Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Obsession

Hello All-

I have read many messages here, but never posted. My PCP has given me a referral and I have my first appointment with my surgeon (Dr T at BWH in Boston) on2/27/08. I cannot wait, but am terrified of not getting insurance approval. I have Harvard Pilgrim HMO - the plan and my employer allow for bariatric surgery and do not appear terribly strict on the requirements, but becuase I want this so badly, I am sure that something will prevent me from getting approval.

I have been thinking about this surgery for more than 5 years. A girlfriend went to Mexico to have it done then and watching her lose weight effortlessly made me soooo jealous. However, I also watched her gain weight back becuase she did not get fills or follow any program or get any real support. I learned from her that the only way to do this is to do it all the way and follow whatever they tell me to do. Another friend had it done at the same hospital with insurance coverage 2 years ago and looks great. Finally, my father was banded in January and for a man who could never lose weight- he has lost 26 pounds.

I feel like I will be the most educated patient - I read everything there is to read, have watched the surgery on the web and have discussed this with my therapist. Honestly, I do not know what I will do if I am turned down. I can't even think about it - the idea of starting ANOTHER diet makes my stomach hurt and my head ache. I cannot walk into another Weightt Watchers Week one meeting - or eat any more cabbage Soup or try any more pills - I have even bought ones not approved by the FDA from Hong Kong - how crazy is that???!! Diets have been nothing but bad for me- I lose 20 pounds only to gain back 25. Aurgh!!!!

I guess I am writing to see if anyone else went through this or is going through this same thing now. I feel a little obsessive and do not like that - I wish I could stop thinking about it, but I feel like the next stage of my life is on hold until I get the thumbs up and have a surgery date.

Anyone else ever feel like this??

oh yeah all the time. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. I realized I had to have the surgery to do something drastic to keep me from yo- yo dieting. I would lose, then gain, then lose. Keep in mind you have to exericise as well. That is a huge key to your success, but it can be done! Good luck and your are not alone. Get the surgery- even if it means you have to pay for it yourself. Take out a loan, it will be the best investment ever and you will be so much happier...

My obsessive side came out more after the band. I didn't go nuts about prepping for surgery, although as my daughter was banded a year before me, I researched it and followed the online forums.

I am pretty obsessive now. The band is a big part of my life--maybe taking the place of food??? I count calories and review them in my head several times a day, plan meals hours ahead of time, talk about the band a lot with my husband.

We had surgery in Mexico and were reimbursed by our insurance, BCBS federal employees'. We had no difficulty whatsoever and had the check in our hands about 6 weeks after we sent in the paperwork. If your insurance covers the surgery and your BMI is over 40 I would doubt you will have trouble getting approved. If you are turned down, Mexico is a viable option for self-payers.

This is a major change in your life, so it isn't strange to become pre-occupied with the procedure. Much better that you are well-educated than totally oblivious, as some people seem to be about what they are about to do or even have already done to themselves. Best wishes for a successful outcome of your search for a healthier life.

Yes! Even though I knew my insurance approved this surgery and that my employer supported it 100%, and my friends would say "oh, you'll get approved" I always stayed pessimistic.. and oddly, staying that way is what got me through it.. I just kept telling myself "never count your chickens till they hatch"... I wouldn't allow myself to believe I would get approved until the day I heard "you're approved" and even now.. 10 days away from surgery, I still think "I could get fired" or "insurance might change their mind".. and when I'm about to have surgery on the gurney, I'll probalby say "well, the doctor will go in and my liver won't be good enough and he'll shut me up and cancel the surgery"... Sometimes my negative attitude helps me to not get my hopes up..... I'm a paranoid creature... I can't help it. LOL. I never expect anything until it happens...

But, one thing that got me through it was the fact that I did meet all the requirements.. and then some.. so I kept saying, "well, if I'm not approved, I'll just fight it". Good luck!! And remember, don't worry about things you can't change.

Oh yes I am very obessed with getting the lap band. I tend to be a bit pessimistic, but I feel it keep me in check. I know I can have the surgery through insurance, I just may have to travel a lot further than I expected. I am praying with my paperwork being resubmitted to insurance that it lands in better hands this time.

Good luck to you!!!

I am also a Mass resident with Harvard Pilgrim. I had my initial meeting in December. I am now being monitored monthly to see when they feel that insurance will absolutely not reject my claim. I am obsessed with the forum and come to it several times daily, especially when hungry. Good luck with the venture

Hi there.

