Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm officially in bandster hell. Help!

I am trying to follow the diet plan, measuring most of the time, but I am starving. I can't fall asleep and usually end up getting up and having a snack. They are usually not the best choices either. I have had 1 fill but don't feel any restrictions...........the only thing good right now is my glucose readings. I am very thankful about that.:biggrin:

I have been writing down what I eat and do feel restriction. I am happy about that, but on my home scale no additional weight loss, and I use the doctors scale as the official weight loss and don't go back until March 20.

I had my first PB last night when eating half of a toasted bagel. It hurt to cough it up, but didn't have the nasty acid taste of when you throw up. I will be sure not to do that again. It came on quick, never had the saiety feeling I have been getting, and didn't get the full feeling either. I think I bit into to it too fast and didn't chew enough.

I am trying to follow the diet plan, measuring most of the time, but I am starving. I can't fall asleep and usually end up getting up and having a snack. They are usually not the best choices either. I have had 1 fill but don't feel any restrictions...........the only thing good right now is my glucose readings. I am very thankful about that.:blushing:

Why not fill your house with healthy Snacks that you can just grab when you feel hungry. You can eat many many times a day as long as you are eating healthy low calorie foods. I always have low fat yogurt, fruit, sugar free Desserts, pretzels, Soups, etc for emergencies, lol.

I was banded a few days after you.

My doctor's diet calls for no breads, Pasta, potato, rice, etc. for 6 months post op. The dietician in the office says breads may always be difficult.

What kind of diet do you follow now?

Good Luck

Congrats on sticking to the diet rules even though you are hungry. I had my surgery 12/26 and had my first fill a week ago...I was starving prior to the fill but just like you stuck to it and was watching the clock until it was time for the next "meal." The fill helped a little, but I'm still hungry...I go for my 2nd fill next Fri and I suspect it will get better little by little. In the mean time I don't want to sabotage myself by allowing myself to eat so I'm staying strong! I truly feel that I haven't lost any weight because of the band...I've lost weight because I'm dieting and have had excellent willpower...I'll be grateful the band is there if I should ever waver or faulter...but I feel that so far it's been all me (and that's kind of empowering!). Keep up the willpower and try to use distraction, fluids, or an extra Protein snack if you really have to, but don't turn to foods not on your diet...it's not worth it!

Hi

Just reading through the monthly forums. I was banded in nov 07 and had my third fill on 23rd Feb. like you i have found it very hard i have been able to eat normal foods and never had to stick to liquids or mushies right from day two after op which worried me. My weight loss has been down to not giving in to the crap and cravings especially after paying out all that money. Though i must say after my last fill i can say at last i can only eat small portions and finally not fighting the hunger all day and especially the evenings. So hang in there it will get better.

Best wishes

Lisa (UK)

I know that every doctor is different. My doctor want me to eat every two hours, but high Protein low calories. I do this by eating Protein Bars from the South Beach diet, and Revival soy. I try to buy the ones highest in Protein, 15g-19g. I also drink soy shakes from revival soy 20g for serving-280 calories. I've lost approx. 18 pounds since my banding 1/15/08.

My doctor said that my site was still swollen and I can have my first fill for another 8 weeks. If I didn't eat every two hours I would fall over.:drool:

I am nearly 5 mos post op. Doctor must have "over filled" last month because I feel like a bulimic. For example, tonight I had some broiled salmon and veggies. The salmon was nice and moist but I threw it all up shortly after eating. This has happened with pot roast, rice, pork and other things. Just never know when it will happen and I pray it never happens in public. My next fill is at the end of this month. I'm afraid to tell the doctor because he might not fill enough.......Anyone else having this problem?

I'm scheduled for my second fill on the 14th. I have managed to lose since my first fill, but mostly through willpower and exercise. I'm still really hungry between meals. My doc says no Snacks, so most of the time I try to drown my growling with liquids. Sometimes, I cave in and have a snack.

One thing I know I'm doing wrong is eating more than 4 oz. I probably never eat more than 8oz in a meal, but I'm worried why I can eat more than 4 so easily. I hope I haven't stretched my pouch. My first fill was done with fluro and they didn't say anything, so I guess it was OK then. I requested fluro for my second fill also because I work 3 hours from the doctor's office and am afraid of overfill.

I sure hope it gives me more restriction. This part is tough, but still so much easier than diet alone!!!!!!!!!

I got my first fill on March 1st. I no longer fret about the scale, i.e. as long as it's not going up. My husband is my progress measuer. He tells me which parts of my body are smaller to him and he is always right. I can eat about 8 oz at a time and I do eat when I'm hungry. Most times it takes just a little mouthful to satisfy me,then I completely forget about food until meal times. Also I notice I'm really restricted in the mornings and as the day goes on I am able to eat more. Yesterday morning I couldn't even eat a whole egg in the morning! Normally I would be famished when I wake up. That really amazed my husband. I am very satisfied with my fill. I have 4.5cc in an 11cc band.

Suzanne,

When I went in for my first fill they told me I should feel some restriction but I felt none and when I went in for my second fill the nurse told me things should be better since she noticed that the doc had noted that after my first fill I was still wide open. I think they just don't want to tell you that you have no restriction so you will think you have more restriction than you do and try to eat less. Of course you should still try to do what you can to eat less but you shouldn't be starving either.

Good luck and hang in there. I go for my 3rd fill in 1.5 weeks and I hope to get restriction then:)

Got the band in Oct and have an appointment for my third (or 4th?) fill end of this month. Weight loss going well, nearly 50 pounds, but I'm concerned that there are things I just cannot eat which I LOVE, i.e. Salmon, pot roast, pork. I did not only "slime" when I tried to eat them, I actually just threw it ALL up (sorry.) I felt like a bulimic. I had to give or throw away all that I made. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and/or is this forever? I don't have problems with most other foods.

I haven't been able to get my first fill yet, however, since the surgery I can't eat any type of beef products, even ground beef gets stuck. I have been able to eat pork but only the lean cuts. I have tried smoked salmon and it was hard to swallow. Maybe its the fat content of the meats.< /p>

I am able to eat steak if I slice it really thin and chew it. It has to be on the rare side. I have had no problem with salmon, scallops etc. What I did have problems with was the turkey breast, it was ok for everyone else, but on the dry side for me, so I used alot of gravy to moisten it.

I haven't tried pork, or lobster yet.

Well, I got the "I am stuck at the office Bandster Hell." I have no Protein things at my desk because I am just back from vacation. Trying to catch up tonite, and its now 9:20pm.

So, because I was hungry, I found Girl Scout Cookies and chocolate in the office kitchen. I passed up the chocolate but ate 4 Thin Mints, 160 calories, 7g fat, 2g Protein and 1 Samoa, or Caramel Delites (I think that is what they are called now) 70 calories, 4g fat, 1/2p. :wink:

Good thing is that it made me full, so I am not feeling hungry now. But I ate them slow and they tasted good.:smile: