Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are YOU Fat?

Oh, come on DeLarla, give those fried pickles a chance! I am descended from generations of northerners who wouldn't know a decent bit of sweet potato pie if it were tossed in their faces, but when I went to Alabama a few years ago and was offered deep fried pickles I fell in love with them. Of course, I was expecting that sour crunch... I suppose your experience was more like asking for Godiva chocolate and getting Ex-Lax.

We thought we were eating rotten zuccini! Still spitting. Zoe, you come to the bash in September and fry us up some pickles and I'll give them one more chance, but I'm not making any promises.

Trish, all I see is your smiling sunshine face. Next time get the license plate number and ol' DeLarla will hunt her down for you. I'm really good at dealing with that kinda person. Some young kids did that to me once, and I chased them down in my car laughing. I told them, "you wouldn't be checking me out if you didn't think I was sexy, huy baby?" The guy that made the fat joke turned beat red while his friends started laughing at him. Soon they were on my side and their friend was the idiot.

You are still fabulous.

oh Trish, Honey! Just remember, you may be fat, but she's stupid. You are changing and loosing weight, but there aint no cure for stupid.

Thanks for the uplift!!! Hey Lisa... Im making you my personal body guard... Thats a big job you know.. I have lots of body to guard. lol

"no cure for stupid".... Thats a good one... Thanks, I needed that smile!!!

Trish - I'm sorry someone was so rude that they couldn't keep their mouth shut! People like that should remember what goes around comes around, and their day is on the way! :D:D:D

I think part (one part of many) of my problem is that unlike many people who always see themselves as fat even if they aren't, I never saw how big I was getting. Even at 300 lbs. I didn't really see it. I remember thinking how nice my cleavage looked...no, it just looked overful cause I was huge but when I would look in the mirror I just sucked in the best I could and didn't look at angles I knew would be bad. It would always takes me by surprise and hurts my feelings so bad when someone makes a comment like (one of my favorites ..not...LOL) you are really pretty for being such a big girl. Or...how about, you have a pretty face, have you thought about losing some weight?, another not favorite...

So I guess a big part of my problem in adition to turning to food as comfort and binges of ice cream and whatever else I craved is denial. I don't know how I don't see the fat in the mirror. Show me a photo and that's another story. I have sworn before that something was wrong with the camera lense, LOL I actually remember getting so mad at my husband after he snapped some shots of me at the beach because I thought he was such a horrible photographer. How could he only get bad angles and unflattering lighting. LOL!!! Of course in hind site I realize it was the subject not the photographer but somehow I just never see it at the time.

Trish sorry to hear about those comments some people are just rude & Ignorant...The

sad thing is they teach there kidds to treat people the same way! If people only new how words hurt. I ,am happy to see your smiling face here ( trying ) to do some thing about your weight Issue.....the old saying is if there talking about you then there leaving me alone.Haha. just roll with it soon the weight will be off you will feel so much better you have took the 1st step to better health I wish you much luck.

Take care God bless

You guys have me laughing my butt off...there surely is no cure for stupid, but sometimes I still wish there was an easy cure for being overweight. I will not say fat!! I was chubby in middle school, wich wasn't helped by the fact that my mother loves short hair - as in Peter Pan - so I looked like a boy with a bowl cut...I've finally forgiven my mother for that (ha) but I think my family really had a lot to do with it. I was raised to clean my plate and to eat dessert after every meal, and my father had gastric bypass 2 yrs. ago,so there you go...but really, I think it's a combo of genetics (my whole family plus some extended family are large) and psychological stuff. I also am on medication for depression, which my mother and grandmother also had. I was thin in highschool and the beginning of college (until 22yrs old) but I still thought I was fat and felt huge next to other girls. I got married at 22, had my beautiful son at 23, and now am 25 and 243lbs. on surgery day. I felt I had a license to eat when I was pregnant, and eat I did - Popeye's baby! Olive Garden! yum....ok, I'm back. Anyway, I was somewhat confused after the birth of my son when I looked like I was still pregnant (you mean your body doesn't just shrink back to pre-pregnancy status?) and I was depressed, I probabaly had post-partum but never checked into it...so, let more eating ensue. I lost weight briefly, went down to 188, then right back to 240. Doesn't help that my husband is ridiculously handsome (sorry, but he is) works out everyday and can eat a barge full of food and not gain a pound of fat. Just nice muscles. Jerk. So, by my joking thru this, which is why people don't ever know I'm battling depression, I basically am saying that I think a lot (most) of it had to do with me, my image of myself, unhappiness with myself, etc. Someone said earlier "I'm not miserable because I'm fat, I'm fat because I'm miserable" and that struck a chord with me. So, I pretty much dislike myself and don't think I am worth the time and energy it takes to eat right and exercise. Not to mention, I really enjoy food! It tastes good! My father is a cook, the family I nanny for always cooks excellent food...and I love Chevy's mexican food, Pasta, chinese...I just love food. And food apparently loves me back. So pretty much, that is how I ended up where I was before surgery. Well, it's been a full 2 weeks, I've lost 6lbs. and although excited, I also am sad that it is not more. But nothing worth having comes easy, right? Hope this touched some of you out there....and somebody feels the same as me. Let's keep our heads up!

