Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going a little crazy with the liquid diet thing. I had to do liquids for a week before surgery and now it's more than a week after and I don't think I can stand it anymore. Blended Soup grosses me out. I can't stand the taste of "light yogurt" anymore. I'm sick to death of sugar free pudding cups. It seems like everything on the list of approved liquids is something that's been super-sweetened with splenda or aspartame, except the aforementioned Soups. I am dying to eat just something as simple as a scrambled egg! Anyone have any tips or tricks?

I'm supposed to stay on liquids for another week before I can even start pureed foods. I don't feel any discomfort when eating and I can eat 6 oz. or so of soup before I just loose interest. I wonder how long everyone else had to stay on liquids before they could move on to stuff like eggs and cottage cheese? By the way, I didn't care at all for cottage cheese before, but it's starting to sound pretty frickin' good!

I love how more than 30 people have viewed this, but no one has responded. You want us to tell you to go ahead and try mushies, but no one will tell you that. Speaking as someone who broke the rules and DID advance to the next eating stage and did fine, everyone will tell you to stick to what your doctor told you to do. I didn't, however, and did fine. I guess I'm one of the rebels of this board. I was banded over Christmas and New Year's and broth and Water was just not doing it for me. There are people who have broken the rules and did fine (me, for example) and then there are people who have gone too fast and wound up in the ER. We can't tell you what to do...

The 30 people that have viewed this may not have all been banded and gone through the experience to be in a position to reply! ( Just thought I would point that out!! )

I remember when I was at the same point you are currently. It is hard. I'm not sure what you mean by blended Soup, but when I was at your stage, someone recommended the Campbells At Hand Soups. I had seen them, but never tried them. It was just what I needed at that stage. If you haven't given it a try, it might help. The Creamy chicken is really good. If you have unflavored Protein powder, you could also add some Protein, but mix it in before you heat the soup or it will clump.

Hang in there. The next food stage may seem so far away, but it will come before you know it.

The way I see it is you can stick to what your doctor recommended and feel good about yourself or you can do what you want and then feel bad because you're not sure if you have damaged your band, especially if you are getting stuck, etc. It seems like it's forever but as Kelly said, you'll be at the mushies stage before you know it. Good luck.

I love how more than 30 people have viewed this, but no one has responded. You want us to tell you to go ahead and try mushies, but no one will tell you that. Speaking as someone who broke the rules and DID advance to the next eating stage and did fine, everyone will tell you to stick to what your doctor told you to do. I didn't, however, and did fine. I guess I'm one of the rebels of this board. I was banded over Christmas and New Year's and broth and Water was just not doing it for me. There are people who have broken the rules and did fine (me, for example) and then there are people who have gone too fast and wound up in the ER. We can't tell you what to do...

Right. WE can't tell you what to do, but keep in mind that your surgeon has already told you what to do. It's always best just to do what your surgeon lines out for you.

If you just want encouragement, here goes... There are lots of people here who had to be on the liquid diet for weeks and weeks. They all survived it, and you can, too! Remember it's only temporary, and soon enough you'll be eating solid food again.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm crabby about it but I'll try to stick to it... I know it's what's best..I just needed to vent, I guess.

Can you have plain juice? Or maybe a watered down smoothie? After surgery its all about healing, so you don't want to stress your stomach or band. In reality, juice is not so great for you anyway, but since you are in this stage, some natural juice with no additives might be the trick. Try broth, or even wonton Soup without the wontons.

I'm trying to go as natural as possible. I have been on liquids for 9 days and have 12 more to go. All I have it 3 Protein Shakes a day (1/2 c skim milk plus Protein sweetened with stevia), a few mugs of broth, Vitamins and Water. I too feel like I'm going crazy. It sounds to me like you are a little sick of the fake sweet taste-maybe some salty will do you good. Broth with lots of salt (I add sea salt to the low sodium organic that my hubby bought) might help. Good Luck!

I couldn't do sugar-free stuff AT ALL. Like you said, they're super-sweetened. Call your doctor, he may take pity on you and let you have regular-sugar items. I'm sure he'd much rather you stay on liquids than stay on sugar-free stuff.

Yes! I went to Walgreen's today (day 5 after banding). I saw the ice cream and my mouth started to Water. I guess we're so used to our ways that when we change it takes awhile for our brains to follow. I too long for regular food. I've never been a big fan of eggs, but they're sounding good too!

Ok here is the tough love!!!!!! Yes this is hard, and believe me when I tell you that its hard!! I was banded on Jan 2 2008. Since Nov 23 I have had nothing but liquids, before surgery three Protein shakes made with Water and ice PERIOD not even a banana, milk nada!! After surgery for one week, sugar free Clear Liquids and broth, then for three more weeks three Protein Shakes made with Water and ice cept now they are made with only four oz of water!!! Its not til week five that i can have purreed foods, such as bean Soup, ff cottage cheese and vegtables. Week seven I can eat these things without putting them in a blender, Week nine I can than start solid foods. There is a reason for all of this!! Your stomach is healing after banding. In order for the band to get stable and not slip and produce scar tissue to hold it in place, you need to leave ur gut alone and not give it food to work. ie, digestion, when you eat your stomach moves around and mulls food down to your intestines. If your stomach is moving alot, it wont allow scar tissue to form and slow your healing down. My friend, this is hard I am right there with you but its only a few weeks in your life, so choose!!!! Heal or possibly have issues down the road. No one but a fatty will understand what your going thru but we did this to loose weight, WE WILL NOT FAIL!!!!!!!! You are not alone, so instead of wanting to eat, just remember how bad you feel at your highest weight, remember the pain, remember the looks of other people judging you, remember the anger, remember the lonliness, remember you did this to live!!!!!!

Come here as often as you can and choose life!!!!!!

I was banded Christmas eve, did not get to go back to the Doctor until Jan 10. I was on liquids that entire time, and was to consume 1 oz an hour. It was awful. By the time I got to mushie stage I was so glad! I will not get my first fill until March 6. I had a large hiatal hernia repaired as well as fundoplication so it takes a little longer to heal. Yes, I am hungry a good portion of the time. 2 weeks out adding more protien helped alot, but at 5 weeks now even adding the protien is not helping alot. I get to go on food this week and am glad.

It has not been fun, but is just price I have to pay. I am greatful to not have reflux, or pains from the hernia and sure do not want to mess up my band. I did like the Campbells creamed Soups, blended the cream of chicken so there was no pieces of anything and that helped. I also used protien shakes and sipped on that and it helped.

Hang in there

Hi Guys,

:tt1::lol::lol::lol: this is so funny, I'm sorry I feel your pain honest I do. Been there done that and bought the tee-shirt.

WHY ARE NONE OF YOU WEIGHING YOURSELVES? This is what makes it all worth while, you sip on your Soup, you slowly swallow your yogurt, you wince at another glass of Protein Shake. THEN YOU WEIGH YOURSELF and the needle is moving DOWNWARDS. How great is that, I think its fantastic! You will be able to eat normal food soon, when the swelling goes down, and you've lost a load of weight and you band will loosen and you'll be running to your dr for a fill to gain restriction. Every time you feel sorry for yourself stand on the scales, its the only thing that will make you smile till your able to eat solids again.

Good luck. Welcome to the losing side. It gets different but not necessarialy better.:rolleyes2::smile: