Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit by a BUS! LONG POST

Hey fellow bansters,

Well as the title suggests, I feel like I have been mowed down. My surgery was at 8 am yesterday. My doctor told my family when It was all done that my liver was so tiny, that it really made my surgery easy. I guess he had been expecting that I was going to be a difficult case. The Surgery took him 40 minutes and that was with explanation to the other Dr. who was monitering. When I got into my room my throat was on fire, and my upper lip was kinda ragged, I guess from either insertion or extraction of the tube. I felt as if there was a big guber stuck in my throat that I couldnt clear out. My stomach felt like I had been in a bar fight and had been kicked repedily. My shoulder and back were in agony and my calfs really hurt.

So I asked for some pain meds, the nurse brought me demoral and with in 5 minutes I felt like I was dizzy and going to puke. Luckily, the puke feeling was just gas as I needed to burp. The demoral started to kick in and I just had enough time to get into bed before I became completely unconcious. When I got up I had to do a crunch to get up and I thought I was going to die.

I walked around the wing every hour on the hour and for some dumb reason insted of getting into the chair I kept climing into the bed which I think was doing my abs in.

So I started to feel crapy again, the lady next to me who was done after me had absolutely no affect from the surgery other than the kick in the gut feeling.

So after another demoral nap, I woke up feeling better and my Dr. actually offered to release us that night. So as my band neighbor was being discharged I was so determinded to go home to, so I started to do laps with avengence. I ended up leaving around 8:45 and got home around 11.

Sorry this has been long but I wanted to share my experience with those who actually no what I am going through.

Rachel, I'm so sorry you have had such a hard time. I hope you are feeling better by now. Please keep us posted and know that the weight loss will be well worth it.

Nancy

Wow, Rachel, It really does get better day by day! Congratulations on getting your band! Keep sip, sip, sipping and walking as much as possible.

rachel, thank u for sharing. that was a great detailed account of what to expect post op. i feel like i have learned alot. hope u r feeling better soon and post on. im sure some of the others who have been there can offer more support than me and share their similar experiances. U DID IT!!!!!!! way to go girl.

Glad to hear the surgery was a breeze for the doc. Believe it or not, you'll be feeling great in a few days! Surgery is an attack on your body and sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds. The recovery is quick. Keep up the hydration. Walk, walk, walk! You'll be raving in no time!

Well that certainly didn't sound like a pleasant day for you at all. But I am glad your home in your own space & healing. Take care of yourself these next few weeks & Let us know that your doing better soon. TC

Thanks everyone,

I know that today although still gassy, I am walking so much more upright. My back is still hurting me. Luckily Angus was a massage therapist. My dad who is in town has made me litterally 4 weeks worth of kick ass broth. After being on Atkins, the taste of carrots and onions and leeks etc. almost sent me into permanet extacy.

I will keep you all informed.

Rachel, I'm sure you will feel good in a couple of days. Good luck to you!!! Let us know when you feel better.

The broth will do you wonders!!! It's what made me feel so much better after surgery.....a great comfort food...with some flavor to it....and the warmth just hit the spot! Believe it or not....this too shall pass....Hang in there Rachel...You're on the road to a new and healthier life!!!

hugggggggssss

from Nancy

be strong girl ! the days will pass and you will get stronger as days go on! We are here for you . I had a rough time with awful pain after surgery . I thought I would die! I had terrible pain in my back ! Take good care we are here for you

Rachel... I sure wasn't a happy camper after surgery... but thank goodness it gets better with each passing day! Just keep walking and sipping and get plenty of rest!

Last night I slept from midnight till 5:30, then for the first time was able to sleep on my left side where all of my insicions are, from 5:30 till 8:30 when the phone rang, then I switched sides again and I didnt wake until 10. WOW I need like 5 more sleepy days like that and I will be knew in no time.

Oh ya, this morning I realilzed the old saying liquid in Liquid out. Yikes, its a good thing I am home for a week. Better get some liquid immodium or something.

I will keep you all posted on the wonder, that is Rachel's Surgery. LOL