Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bored eating...

Does anyone have issues with boredum eating? I have heard so much about after the band they are not "hungry" but my issue isn't that I am hungry as much as it is that I eat to be "doing something". Doesn't matter what it is... it goes down. Do you think this will mean I will fail with the band?

I have this fear as well. I have been not working for nearly two yrs now. I took a hiatus & than officially left my job march 2004. I have been trying to start a few things on the side & mainly find myself eating if there isn't a project going on. Its horrible. I have been trying to prepare myself for a life w/the band & know that it will be MANDATORY for me to always be more busy than I am now. I am hoping that I will be able to walk more when the weather changes, in the mean time I may do additional volunteer work or home projects for friends. I DO NOT think you will fail with the band because you already know what your nemesis is & have the power to change it. We both can do this ;0)

food is a little demon, isn't it? It gets us when we're hungry, tired, bored, lonely, happy, sad, depressed -- any time. The band is such a wonderful tool to help us fight those habits. You might start making a list of "non-food" things to do. A lot of times just drinking some Water is all you need to do. I still have to work on that one too - some days better than others. I've just about stopped watching tv altogether...all of those food commercials! Best of luck to both of you! You can do this!

Boredom is my #1 food trigger. You are absolutely not alone. There are lots of distractions in my life at the moment, but even on the odd slow day at work I really have to be alert to that bored munching.

The band definitely helps with even that kind of impulse, so there's no reason to think you won't be successful. You just have to be aware of it and figure out your strategies to battle it. Everyone has their own specific behaviors to deal with; they're all a lot easier to face down with the band.

Check out the food JOURNAL THREAD....I just discovered it yesterday and it's AWESOME!!! Will keep you full of ideas of what others are eating, and keep you honest if youpost your own journals. Check it out....it WILL help!!! There are also cookbooks coming out that I have seen. One in particular that I love is " Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery": Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat, High-Protein recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years after Surgery -- by Patt Levine, et al. Not an advert...just being honest....As the lap band surgery gets more popular, there are more books being published on the subject! Hope this helps!

N*

:D

PS

I also eat out of boredom...I think it's a habit we've all developed over the years...and we are definitely NOT alone!

It's a proven fact, at least in my case, that I can be on the computer for hours on end, sometimes 5-6 at a time if I have lots to do and will do nothing but drink Water. But the second I get in front of the TV, I need something to munch on!!! HONEST!!! And it's not even that I am hungry...just a habit! Needless to say, I don;t watch much TV, unless it's a special or a favorite; but have to have my big jug o' Water with me or I am in big trouble!!! :rolleyes :D

'Bandit, I don't believe you will be a failure! Heck, you've recongnized one of your major triggers. Once you know the name of your demon, you have a better chance of controlling it. (And my dad said reading all those fantasy novells was a waste of time!) This is an excellent time to take up a new hobby.

Nancy, your need to eat while watching TV reminds me of "habit eating." I think the number on place for habit eating is at the movies. A lot of people have to have their giant tub of popcorn (oozing with grease), giant soda and candy or they can't enjoy the show. Now for me, food or drink is just a major distraction at the movies.

:D Thanks everyone. I am just so darn worried. I like the idea of taking up a hobby. My mom does "stamping and card making". I found that very relaxing and therapeutic during my divorce 5 years ago but I think I will try and do that. I also am into the whole "theme room" decorating so I think since I got a new house in July I will try and work that in as well. The food journal thread will be nice too. I already have a comp book dedicated to keeping a log, I hope I keep up with it. I also think that if I spend a lot of time on this site giving my opinions and thoughts it will help.

Banding to be done: March 24, 2005

Dr. Ortiz

First fill scheduled: May 7th