Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Lapband Control Appetite?

Hi, I am new to the forum, but have been seriously considering Lapband op to gain an edge in my battle against obesity.

I am a 400 lb. male (6-0 tall), age 30, and have a ravenous appetite. I am able to control it with moderate success using Rx anorectic drug Meridia (15mg ED). Unlike other appetite suppressants, Meridia is literally free of side effects for me.

With that in mind, I would like to know from other forum members who've had the Lap Band op and to see how it controlled their appetite from a mental point of view.

I strongly believe most obese humans have a marked level of hyperactivity with the neuropeptides that control hunger. I do fear that if my appetite was not controlled as a result of the surgery, I could possibly over eat and endure serious complications.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone!

YES........ IT IS GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE THE RIGHT RESTRICTION. I FIND MYSELF HAVING TO MAKE MYSELF EAT! If you have the right restriction you cannot over eat even if you try! Sure you can take in too many calories with milkshakes and such... but even with a milkshake a few sips and I am way too full!

I'm only about 6 weeks post surgery and had my 2nd fill today, and I've been fairly hungry so far. I've had to use a lot of will power with my eating plan to be successful to date.

I'm only about 6 weeks post surgery and had my 2nd fill today, and I've been fairly hungry so far. I've had to use a lot of will power with my eating plan to be successful to date.

Thanks for the reply, Linda. On a scale of 1-10 (ten being the highest), how would you rate your appetite for unhealthy foods both pre-Lap Band and post-Lab Band?

Also, has your doctor offered any medical solution to help curb your appetite?

As long as you can mentally see the difference between head hunger and real hunger, you'll notice that it does help a bit.

Neveragain, would you say the lapband has decreased your appetite, or perhaps, made it more controllable sense the level of food (good or bad) you can consume has been drastically reduced?

The band is great at controlling physical hunger. Mental hunger on the other hand is something that we have to learn to overcome. You can eat around the band. Now, that being said, I am a strong advocate of the band but I do battle mental and emotional hunger. I find I do not crave the foods I used to, and it is almost impossible for me to eat any fast food. If I have a really emotional or stress full day, I will go to Chicfila and get a milkshake and drink it all. Does it hurt every once in a while, no probably not. But, I don't need all that fat and calories and sugar. I would suggest talking to your doctor about the lapband and see what he recommends. He may keep you on your meds for a while to help combat your head hunger and suggest you seek professional (mental) help with the issues of why you over eat. I am not saying you are a nutcase, but with most of us there are underlying physcological reasons why we over eat.

Atlanta SEO,

I am not even one month post-op--haven't had a fill or anything. So I am now free to eat "normal food" and not Soup, liquid, etc...

My feeling has been that I now get a "stop sign" whenever I eat past a certain amount. Right now I can eat more than I will be able to after my first fill (on 3/15), but it's significantly less than I used to shove in my face. It's about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups I think.

I just don't feel like recreationally eating like I used to. I know there is a limited amount of space in there before things start getting unpleasant, so I don't waste it on "filler" like breads or sweets. I used to have a lot of trouble stopping when eating nuts, or other favorite Snacks. Now I can eat a couple of cashews and chew em up real good, and that's enough for me.

We'll see what it's like when I get a fill, but I expect my lack of hunger to only get better! so far, so good!

--Andrea

Hi, I am new to the forum, but have been seriously considering Lapband op to gain an edge in my battle against obesity.

I am a 400 lb. male (6-0 tall), age 30, and have a ravenous appetite. I am able to control it with moderate success using Rx anorectic drug Meridia (15mg ED). Unlike other appetite suppressants, Meridia is literally free of side effects for me.

With that in mind, I would like to know from other forum members who've had the Lap Band op and to see how it controlled their appetite from a mental point of view.

I strongly believe most obese humans have a marked level of hyperactivity with the neuropeptides that control hunger. I do fear that if my appetite was not controlled as a result of the surgery, I could possibly over eat and endure serious complications.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone!

Here is my take. I had surgery on 11/6/07 and since then I have done very well losing weight. I must admit that I have had the hardest time dealing with head hunger vs real hunger.

I was a big eater. I could eat anyone under the table. I just never seemed to have the full feeling. The biggest reason for my weight being 358lbs. I was told when researching the Band that it was great for the overeater because it restricts how much you can eat. I definately agree because I cannot eat the portions that I used to at all without feeling very full. I am not at a restricted level yet because I do find that I can still eat more than I should but still not as much as I used to.

Take tonight for example. I was hungry because I had eaten lunch at 11:30 and starving. I stopped at the store and got some cashews for a snack and ate every bit. Since I have been very busy today we decided to have Chinese for dinner. I had a plate of a little bit of everything but as I write this I am very full....I ate to much. I have not been able figure out the signal that tells me when to stop eating until it is to late and I am over full.

So I guess that I have to still learn some self control or I will be uncomfortable a lot. The Band works because it restricts how much you can eat without feeling overfull if you learn the signal. I am pretty conscious of this so I do try to work it through Portion Control. Sometimes I overdo it but most times I am very satisfied with the recommend portions.

Not sure if this helps. But best wishes in your journey. I am so glad that I did it.

Well, I have to be honest, my appetite for unhealthy foods post surgery has been very similar to what it was pre surgery - as in, I want to indulge just as often, but I fill up MUCH quicker when I do. The biggest thing is that that craving, or appetite, disappears when you feel absolutely satisfied and full, so you may still get the urges but you are unlikely to overeat when you do eat! I could eat an entire packet of chocolate biscuits, now 3 feels like the same sort of pig out, if you get what I mean. So you get comparable satisfaction for much less food. You will stop, believe me.