Hi Y'all!

I am new - and praying that insurance will cover the cost of the band. I have already gained in the best way from this site. Thank you all!

I am fat because my mom was a kid during the depression. Her mom would leave her for weeks at a time with no money and no food. She always said that she was never able to lose the weight after I was born. (Gee, mom. Thanks for the Guilt Trip).

Top that off with Parents divorcing at at early age - and then re-marrying. Add a little disappearing Grandfather, a little domineering Grandmother, some starving children in China and Voila! You get the incredible increasing woman!

Really, looking back at all the strangeness in my life, I am just happy that Fat is my only issue.

Everybody think good thoughts about Blue Cross.

Thanks for being there!

Thanks for keeping this thread going. I tell a lot of people to come here (I even told my surgeon to read this post.) I always assumed everyone was overweight for the same reasons, but that's not the case.

I have the #1 Combo Upsized, which comes with the dysfunctional family, the obesity gene, the "clean plate or die" threat, and a side of the there-was-no-food-as-a-child-so-make-up-for-lost-time-now. With a large Diet, please.

DeLarla, I just have to say reading your posts are great, you are funny, yet honest and upfront about what you've done wrong as well as what you're trying to accomplish. It takes guts to say, 'I've messed up', and 'I've gained weight'. It sucks! But you are a great person, and I know things will turn around and you'll be back on the losing side soon!!!

Why am I so fat... okay....

I'm the youngest of 7 children. Mom & Dad (poorly educated) always working. Dad was a happy lovabe drunk, always worked but had no time for us kids. Mom (who can't read, write or drive) struggled with two jobs just to keep us fed. My Mom know's what starvation is and never wanted her kids to ever know that feeling.

Our dinner table was always full of breads, potatoes, Pasta, rice, starches, anything that stuck to 9 hungry bellies.

Never abused physically as a kid but emotionally negelected, okay, totally ignored. Never encouraged, never complemented. If I was noticed I was mocked for being fat. I wouldn't dare open my mouth because no matter what I said I was shot down and called stupid.

food became my best friend, my love. It never put me down and it was always there by my side, It was my way out and it felt so good, still does. Lived with alot of people but grew up very lonely. Still to this day, I can be in a room with 100 people and still feel alone.

My Weight Chart:

Age 0 - 7: Skinny kid.

Age 7: moved to a new town, very shy, no friends, started gaining weight.

Age 7 - 20: Highest weight was 300+

Age 20: My Father died of Cancer. Shortly after I met the love of my life (so I thought), he dumped me and I was so heart broken I couldn't eat for months, I mean this man loved me, all 300 lbs of ME. So the depression and starvation process began.

Age 22: I weighed 150 lbs (starvation).

Age 23 - 25: Met new boyfriend, fell in love, got married - weighed 160 lbs

Age 25 - 33: Kept weight between 175 - 185 lbs (but notice it rising).

Age 33: Sister died unexpected. Rapid weight gaining started 100 + lbs. Major depression starts.

Age 36: Weighed 226 lbs (got pregnant and swore I wouldn't get any bigger).

Age 37: Had DD and at the end of the pregnancy weighed 260 lbs, lost 38 lbs and gained it back same year (postpartum depression is why I lost the 38).

Age 38: Weighed 250 lbs.

Age 39: Lost 30 lbs with Atkins Diet

Age 40: Gained back 30+ lbs lost on Atkins Diet

Age 40: Diagnosed with ADHD

Age 40: I weigh approximately 254 lbs.

Age 40: Tired of losing the battle, tired of the struggle, TIRED!

Age 40: Seeking Lapband

I have arthritis in my knees since I'm 12 (and in my back). Bone spurs and DDDisease in my spine.

I have gone to psy doctors for therapy time and time again...sigh.

My entire life I have been on every stinkin diet there is, tried all diet pills. Last diet pill tried was this year, May, 2005, Merida (still some left in my purse).

July, 2005 - Researching Lap Band Surgery

August 2, 2005 - Going to Doctor for medical lap band referal.

August 9, 2005 - Going to Surgeons Seminar on lap band.

This is me..... Eileen

Why am I fat? Hmm... I eat when I am stressed, depressed, PMSing, family celebrations, lunch with friends, drinks and more drinks with coworkers. I wake up in the morning with food on my mind and go to bed at night hating myself for all that I ate. I always tell myself that tomorrow I will start dieting, but tomorrow always comes and goes. I am being banded on Aug. 16 and I am hoping and praying that this will help my issues with my weight.

I also dont see my fat in the mirror. Because I'm very tall, my slip from overweight into obesity hasnt actually added much inches to my frame. Gone up one clothes size but am 20kg heavier. There just hasnt been that in your face STOP signal for me, until I started to feel crap. I was surprised when the physio said to me that my feet hurt because of my weight, I've had vulnerable ankles all my life. I dont see that if I go out and jog I may hurt myself (which is why one ankle now is really giving me trouble).

I know I'm bigger than others, I know I cant buy clothes in normal shops but I really dont think I realise how fat I am.