Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post-op and feel sick

I was banded on Thursday, Jan 24 and everything seemed fine except that I was very sleepy all the time. But omg today- I feel so sick and weak. Is this normal? I had intended to go back to work today but there's no way. I'm asking myself why on earth I did this to myself? I've tried cutting down on the liquid hyrdrocodone to see if I'd be less sleepy but it hasn't helped. Any advice? Can I take something else like ibuprofen for the pain?

illion

I feel the same exact way. That's why I got on to see if anyone else was feeling this way. I had planned to go back today too but, no way man.

Be careful with the hydrocodone. It can cause some wicked Constipation. Call your doctor. See what over the counter pain meds he recommends. My doctor was very adamant about what to use, due to the possibility of causing bleeding, but I don't remember what he recommended. I didn't take it anyway. I can't take hydrocodone, so I just toughed it out. It wasn't so bad. I was out a week and a half. I needed every bit of it. Be gentle with yourself.

It's pretty normal to feel okay right after the surgery, but then to feel horrible several days later. I had the same problem & met a lot of others like you. Hang in there.

Oh, that hydrocodone is bad. Quit taking it, get some nourishment into you and another days rest. Re-evaluate tomorrow.

Thanks... I haven't taken any pain med since 9am. Trying to hang in there and shake this. Even gone back to Clear Liquids. Maybe that's why? Not getting enough calories?

That's what I'm blaming how I feel on, not enough calories. I was banded 01/25, but so far today I have added 2 oz of pudding and am about to try some really thin mashed potatoes, and am drinking isosorb for Protein. I felt a little better after pudding, I think we just need to listen to our bodies, not everyone is the same.

I am going through very similar stuff, that's why I got on too. I was in the ER this weekend with dry heaves and stomach cramps. I was banded on the 22nd of January. I have been on clear liquids for two days now. I kind of feel like I have swallowed a sponge!! I just had to go have a CT scan too. feel like crap!! I hope you feel better!

All sorts of things are to blame, from extreme caloric intake to the anesthesia, surgical stress, your body is detoxing from all that fat & sugar, etc. I was horrible for 2 days after, then had 1 good day when I was so excited to be feeling better, then whammo, the 4th day was the worse. The good news is that after a couple days I improved in leaps & bounds. Hang in there!

And... I had such horrible disgustingness exiting my backside with rumbling in my belly that I thought I contracted a foreign disease & went to urgent care. The doctor didn't even need a stethescope because she heard the rumbling bouncing off the exam room walls. She ran every test for all sorts of stuff, which all came back negative. It was really gross and uncomfortable, but it will get better!!!

I was banded on 01/21/08 I stayed on clear for a week. I only took pain meds at hospital. I stayed in Mexico 3 days. When I returned home just layed around and walked the gas off my tummy. Maybe you are rushing things a bit. This is not a drive through surgery... Hope you get well soon. Keep us posted

Hi Sorry to hear your feeling bad! I was just wondering what hydrocodone? Is that pain meds? I was just wondering never heard of it before. What you are going through is what I am most worried about. I have never had any kind of surgery so I have no idea of what my pain talorents is going to be. Hope you feel better

Pain meds can take awhile to clear from your system. Give them some time to clear. Also, are you getting enough Protein?

I think I was getting enough protein.... except today I can't stand to eat or drink anything.