Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers Unite!

Hello All!!!!!!

Well I have finally checked back in on the site- have had MAJOR issues at home- but I am still struggling with loosing weight. Had my last fill- have a 10cc band and I am up to a 6 fill. SO I need to make another doc appt AND control my munching fits- I am addicted to cheetos!!!!!:sad:. I have a south beach diet book- so I am trying to find better Snacks for me. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to give up bread totally. It just doesn't go down that well. :blush:. SO gotta find other things. I haven't lost much weight- I was excited my clothes that I normally wear were getting loose- woohoo- THEN I weighed myself, I had gained 2 pounds:mad2:.

SO here I go again. I'll let you know how it is going

how do you deal with getting yourself to do the things that will create success... i.e., not drinking with meals, not grazing, etc... is it will power alone? does the band keep you full?

how do you deal with getting yourself to do the things that will create success... i.e., not drinking with meals, not grazing, etc... is it will power alone? does the band keep you full?

Hi Pellman,

Are you banded?

I don't drink while eating because it can make you throw up. It really is not hard, I used to drink a LOT with my meals but you get used to it.

I still graze once in a while BUT I try to choose some thing good to graze on. Nuts, yogurt a protien shake. The good thing is even if I chose something bad like potato chips or popcorn I cqan only eat a very same amount! The other day I sat down with a bag of cheese popcorn...I know BAD choice! Anyway I ate not even a hand full and I was done! I laughed and said I LOVE MY BAND! In the old days I would have eaten 1/2 a bag!

The band still lets me get hungry BUT I get full VERY fast! Yes you still need will power BUT the band is a wonderful helping tool!

Giid Luck!

I do love my band, (even with the three pound gain). I know the gain is because I'm not following the rules like I should. No one to blame but myself. I NEED TO MAKE MYSELF START EXERCISING! I know that is holiding me back. But, I do feel a big difference than from before I was banded.

Hello Pellman,

I understand you with the grazing, I was there a few weeks ago and my solution turned out to be get a fill and track my meals. I joined spark people.com to keep track of my food (it's free) and started working out even more which in turn helped to decrease my appetite. When I got my last fill a couple of weeks ago it gave me the best restriction I've had since being banded. I had to learn how to eat properly meaning Portion Control and learn how to sip a little less liquid at one time but now I've got the hang of it. Come to think about it, I've had so much on my mind this morning I forgot to eat Breakfast, I guess I will have to try to eat a yogurt a little later because my calorie intake sucks. I don't seem to get enough in so I try not to miss my meals but it's so close to lunch time that I might as well wait and just continue with my liquids. Once I got the right restriction I couldn't graze without getting sick so that put a stop to that. You've really got to find what works for you. I wish you the best!:wink2:

Pellman-

I would love to know the secret to not drinking with meals- I am BAD at that. I wish that I had the will power not to drink with my meals. I have always had a glass of tea with my meals- and I am finding it hard to quit. Kind of like a crutch- if I am not drinking I feel weird. I am not the perfect person to answer on anything great that I have done. To be honest I need to exercise, not drink with meals AND schedule my next fill- I am hoping that will give me the kick in the butt I need to behave- good luck

Hi Everyone, I justed wanted to post to let everyone know I was still alive and kicking, been crazy busy but losing some weight, so that makes me happy! I finally have great restriction and feel pretty in control. How has everyone been!

I'm actually at a point where I thought I was getting good restriction, but the last two weeks I have been gaining slightly. In a rut!!! NEED TO START EXERCISING!

Hello, I'm glad to see everybody is hanging in there. candy, it will get better go ahead and find some motivation to get started on an exercise plan as I have been eating properly and exercising and the weight is now finally coming off. I can actually say I am losing at least 2 pounds a week.

