Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of restriction and pain, still hunger...

I am 2 months from surgery and have only lost maybe 10 pounds since surgery. Probably not even that much. I've had 3 fills (3 weeks in a row) because I never felt anything and was always hungry. With the last fill, there is what I assume is restriction...and lots of it....sometimes I am not even sure Water will go down and it is painful. I chew everything to smitherines and it hurts but it goes down, usually. But, I never, NEVER get full. I get bored....because it takes SOOOO LOOOOONG to eat that silly bit of food but I am never full.

Confession....I haven't always given up drinking during eating but I don't drink much. Just tiny sips because it killllllllls me not to drink. I used to drink a tank of liquid with each meal and this is the hardest part.

It is always cold water....is that making it worse??

So, is my cup of Water defeating me that much??? (ready for a lecture...) Is it causing me more pain? Is it the reason I don't get full or stay full?

Also...should EVERY bite be so difficult???

I haven't yet figured out what a PB is because the only time this has happened to me it was a 20 minute session leaning over the toilet in agonizing pain that resulted in a complete vomit. Boy, did I ever learn to take smaller bites and chew chew chew!!!!

Thanks for any information!!

Oh Nicey, first off, I'm also new at this and I havent needed a fill.

But let me tell you, no one should have to suffer sliming or pb or being over the toilet. I see it so much on this forum like its a given. please think about having an unfill, maybe your body is in starvation mode and that could be the reason of slow weight loss. I myself snack throughout the day and my Dr. recommends it to prevent this promblems

just my opinion

I had my surgery Dec. 21st, 2007, I saw my surgeon post op on Jan. 17th and he explained when I had my surgery they filled my band then removed all but 2cc's, and I explained how I felt I was eating too much, so he gave me a 1cc fill. I have a 10cc band as well. He said if I felt nauseated or ill of any nature to come back and he would remove it. I felt fine except I still seem to eat more than I believe I should, but will be going back to see him Feb. 14th. All of us react different because our bodies and metabolism and emotional levels are all different. I had lost 22 lbs total at that checkup and felt great. Now the scales don't seem to be moving, but I have a cheap set of scales and they were 5 lbs heavier than the Dr.'s office scales, which pleased me. When I go back and if I have lost more and my scales are still off I will invest in a scale which is more accurate. (I will ask for advice and check online for consumer reports) Anyway, depression can keep weight on, so you may want to discuss this with your surgeon as well as have some filled removed as the last writer indicated. Sip LOTS of Water to help so your not as hungry and you have your mouth and hands busy. Keep your mind busy by doing things you enjoy and keep yourself busy when commercials come on tv. Sometimes it helps to go back to liquids and baby food for a period of time. Are you still drinking your Protein Drinks? One first thing when I wake up keeps me full for 3-4 hours. Keep good communication with your surgeon or whoever is doing your fills and most important, be patient. You could be losing inches without the scales moving if you are walking and doing any exercises as they recommend. Good-Luck and hang in there, it will get easier!

When you are restricted, it does kind of hurt at first when you eat. I have a difficult time with my food for about 2 weeks... so I think you are restricted. BUT, I totally think that that cup of Water is keeping you from feeling full... it's washing everything down. You said you have to chew, chew, chew your food (which is good)... but, you will never feel full if you drink with it, even if it's little sips. Try cutting it out once, and see what happens.

I had my surgery Dec. 21st, 2007, I saw my surgeon post op on Jan. 17th and he explained when I had my surgery they filled my band then removed all but 2cc's, and I explained how I felt I was eating too much, so he gave me a 1cc fill. I have a 10cc band as well. He said if I felt nauseated or ill of any nature to come back and he would remove it. I felt fine except I still seem to eat more than I believe I should, but will be going back to see him Feb. 14th. All of us react different because our bodies and metabolism and emotional levels are all different. I had lost 22 lbs total at that checkup and felt great. Now the scales don't seem to be moving, but I have a cheap set of scales and they were 5 lbs heavier than the Dr.'s office scales, which pleased me. When I go back and if I have lost more and my scales are still off I will invest in a scale which is more accurate. (I will ask for advice and check online for consumer reports) Anyway, depression can keep weight on, so you may want to discuss this with your surgeon as well as have some filled removed as the last writer indicated. Sip LOTS of Water to help so your not as hungry and you have your mouth and hands busy. Keep your mind busy by doing things you enjoy and keep yourself busy when commercials come on tv. Sometimes it helps to go back to liquids and baby food for a period of time. Are you still drinking your Protein drinks? One first thing when I wake up keeps me full for 3-4 hours. Keep good communication with your surgeon or whoever is doing your fills and most important, be patient. You could be losing inches without the scales moving if you are walking and doing any exercises as they recommend. Good-Luck and hang in there, it will get easier!

Okay, I have been reading what you are all saying.... and here are a few important things. I weight myself everyday..... some people say that is wrong, I do it because, well that is what I like to do. So, here is what I have discovered by doing that.

1. If you have a Protein shake in the morning, it is easily absorbed calories, and unnecessary for your nutrition. The bottom line is, if I have a Protein Shake instead of food, I will not loose tomorrow. So, try eating real food, it can be mushy if you are tight in the morning, like and egg, etc.

2. Do you exercise? This surgery is meant obviously to keep you from eating so much, but your body starts to think you are starving, if you do not exercise, your matabolism will shut down, you should not have to snack to solve this problem.

