Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jacksonville, Florida

I am soooo excited! I also asked about my outpatient co-pay & I about hit the floor... my OP surgery copay to the hospital is $25.00, if they keep me over night its inpatient copay $500

I think I will be calling each afternoon ...LOL

No, not really... well, maybe

hehehehehe

Hi all! Just got back from being out of town over the weekend. Hoping I didn't gain very much as it was for a social (eating event). I tried to make good choices and as I look back over the weekend I think I did. I even made my alcoholic drinks with sugar free Tropicana LOL. I still probably went over my carbs on Saturday but over the whole weekend it probably averaged out. I still have two and a half weeks until my next fill so I will get back on track and be fine.

I think I'm going to go out tomorrow and seek out places for us to meet. I think I know the general area, just need to scope things out and make sure it's a bandster friendly place.

It looks like Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday around 7:30 is going to be the best. Unfortunately, there is no one day where everyone is available so maybe we can shift the days around a bit instead of staying on one single day of the week.

Dr. Cywes gave me the talk this past appt about not concentrating on the scale and focusing more on my lifestyle. He said that once I took care of my lifestyle, that the scale would take care of itself. I think I'm doing my part so far! I sure as heck didn't go as overboard as I normally would have this weekend!

I'll let you guys know what I find in my looking around tomorrow!

Restaurant discovery of another kind.

Took the kids to IHOP today and on the back of their menu they have quite a few "carb conscious" meals. I had the "big Breakfast this morning which consisted of 4 eggs, bacon, ham and sausage. I ate about half the eggs, some of the bacon, half a slice of ham and gave the rest to my son LOL

I guess I am the only one not yet banded..I head for Mexico on April 6th. For the new folks - although I am diabetic with uncontrolled blood sugars, have high blood pressure and need to lose 50 pounds, my insurance company will not pay for any weight loss surgery. I guess they would rather charge me $500 month for a $5000 deductible and pay for all of the problems I will having in the future as a result of this. So shortsighted and ignorant.

Anyway, since I have to self pay and I am a realtor (we all know what the market is like now) I am going to Mexico to have my surgery - $7000 vs $18-25,000 here in the states.

Can't wait to meet ya'll. Any evening except Thursday - I am addicted to Survivor and Lost.

Band free here too! Hoping to be banded, waiting to see if my insurance will cover me. Good luck with your surgery, do you know when your going?

I am so thrilled! I wish it was sooner..LOL

I guess Apr 24th is soon enough. For the first 2 days after I found out, I did ok with my eatting during the day, then at night I felt like I hadddd to eat & eat... Today I am being really good & have not had a single carb all day. I did have my daughter run out & get me some Pork rinds, I figure if I feel like I must have crunch, then at least it is no carb crunch.

What is the pre op diet like? I want to start preparing for it now and start getting ready .

Congratulations on getting your date Katie, that is wonderful news. Which doctor are you going to again? I know Dr. Herrera had us do an all liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I can't remember the name of the place, but he has an agreement with some weight loss center in Orange Park where we get all our shakes and stuff from.

On another note, I am so excited for me. I go Monday for a fill. With any luck, after all the problems I have had for the past year, I should finally be restricted again! I can't wait to start losing again!!!

I became overfilled. Due to some brief financial difficulties, I let it go instead of going in to see Dr. Herrera. I ended up letting it go so long that I managed to irritate my esophagus, etc. When I finally went in to see my doc, I realized how wonderful he is. He told me to never let finances stand in the way of my health again and that my health is more important to him than money. He did not charge me for that visit or the next few, he is so wonderful. Anyways, I ended up having a complete unfill for quite a while. We determined I need to take my fills in teeny-tiny steps as a little for me can mean a huge difference. I had a fill a couple of months ago, but it didn't do much for me, so I am hoping the one on Monday will finally get me back to restriction so I can start losing again.

Susan, I will keep you in my thoughts that all goes well w/your next fill and that you will be able to get what you seek! Congrats Katie on your approval, a month will FLY by so start getting prepared NOW if you haven't already. Dr. Cywes' pre-op diet is VERY LOW CARB, so start now and remember this is the way you will be eating for the rest of your journey so don't approach it as a diet (it's not easy but it is doable). He'll want you on low carb for two weeks prior to shrink your liver (very very very important) and then 2 or 3 days liquid prior to surgery date. He's an awesome Doctor and will be very helpful in getting you started on your journey so don't sweat it too much, but any little changes you can start now will be a huge help when it comes time for the surgery. Feel free to ask us any questions cos' we are here to help you. Take care and be well. KKG

When I first met Dr. Cywes I thought he was a bit harsh but then I realized that's exactly what I needed. Now that I've been with him for awhile, I adore him. My husband and I were banded 4 days apart and go to our appointments together. Dr. Cywes is so in tune with exactly what we need to hear and educate us about our lifestyle. (I think he was fat in a past life!)

I haven't had a fill since December and have been to 3 appointments since then and I just enjoy talking with him and learning more and more about how much healthier we are and understanding the changes that our bodies are going through.

Sue

Sue, I couldn't agree with you more about Cywes'...at first I didn't care for his personality but now I adore him, he always knows just what I need to hear. As a matter of fact, I said that to him at my last appt. cos' when I went into the room with him he said sit down cos' I want to talk to you before you get weighed and proceeded to lecture me on how important it is for me to battle the addiction part and not to worry about the scale and that was exactly what I had been struggling with the weeks prior, so it was pretty amazing. He is EXACTLY what I need in a doctor. That is so awesome that you and hubby are doing this together, what a great support team you must make for each other! God speed! Much love, KKG

Sue, glad to hear you survived the weekend of social events...I know how hard that can be. I didn't fare as well this past week, I had my 17 yo niece visiting from VA and all she did was eat JUNK (aka CARBS) all week in my face and at first I did fine but then we went to the beach and I fell into a carb pit cos' she wanted to eat Italian Bistro, which I felt fine doing cos' I figured I'd just get a salad, but then she ended up ordering garlic bread and the smell did me in....and the rest is history!!! I don't want to get into specifics but I'll just say that now I'm into a bad eating rut and need a helping hand to pull myself out...anyone have some advice I'd appreciate it right about now, thanks. I feel so weak for falling into my bad habits after so many months of doing great!!! This addiction is just so strong. I will say that the Band has kept me from going "full hog" though, and even though I've definitely been putting it to the test these past few days it really does work on keeping you in check for the most part; unfortunately my head finds ways around it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for listening. KKG