Also the chewing you have to do, I swear that's one of the biggest reasons why the band works. Its amazing how satisfying small amounts of food are when you dont just inhale it like you used to. I cannot say I've EVER felt deprived of one single thing I've wanted.

For about 4 months after surgery, I had little appetite, much like being on Tenuate or Duromine - just no interest.. Over time it came back, but its not as out of control as it was. Most of it is head hunger, and I find that I must be careful to eat ENOUGH with a lap band - I must have meals with a good mix of Protein and low GI carbs or I get cravings for rubbish like Cookies and cake. I do better when I eat a snack morning and afternoon regardless of physical hunger too, a small, well planned intake regularly throughout the day really makes a difference to me, whereas a tiny Breakfast, a few crackers and cheese for lunch and I can guarantee I'll be raiding the biscuit barrel by 4pm.

I also find when I get that "ooh, I want to eat something" feeling, a really big drink of Water often solves it.

I think the head hunger really does persist for many of us, but the true appetite that went with it is gone so it really is easier to resist. Nowadays, I get regular, physical hunger, my body works like it SHOULD. I get hungry, I eat till I'm not hungry. Sometimes, like everyone else out there, I eat when I'm not hungry, and I eat things that arent absolutely healthy. But that never hurt anyone in moderate quantity.

Obesity is a complex disease and the band is merely an aid in the battle. Eating solid Proteins and NOT drinking with eating keeps the pouch full and produces a feeling of being full that some of us never ever felt. Dealing with the emotional aspect of obesity is not healed with the band so you have to consciously question yourself before eating, "Am I hungry or simply feeding a habit?"

Josh, for me on a scale to 1 to 10, I would say preband my appetite for unhealthy foods was a 10. My usual meals consisted of deep fried meat, a Pasta, some bread, and to top it off something chocolate. Post band my appetite for unhealthy foods is probably a 1 (sometimes going all the way up to 4 since I am a woman and during my time of the month I get hormonal cravings) mostly though I am just at a 1. When you get the band you perspective on food changes. You are constantly thinking, "will this go down, did I get enough protien, have I had any fruits or veggies." I feel as though I have control over myself more now than I did before, but like I said in my previous post I am constantly battling my head hunger. It did take a while to get into my thick skull that I can't tolerate certain things anymore, like pizza. Do I still try to eat pizza, Yes. I love pizza, now if I crave it I take one bite chew it very well and then I am satisfied. Before the band, I might be satisfied with 3-4 pieces. Keep in mind though, if you go thru the normal preop part of the lapband procedures you will have to visit a physcologist and a dietician. This will help you suceed even if it does feel like a pain in the butt. Keep in mind to that once you have healed, after surgery but before your first fill, your hunger will most likely return to normal. You may even gain weight. Don't get discouraged it is a process that we all go thru and once you get to the right fill level you will see a difference.

Josh, for me the band reprogrammed my brain to look at large quantities of food as a source of pain and discomfort rather than pleasure. I enjoy the smell of food but can be satisfied with small portions because after that, the pain kicks in. I went out to dinner this evening to a rib place. First, I ordered just the appetizer basket instead of a full meal. It came with three ribs and fries. My husband ordered onion petals. I ate 3 or 4 onion petals, one fry, two small nibbles of bread and butter, and 1/2 of one rib. I knew if I ate more it would hurt and I would probably have to run to the bathroom and puke. After a few episodes of that, I have no desire to overeat. You just don't feel like stuffing your face when your stomach is approaching nausea.

By the way, this isn't my normal diet. I usually eat oatmeal for Breakfast, Soup or yogurt for lunch, and something like a lean cuisine meal for dinner. I just want to stress that the usual opportunities for overeating, like eating out, are squelched by the band. You still have to make the right choices and eat healthy food on your own, without help from the band. In fact you have to be even more of a healthy eater than a nonbanded person, for the simple reason that you can't hope to get in the nutrients you need AND the junk food when you are banded.

I can't snack very much either without getting uncomfortable and having to stop. It's more a matter of aversion therapy than feeling full and satisfied. On the other hand, the positive reinforcement you get from weighing yourself, looking in the mirror, and watching your clothes grow too large is a strong incentive to keep going, especially when you know the band will catch you if you fall too hard.

I have only had the band for 2 months and I am not very restricted yet and I am hungry. I feel the same as I did while dieting in the past, except I feel tons of pressure to lose since I did something SO drastic. I am looking forward to getting more restriction and feeling full.

I also took Meridia, it worked for me. I dropped 30lbs with it and it really did curve my appitite(more than the band, so far), but as soon as I stopped taking it I gained it all back and more.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

The band does work to control you appetite once you are at proper restriction. It can take a few fills to get there. The thing about it is that this is a permanent tool. Unlike other aides, this one stays with you and you are really in control.

You have heard this from people in this thread at varying stages. Some new and others that have had the band for years. We all have different experiences but most will tell you that a week or two after surgery you don't feel like eating because of swelling. You lose weight. The swelling goes down and you get hungry (they don't fill you until about 6 weeks post op). You may return to being able to eat as you did before surgery, although it is not advised, and you may gain some weight back. When you get your first fill or even your second you may still not feel much restriction, but you will get to the proper fill level and your hunger subsides. You begin losing weight and it is steady.

I would never want to go back to before I was banded now. I love my little band and all that it does to control my eating!

God Bless!