3. Because you are hurting are you eating mush and things that are high in fat and calorie content, and they slide down easily? This could be the reason you are never full!

4. Do not drink while eating. Especially before and after. There are times I take sips while eating for whatever reason. But I limit it to one or two sips if I feel I have to have it. But try not to drink before or after (30 minutes both ways) and this should really help you.

The bottom line is, if you cannot eat without experiencing discomfort, you should go get an unfill. Where you are right now is very dangerous for you and the band.

Be healthy! Good Luck!

first stop drinking with your meals..and see how much that helps.

from experience it helps a lot.

i am a person who after my fills pb's on liquids ...a lot. whatever you do make sure you keep drinking, but if you are really irritated you may want to hold off on any food for about 8 hours and then resume eating. this helped me a lot..with the pain and everything.

i do not think the issue right now is so much that you are not losing, but the fact that you are hurting when you eat. focus on getting that under control..AND ABSOLUTELY NO SIPS WITH YOUR MEALS. ..if i do..i get hungry..if i drink too soon after my meal..i get hungry..

most importantly if i do sip with my meal..it causes me a GREAT GREAT GREAT deal of pain and makes the whole process more difficult. believe me..the other day..i ate 2 Cookies (hey that's huge for me..and way better than 30..well.. i thought..i only at two Cookies ..i can have a sip of milk...WRONG..not to mention that cookies and milk are bad..but i was allowing myself to do bad that one time. needless to say..all the sip of milk took about 5 minutes coming back up..but the cookies stayed..and everything hurt afterward.

I too have pain when I eat. It's been a month since my last fill and I think I am tighter now than I was 2 weeks ago. I try to eat very slow and chew well, but the pain will start and then I run for the bathroom, up it comes. I don't usually have a problem in the morning getting my coffee down, but certainly no food. Not until almost lunch time. Then I'm tight again and can't eat dinner. I called my doc this morning and they suggested I wait till monday and call back if this does not improve. The tightness in the am and pm is very normal. But I shouldn't have pain and pb all the time. So I was instructed to keep chewing very well and see if there is an improvement. But if it gets worse, then I have to call right away.

I feel your pain. :biggrin: If your band is very tight (mine is) you literally feel the food squeezing through the band opening and it can be QUITE painful. I've done the same thing with the drinking, I'll have a few small sips of Water to help "ease" it through. Don't do that much though as it really sabotages the function of the band. Being too tight can be painful. I'm still battling this issue. If you eat anything at all that is tough, it feels like sandpaper going through and will irritate the hole and can cause swelling & inflammation and making it worse. Then your back on liquids for a few days, slowly easing back into solids, and as soon as you eat a rough food again, the cycle happens again. The key is to either chew everything to absolute mush, or to get the very slight unfill. Right now I'm keeping things very soft, chewing a LOT, and hoping the band will losen as I loose a little more weight. Also, if you are overfilled, people can actually GAIN weight because they are eating real soft, greasy, or liquid foods that go down more easily, but don't remain in the band for a long period of time to create a full feeling. (foods like ice cream, cream of what, shakes, fattening creamy soups)

I really don't know what is going on...but I do know that you should not be drinking with your meals...that is a romper room no no...when you get your fills, do you go on liquids for 24 hours, then soft foods for 24 hours, and then to regular food? ?? I got a fill on Monday, did liquids for 24 hours and then soft foods..this is my fifth fill...and I am very restricted..which I am glad..I am not hungry...I drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast every morning and it does not keep me from losing weight...I also workout everyday...I didn't workout last night, because I have not had enough calories and I didn't want to burn up the few I got...I will try to get more calories today and workout tonight...be sure to get your Protein and liquids down..that is very important...

i feel every bite of food that i take almost, but i am not tight enough..i can still eat a whole white bread sandwich and gulp my liquids.

my dos rule is...cannot gulp your liquids and you absolutely should never be able to eat more than 1/2 sandwich on white untoasted bread.

Thanks everyone for all your wisdom. I have been trying to NOT drink during meals and.....uh.....big duh...it does help!!!! Must be why they tell you not to! :party: I think the band has loosened a bit too because there is less pain all around. I can drink Water better now and a little faster.

Thanks!!! Any bandsters in the Eastside Seattle area?

Last time I wrote on this forum, I wasn't that pleased. Well, I hadn't given my surgery and body enough time for the healing process or my mentality. I am Very Greatfull for having this surgery and the results I have gotten so far. I am 6 month's out and have lost 50 lb's, I am breathing so much better and can walk much further distances without any breathing difficulty, it's amazing. I still need to lose another 40-60 lb's. I exercise more, take less medication, have more energy and move much more and faster than I have in the last 7 or so years! I would recommend this surgery to anyone who has attempted every other option available! Dr. Sundberg in Grinnell is a top notch surgeon, and does my follow up, even though Dr. Kermode (Once again a top notch surgeon) actually performed my surgery.Grinnell, will give you all of the information you need or request so you, your spouse and family can be well informed! If you are stuck in the middle of a loved one who disagrees with this surgery, be sure to have them visit with the surgeon, and go through the class you will have to attend before receiving the surgery and then they should understand fully why you need this and how much it will help you in your relationship, your total family life, and most important regain your self esteem and worth!:wink2:

Glad to hear things are going better, Nicey. I too struggle with no drinking during meals. I am trying to make sure I get plenty of Fluid throughout the day so that I don't feel the thirst with meals. It really does make a huge difference hunger-wise if I have too much fluid near meal time.