I'm currently doing the exact same thing as you. Researching, worrying, obessing, etc.

MY BMI is lower than the required 40 for the states and my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery so I decided, enough was enough and that I wasn't going to let money stop me from my ultimate goals, so decided to pay out of pocket and go to Mexico. I obessed about whether my loans would go through, then when they did, if the money would get there in time and still feel like something is going to go wrong and I won't be able to get my surgery. I guess that comes from a life-time of dissapointments when it comes to weight loss. If your insurance doesn't go through (which I'm sure it will) consider your options, such as Mexico. I know it sounds crazy to go to another country for surgery, but Dr. Ortiz is actually one of the leading Lapband surgeons around.

I'm scheduled for surgery w/ Dr. Ortiz on Feb.29 and am excited and scared at the same time.

I worry about if I'm going to feel like I'm suffercating due to the band because I'm closterphobic and even worry about whether or not the band will actually work for me. On top of that, after reading a lot of the threads and hearing people say that they can only get down a few sips of this or a couple licks of that, I worry about the hunger I'll feel and if I'll be able to control it/ how strong the need to eat will be.

I think its in our nature to worry and therefore am so grateful for this site and all the feedback on it.

Yes. It does get to that point. When we make up our mind it becomes consuming. I try not to let it be but it is. Daily I try to remind myself not to bug others and let them have time to do their job but it is hard. I want them to hurry with the reports, hurry to process everything, hurry to get it to the insurance and hurry to approve it so I can hurry up and have surgery!! I wanted it yesterday so you are not alone. I to feel like I am well read, well studied. I have friends and family who have had band and bypass. I have seen the good and the bad. I have already attended the seminar, met with the surgeon and done my pre reqs. Waiting for all the reports to get back to the surgeon so he can get the report to the insurance to see if they will say yes. Good luck in your journey.

Two days after I went to the seminar, I dreamt about lapband surgery over and over! In one dream things went wrong, in another things went great...I think it's our minds trying to get used to all the changes we know we will be making.

I had Harvard Pilgrim in 07 and they approved the same day my surgeon's office submitted it! They (surgeon's office) said that HPHC was one of the best insurances to deal with...in fact my employer was changing plans for 08 and I tried very hard to loose the requisite amount of weight to get a surgery date before the end of the year...and did...had my surgery 12/26 in Concord, MA and had no troubles with the insurance.

One thing you do have to check though is to make sure that your particular plan doesn't contain and exclusion for bariatric surgery. Just call member benefits and they'll be able to put your mind at ease.

Good luck to you...and you're right, you've got to stick with the program to have success with the band!

Two days after I went to the seminar, I dreamt about lapband surgery over and over! In one dream things went wrong, in another things went great...I think it's our minds trying to get used to all the changes we know we will be making.

It's VERY normal to go through a range of emotions when you're considering a surgical intervention to combat obesity. It's definitely NOT a quick fix and it requires life changes to be successful. Getting all the information you can, asking questions, and talking to those who have been there will arm you with what you need to make a very personal decision.

I never stop thinking about what might be and the clothes I might wear, but i only think might at this stage because like the rest of you Im still worried that for some insane reason it wont happen and I will be destined to a life of fat forever.

Insurance in Australia seems way easier than America, you join a company of your choice and after a year you go ahead and get the surgery no questions asked. It does cost to have high enough coverage to be fully covered.

I am due to be banded on the 19th March and I am counting the hours already. I am so glad I have this forum or I would drive everybody nuts talking about it all the time

A lot of us are in the same boat, Aqua....waiting for that insurance approval. Hang in there. Stay positive. Appeal if you have to. I am doing the six month BCBS pre-op requirement. It's really not that difficult. I keep focused on the positive way in which the lap band will eventually change things for me. 95% of my friend do not understand that if I can lose 36lbs b/4 having surgery...then why do I need the band if I can lose weight. Dah! If I didn't have this lap band in my future, I know I would get discouraged and just gain it all back. When you want something so badly, it's worth working towards that goal. Be patient. Rely on this forum when you are feeling anxious. It's gotten me through a couple of "bummer" days. There's always someone at the stage you are at, or someone who has more experience to bring you around to positive thinking. Hang in there and shoot for what you believe in. I wish you luck.