Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Lapband Control Appetite?

Its also SO motivating to finally see results for your efforts for the first time in your life.

Why was I successful in becoming a regular long distance runner? Because I SAW the effect it had on my body. And the same with healthy eating. I am motivated to eat well becuase I have now SEEN the effect it has on my body. I have FELT it too now.

Before, I could start another diet, lose 5kg and my motivation would wane. I didnt feel different, I didnt look different, what was the freaking point? My post op weight loss took me well past that point and really had me excited about what I could achieve.

Hi, I am new to the forum, but have been seriously considering Lapband op to gain an edge in my battle against obesity.

I am a 400 lb. male (6-0 tall), age 30, and have a ravenous appetite. I am able to control it with moderate success using Rx anorectic drug Meridia (15mg ED). Unlike other appetite suppressants, Meridia is literally free of side effects for me.

With that in mind, I would like to know from other forum members who've had the Lap Band op and to see how it controlled their appetite from a mental point of view.

I strongly believe most obese humans have a marked level of hyperactivity with the neuropeptides that control hunger. I do fear that if my appetite was not controlled as a result of the surgery, I could possibly over eat and endure serious complications.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone!

Hi Atlanta:

Sorry to rain on the lapband parade, but I am going to be honest with you. Hunger IS an issue for me. My daytime hunger has not yet been helped by the band. Granted, I am only 2 months out, and have only had two fills with minor restriction, but am not at that sweet spot everyone talks about. So I still have a way to go-another month? another 2 months?? who knows.?? But for the last two months, I have been !!!!HUNGRY!!!! all day.:lol:

I am ok for about two hours after I wake up-I drink a mug of tea, read the paper, get ready for work etc. But unlike many people who aren't hungry the morning, my stomach likes to have Breakfast. I have always been a breakfast eater, so I start the day with a meal.

I am completely satisfied after eating whatever it is I eat. But it doesn't last. It is not a craving for sweets or junk food. It is NOT head hunger. I just NEED TO EAT SOMETHING! I have tried Protein supplements as Snacks, and although they dull the hunger a tad, I can't seem to get by for more than two to three hours without eating something.

My day goes like that til dinner. After dinner-chicken, veggies, salad, I am fine. A last, the hunger is gone. I make it through the evening without any problem. No desire for sweets. No urge for Snacks. No more hunger til the next morning.

So, what I am trying to say is that, if hunger is an issue for you, for the first few months after band placement, hunger may continue to be an issue. I did not realize that when I chose to get banded. In fact, I chose the band specifically so I could stop being hungry. In the past, I was able to control my hunger while dieting with phentermine, but I have developed hypertension, and those drugs are contraindicated.

Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't choose the band. But don't think that hunger is going to become a non-issue. And if your weight is driven by hunger (like mine is), be prepared to face the hunger demon for a while longer. Definitely discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

From this forum, I have been told that this is the period of time called bander's hell, and for me, it sure as hell has been!:thumbup: You are trying to keep the volume of food down to a small amount so you don't stretch out your pouch, but you are not restricted yet, and so you are still hungry.

I am still hopeful that with a few more fills, the food I eat will hold me for 4-5 hours. But for now, Arrrrrgh!

On a lighter note-the joke in my family was that I was always trying to loose weight, and my husband always wanted to gain weight.(He is an alien who eats one meal a day, and never gets hungry) One day, I told him that in order to gain weight, all he had to do was eat whenever I was hungry.:biggrin:

Best of luck!

kefirchick

Yes, it has controlled my appetite, but not like you might think. More through behavior modification. Put a mouse in a maze and send him towards food. As he gets to the food he gets a shock. Sure, he wants the food but after a pretty short time he realizes that the food is accompanied by a pretty nasty surprise, and he weighs his options and decides the food isn't worth the shock. That's how the lap band works. Even when my eyes get the best of me and I am really dying for something....I may go and have it, and the glamour usually wears thin after the first two bites...either it really wasn't as good as I thought, or I am just not getting the satsifaction from it. Most of my satisfaction was GOBBLING my food I think. It was the act of cramming it in my face. You absolutely can NOT do that anymore. For me this is a blessing.

