Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers Unite!

I used Dr. Lin in the same office as Dr. Davis. I really like him, but after surgery you never get to see him. The interns do all of the fills some are good some not so good. I saw Dr. White yesterday and really loved him. Have you ever seen him? He was so encourging and made me feel ok with the loss I have had.

Thank GOD I've found you all. I need HELP! I was banded 8/24/07 and have only lost 39 lbs or thereabouts. Not too sure because I don't even own a scale. I'm going to buy one this weekend and start to work harder at this. I've been getting discouraged because I'm not shedding the lbs like magic, but I haven't been doing what I'm supposed to. I'm still self-indulgent and eat and drink pretty much whatever I want. I have faithfully given up bread and I do eat much smaller portions than I did before the surgery, but I never was a really big eater. My issue has always been the fact that I refuse to excercise. I'm trying to talk myself into it, but it's so hard for me. I worked in my yard all day last Sunday and my legs are still sore. That's how out of shape I am. I have gone from a size 26 to an 18/20 but it's not enough. I'm 8 months in and I wanted to lose 100 the first year. I know I've lost a noticable amount, but I'm stuck now. For me, this is like going to an AA meeting and saying, Hi, I'm Elaine and I'm A BIG FAT LOSER! I know I shouldn't be hard on myself and trust me, I dont' usually have self-esteem issues, but I'm disappointed in myself for being a slow loser. This is exactly what I expected to happen. In the back of my mind I can hear a little voice saying, you didn't REALLY think this was going to work did you? Man...I'm really down about this today. Tomorrow will be better... :tt1:

Hi Elaine, Ok, first you need to stop saying "only" 39 pounds because 39 pounds is a lot to lose.

I lost 39 pounds and have just this week started to exercise. I believe food is the first thing we have to control and then we can conquer exercise. Some people can do both, but I needed to get on the right track foodwise first.

Don't own a scale? I could never do that. It would be too easy to convince myself that the scale is not going up, until it's too late and I've gained 7 to 10 pounds. But this is just me.

So do you need a fill? Are you eating around the band?

How have you gotten motivated in the past to eat right? Diet books? Joining weight watchers? Knowing swimsuit season is around the corner? Class reunion?

Do you think your head is telling you that after losing 39 pounds, you've done well enough and it's ok to stop? I have been worried about doing that. I am using a goal to get into a certain size as my reason that I am not ready to be done losing. I am petite and petite clothes go up to a 14 or 16 for many brands. I am just getting into a 16P and there are more choices at 12 or 14, so that is my next goal. Also, petite large tops are a little tight and I want them to fit well or be in a medium so I concentrate on that.

Is there something we can do or say, to help get you back on track?

Elaine. I suggest you relax and start from square one. Exercise is a great cardio but for weight loss it is only a very small part of the equation. When we are 300 lbs, our joints are at risk and frankly we hurt when we exercise making it not such a pleasant task. I know of someone that is severely disabled and never exercises but lost over 200 lbs just counting calories. If you follow the rules of eating with the band you will lose weight. No one says you have to lose 2-4 lbs per week. It is only suggested.

So I suggest square one:

1) eat every four hours which includes at least 2 - 3 oz. of HARD Protein. Plan proper nutrition - no wheat or dairy and at no more than a total of 6-8 oz.

2) start tracking what you eat and be honest when you put something in your mouth. Don't gloss over "that little bitt of whatever" when cooking.

3) Don't exercise - just go for a slow walk at first. As you lose weight your joints will allow you to exercise even more. Take your time.

Doddie

Doddie, You don't eat wheat or dairy? Is there a reason? Do you mean White bread as "wheat"?

Or is that just a suggestion to eliminate it to get back on track and get detox from carb overload?

Just curious?

Hey Roxie, I have never seen Dr. Lin, and don't remember a Dr. White. So far, Dr. Davis has done all of my fills. I go in next week for another. You know, I hear you and Elaine feeling bad about not losing more, and at times I do too, but then I remember HEY, I HAVE LOST WEIGHT! Not to gain is such a good thing! And, my clothes are fitting better and I CAN tell a difference, even if it is a slow one. I too struggle with the exercise issue. And, its not so much that my body won't tolerate it, its a mental thing of just making myself DO IT!

We are all in this together, and it is a journey, not a short trek through the woods. WE WILL MAKE IT! THINK POSITIVE!

I feel so much better today! Thanks for all of your support and advice. I guess I think I'm too cool or too busy to actually write down everything that I eat down. I know when I'm eating too much or eating the wrong thing. I started drinking beer again and I know that has a lot to do with it. I quit yesterday. I'm going back to the occassional cocktail. My friends are all beer drinkers and its hard to give up those old social habits. But my friends are all behind me and I went for months without drinking beer and then when I started up again they all fussed at me. These are bar owners and a few bikers, so trust me they don't hold back. No more Bud Lite for me! I have a date tonight and plan on having a couple of martinis and that's IT. I KNOW that alcohol has a lot of calories but one of the reasons I chose the lap band was because I could still be a social drinker if I want to. I'm wearing size 18 jeans and a long black top today and everybody at work has told me how good I look and that they can really tell I've lost, so that boosted my ego. And to answer the question, YES! I need a fill. I go too long in between but I have to pay $150 each time so I have to spread them out. I'm a single mom with a kid in college so I'm always trying to juggle it all. But I have an appointment next Thursday. They always do the barium swallow so I will know if I have stretched my pouch. I don't think I have, but my sister did and didn't even know it... Thanks again for the support. I plan to be a regular on here and I am so thankful to have somewhere to go to talk and ask questions and vent when I need to. I'm going to work in my yard again Sunday. I am so out of shape it's ridiculous. I'm getting there and a year from now I'm going to be smokin hot!

Hello Elaine,

We are all slow loser here. I was Banded June 21, 2007 and my weight loss is even less than yours if you consider my time frame but I just decided to get back on track. You are not a loser you are an achiever as you have managed to lose 39 pounds and you have kept it off so that makes you an achiever. Be proud of the pounds you have lost. Get back on track. Try to start tracking your calories daily and try to do a 10 minute walk each day, add on another 5 minutes when you feel comfortable and you will be surprised at how great you feel afterward. Keep in mind that we didn't gain this weight overnight so we should not expect to lose it overnight. I've always been told the slower you lose weight the better your chances are for keeping it off so you have the upper hand because not only are you losing slowly but you also have the band to help you to keep it off which serves as a double positive. That should indicate to you that you will still have successful weight loss 10 years down the line and I'm sure that sounds pretty remarkable to you. Don't feel defeated get in there and get motivated. Try creating some new recipes or copy some from this site because finding high Protein foods is always a task for me. I couldn't stand exercising either until about 4 weeks ago and now I can't get enough. I enjoy walking my subdivision and seeing the sites a periodic jog makes me get my heart rate going which I enjoy too. Best of luck to you! You can do it.

I am definitely a slow loser. Banded June 6, 2007 and I have lost (drumroll please) 10lbs.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen that is all.

I have 3.8cc in a 4cc band and plenty of restriction, still nada.

My doctor is not sure either because my band is working properly, I'm eating properly and exercising.

Any suggestions?

Hi, I always start with the basics. What does eating properly mean? How many calories each day? Are you able to eat solid food, like chicken or steak.

How much exercise and how often? Do you wait the hour before drinking after a meal?

Are you consuming liquid calories like wine or beer?

between 1200-1800 calories a day; i can eat chicken or steak if i chew really well and eat really slowly; exercise about an hour 3 days a week; and i was instructed to wait about 30-45 min to drink