they are not comparing equals when looking at slip data. The information on their site about the Inamed band was from the original trials. Now keep this in mind- all the physicians in the original trial had no laproscopic surgical experience and the Peri- Gastiric technique of implantation was used. The first technique (Peri-gastric) of implantation was associated with much higher slip rates. The average weight loss was around 35-37%.

Now years later The Realize band comes out and they use all the doctors that have 5 years of Laroscopic Surgical experience in the study and use the better implantation technique which decreases slippage (Pars-Flaccida technique) They had a 43% average weight loss. Wouldn't you think the outcome would be better considering that?

Then Inamed does a trial with over 1000 patients using similar study parameters (Pars Flaccida technique and experienced Surgeons) to The Realize Band. The Slippage rate is now 2.3% and average weight loss is 62% at 3 years.

Johnson and Johnson are masters of taking shitty products and marketing them as the best thing around. Go to their website and try and find a picture of their band inflated- You wont cause it creases all over the place (old technology) If their technology is proven please tell me why there have been 100,000 Swedish/Realize bands implanted and 350,000 Inamed bands when the Swedish Band has been out longer?

I will take a 62% average weight loss over 43% any day. - there is not one doctor in NYC where the most prestigious doctors in the country are who is using the Realize Band. That's enough for me - when I get my band in 2 months Im getting the AP. When I buy a car, I want a new one, not a 14 year old outdated model.