Good question.

No, it didn't for me. I remember days and weeks of crying and going to bed at like 4-6pm...in the day because of being lethargic...hungry but couldn't eat.

Of course, at the same time I was battling my addiction to food. The band helped me overcome that addiction.

Without the addiction, I wouldn't have been overweight.

I'm 7 months out and while I was hungry for the first few months after surgery, I am not so much anymore...That said, I still want to eat crap as much as I did. But, now I am unable to eat as much garbage as I was...I would literally, 7 months ago, be starving an hour and a half after eating 3 bowls of Cereal in the morning. Now I have ONE packet of oatmeal and am good until lunch. BUT...that desire to eat during the morning...especially while feeding my kids snack, is overwhelming. But that is habit, not hunger.

For the first three months, before my insurance allowed me to have a fill, I struggled. But, I was so dedicated and wanted to lose asap...I didn't allow a single piece of mindless food past my lips...If I was hungry (which I was sometimes since I had no fill), I drank TONS of unsweetened Iced Tea and just dealt with it. NO Snacks...and the weight literally flew off of my body. I was able to deal with it though because I knew that when I got a fill, I wouldn't feel hungry anymore and I knew I could stay focused for three months... While not at optimal restriction after the first fill, things were infinitely better and the weight continues to drop really rapidly.

Good luck...I think that folks that are so addicted to food (my husband is as well...banded in April at 393...down 85lbs) truly benefit from some behavioral counseling as well...To be honest, I think I could as well and I am not as wrapped in food as dh was/is...That addiction is hard to go away.

Best of luck to you!

Rain

I was banded on 10/18/07, four months. During that time I have lost 35 lbs, but most of it was during the liquid pre and post op stage. I have lost very little after "regular" eating began. I have the biggest trouble with "head" hunger. But I also never feel full....it is either stuck and about the vomit or nothing. I am not as hungry on an hour by hour basis as before, but when I do get hungry I have trouble becoming satisfied. Any ideas? (I've had 1 fill on Jan 2 and lost 6 of the 35 lbs since then.)

I must admit that preband, I could eat an entire large pizza. It is shameful the amount of food I could cram down my throat. Since the band, I have eaten drastically less than before. I do get hungry, but not like before. Much of my hunger is head hunger, and real hunger doesnt even bother me. A lot of the time my tummy grumbles and I still do not "feel" hungry. It is hard to explain, but when i suffer from head hunger, it is best for me to delay it, have something like a Protein Shake or a bar, or drink something. It WILL pass, but it is a daily struggle.

I'm not really sure that Head Hunger will ever go away. Now real Physical Hunger I cannot say I've had once since the Band because:

When you get the Band, your life really does revolve all around you and you are constantly reviewing your daily intake: did I get enough Protein, did I get enough Water, did I take my Vitamins and Calcium, when can I drink again, how can I fit in veggies or fruit? I am literally drinking all day long now, especially water, since I developed gout a few weeks ago.

I will tell you this: I am FREE of the times when the only thing I thought about all the time was what could I have that was "nice" to eat, i.e. Hostess cupcakes every night, Cadbury's chocolate, etc. and it is SO WONDERFUL to be free from that wretched desperation!!

I love my Band and thank God for it every day!! :wink_smile:

Hi Josh! Welcome to the boards. In my opinion, the band works better for those that seriously overeat at mealtime, as opposed to those that "nibble" all day long. Overeating (that "Thanksgiving and I'm stuffed" feeling) for me now means just an extra bite or two in addition to the approx. 1 cup of food that I can consume during a meal. When we are out at dinner, I might have a bite or two of dessert, but then I am stuffed beyond belief. I still want and crave foods I love (head hunger), but I no longer find myself OBSESSING about those foods like I use to. Perhaps you are right regarding hyperactive neuropeptides. I know that my food obsessions went away when I was on Phen/Fen years ago, and I felt normal regarding food for the first time in my life. At proper restriction I feel that way again now. I have speculated for some time that the band pressing on the vagus nerve has something to do with it, because when I was unfilled the obsessions came flooding back almost immediately. Sounds like you are taking the time to research the band thoroughly. Best wishes to you.