Badonk, I'm glad to hear the scale is moving for you too, keep up the good work

We can do this!

i was banded in july 2007. after my 2nd fill in sept 07 - i got restriction....too much restriction. (i was on mostly liquids for a couple of months.) i haven't gotten a fill since, and have remained tight. just this last month i have started to notice i can eat more than 4 oz occasionally.

i am posting because i feel so torn about this surgery. i had such high expectations and not many of them have materialzed. i did get good restriction, but not good weight loss. i have only lost 35 lbs. and i've lost that in large portions (right after surgery i lost 15 lbs., then nothing until 2nd tight fill - and at that time another 15lbs.) the remaing few lbs have come off 1 lb here 1 lb there. there has been no consistent weight loss like i expected (1-2 lbs per week). granted* i do exercise, but in spurts, and, sometimes i eat more ice cream and Desserts than i should. but, even when i avoid sugar, i don't really see an improvement.

i read today about a 5 day pouch test diet. i am going to try it. i am scheduled for a fill next tuesday, and i am unsure if i actually need it or if i just need to buckle down and make better use of calories. i am scared to get too much restriction again. it is so very uncomfortable.

thanks...for letting me vent. :thumbup:

Bluebike: You probably are too tight. If you can't get more than 4 oz down, and you are resorting to high caloric foods such as ice cream and sugar type thing then you need a defill.

I will say what everyone will say, the band is just a tool and you can use it properly or abuse it. If you continue to sabatogue the band, you will not loose weight.

I do not exercise regularly and I know someone who can't exercise at all yet we continue to loose slowly. Some plateaus yes but the overall march to goal continues.

You must go back to square one. Get a slight defill, use a small plate, measure and weigh your food. The total consumption must not be more than 1 cup of food per meal consisting of 2-3 oz. of pure HARD Protein (something you have to chew to death) and 4 -6 oz of veggies and fruit. Eat pure HARD protein every four waking hours and include some fibre. Record your food intake on Fitday (suggestion only) and be honest as to what you are recording. If you go back to pure basics and stick to them you should loose weight.

Because of my poor chewing habits, I keep a 5.5 fill in a 10 cc band. I can eat everything but never more than a cup. Give it a try and keep posting so we can encourage you.

Hello everyone!

Bluebike, I have to agree with Doddie, you need a slight unfill. We are expected to consume upto 4 ounces of food with a meal. Unfortunately junk foods can pass through the stoma pouch easily and have a tendency not to bother us but they do stop us from losing weight. You will have to focus on getting your Protein in and try to exercise for 30 minutes a day, it doesn't have to be a consecutive time frame do 3 ten minute walks a day or something. Go to a store and purchase the small bread plates (I found mine in Dollar General they are styro foam and cost on $1 for 45 plates). If you have to take lunch to work then go into a dollar store and find you some 4 ounce baby storage containers (you know on the baby isle) and use those to help measure your food. Make sure you try to log in everyday the foods that you eat because you can see where you are forming a pattern. The weight should then start to come off but make sure you get your Water in as well. I don't think you need to have a fill when you go to the Doctor I would suggest you keep the appt so that they can do the slight unfill but you may want to talk to the receptionist first because they may have something sooner. You can do this - you just have to learn how to work with the band. Keep us posted. Best of luck to you!

thanks... mostly just for 'listening' : )

we intuitively know what we need to do, but sometimes it just feels good to get it out. i will make a conserted attempt to get back on the exercise bandwagon and reduce my sugar grazes. i am trying that 5 day pouch diet (this is my 1st day) to test the restriction of my band. i'll keep you updated!!

thanks again!

Hi all,

I am so glad I found this posting site. I am a slow loser and thought I was alone. Thank goodness for this psoting.

I had surgery 12/13/07 I weighed 248, as of 5/6/08 I am 228. I am only down 20lbs. I see people that have 5 monthout and are down 50+ lbs. How depressing. I know I am losing but I thought it would be faster. My stepdaughter lost 75lbs in 5 months.

I just need to knuckle down and workout more. My exercise leaves a lot to be desired. I think I have reached my sweet spot. I am at 6cc's I think I'll stay here for a while since I have good restrictions and anymore may shut me down.

Again I'm glad I found you all.

hi ann!

i felt the same way. i was starting to feel guilty (or like i wasn't doing something right) when i would hear about 'someone's friend/sister/dad/cousin' that got lap band and is just shedding the weight. i am happy to hear that there are others like me. (the great news is they all seem to be still losing, just a little slower...i am absolutely determined to get to goal weight!)

you know, there is a girl on youtube called thebandinme. she has been banded and is video-journaling her journey. she talkes very open and honestly about all the pros and cons of lapband. i find it very interesting. you might want to check it out. :biggrin: