Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days post-op Need help.

Hello,

Banded on 1-29, Still feeling very sore. I have been on clear liquides since. I dont think i am getting enough Protein or in fact any. Could this be the reason i feel hungry? I am getting lots of liquides but just have that feeling ......like there is something missing. Dose that make any sence.

When do i get to take a shower !!! ;)

I had surgery 1-30 and know what you're thinking. I shifted to apple juice today from crystal light and popsicles. Felt like I was living on Splenda.

I sip 1 ounce of clear liquid every 15 minutes. If I get behind schedule, I can definitely tell. My stomach growls or cramps. This morning I awoke nauseous ....from hunger. As soon as I drank Water, I was fine.

We can survive for much longer than we think without food actually. We REQUIRE Water. You're on the cusp of getting your Protein. ;) I'm right behind you. I even saw some tempting Soup recipes in here for the full liquid stage.:eek:~

Hang in there!

Hi I was banded the same day you were! Are you still having much pain? It is amazing how loud my stomach growls when it is hungry!

Good Luck!

Hi Pipa, My doc said I could take a shower the day after surgery

I was banded on the same day. I have been feeling really lathargic. I started on my protien suppliments today and that really helped with the hunger and feeling better.

I was able to shower the next day.

I was told I could take a shower the second day and it felt great! Let the warm Water run over your incisions. Your doctor should have given you post-op diet instructions which you should be following. I was on soft Proteins starting on day four (day of surgery is day one) Soft proteins=eggs,refried Beans, chicken and turkey,cottage cheese, low sugar/lowfat yogurt,lowfat cheese. Call your doctor and ask what you should be eating. Every doctor is different but I don't think you need to be on Clear Liquids too long.

Hello,

Banded on 1-29, Still feeling very sore. I have been on clear liquides since. I dont think i am getting enough Protein or in fact any. Could this be the reason i feel hungry? I am getting lots of liquides but just have that feeling ......like there is something missing. Dose that make any sence.

When do i get to take a shower !!! :rolleyes:

You should be fine to take a shower - just remember to gently pat dry around your incisions.

Depending on what diet instructions your Dr has given you, you should be having at least one Protein Drink each day, Sustagen etc. This will help to curb your hunger. If you are only on clear fluids, broth based on chicken or beef stock will help to up your Protein level.

Now go have that shower before your friends and family start to complain :biggrin:

Danna

I was banded 1/30/08, and moved to full liquids on 2/1. I am not hungry, but just need to make sure I am getting enough. I am at about 490 calories today, for the day. I was able to shower 48 hrs after the surgery. It is crazy the different views all of the doctors have with their instructions.

I had my surgery on 1/29 and I am still sore but not as bad. get up walking to get things moving around. I had troubles burping but now as long as I am moving I am doing good. If you are feeling hunrgy it means you don't have enough Protein. I have been mixing whey Protein with Carnation Breakfast shakes and its like a choc vanilla shake and they are really good.

I was banded on 1/30 as well ... I'm sooo hungry!!! I'm eating crystal light and Jello ... just had some skim milk.... i guess I'm lost on how liquids is suppose to make me full ?

Protein shakes help you feel full? I need to get some ...

I can't believe how hungry I am ......

My post op Diet for first 2 weeks was liquids .... I'd definately check with your Dr to ask him what his recommendations are - they should have provided that to you. Have at least 1 HIGH Protein shake a day was recommended. If you can do some liquid Vitamins, take them.

I also had Soups ... Tomato, Cambells Golden Squash, even brocolli cheese Soup - that I ran thru the blender! You can try a little yogurt, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese ... Try to have your meal/snacks .. but if you're eating the soft foods, try not to drink at the same time.

Just keep it soft. :) The idea during the first 6 weeks is not to lose weight - it's to adjust your body to the band. Drink/eat until you are just full.

Thanks everyone !

I am going to take a shower today! I think my husband will be happy not to wash my hair anymore. :)

Hi, I was banded on 12/26. I wasn't really hungry until about 1 week post surgery. What really helped me was the Protein Drinks. I would either have a slimfast or carnation instant breakfast. I discovered that alot of my hunger was in my head. It's really hard to go from overeating to eating very little. I was able to progress to soft foods 2 weeks after surgery and that was great. Hang in there, it does get better.

Jenn

Clear Liquids for 3 or 4 days after surgery is important for HEALING. The standard post-op diet is explicit that full liquids are NOT allowed immediately after surgery.

We can quell hunger pains with liquids. If we still feel pain, it is probably that ol' culprit gas, which I've read will pass within a couple days to a couple of weeks. There is a good discussion about the quite odd aches and pains related to CO2 used in the surgery in the thread "I think I finally figured it out."