Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

OMG--you all have to go to that link from the Denver Post and read how people responded. I was so fired up I had to register and post my own comment. It was obvious to me that the persons reading the Post are clueless about WLS. why we do it and the benefits it has.

I just went to the Denver Post site and read the article and comments. Thank you Fluffycat for your comment. You spoke well for all of us. I have an artifical knee. Judging from the comments of ignorance, I should just give it back, I guess. Same for pacemakers, stents, shunts, lens implants, and all the other medical devices that have been developed to treat diseases over the years.

Thanks for sticking up for us!! :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Looking for a multiple Vitamin that doesn't taste too bad. Does anyone have one that they like? Would appreciate some ideas. Thanks

Centrum Silver chewables aren't bad.

I think they come in two flavors.

So a few things - thanks to Phyllser and Long2BThin - I did talk with my co-worker and you were right Phyll - she is more than happy to answer any questions I have and has offered herself as a buddy. We have talked several times and I am getting lots of info from her.

So I have my appointment with the Dr tomorrow and thankfully my husband was listening better at the seminar than I was. He said he heard them say I would be there for several hours tomorrow; that they do everything in the same day...bloodwork, physical, nutritionist, behavioralist... wow - how did I miss that ???

Unfortunately, I may get pushed back because of another problem - since I only have one functioning kidney....my body decided to put lots of blood in my urine a couple weeks ago, now just microscopic, but I have to have a cysto on Thurs under anesthesia to make sure my kidney is still ok and nothing else is going on. So please keep me in your thoughts that maybe it's nothing but a stone or something kicking around that isn't causing any other symptoms.

I just needed to get this off my chest because I am worrying so much about this being the end of the road for getting the surgery. I am trying to keep positive thoughts but it isn't easy.

:thumbup:

Help - is a PB as bad as they say on this forum - how does it happen?

The pb is not the bad part. It's the food that is stuck until the pb comes.

First your mouth fills up with thick saliva which is your body's way of trying to

get the food unstuck. It's really better to get it over with than stay stuck.

I used to stand over the sink and keep spitting the slime into the sink. While I was bent over, the food stuck would usually come up. I haven't done this in months and usually it happens from being too tight. Basically, it's throwing

up, but without all the stomach acid. The food usually pops up or you burp and with the burp comes some food. That's why it's called pb productive burp. I have had all out puking that went on for over an hour. Where I would just keep throwing up more slime and little pieces of food. It's best when this happens to not try to drink and just let your stomach rest. It's really best not to be so tight that you have to pb at all.

Congratulations!! The day will come sooner than you think. I had surgery May 16th and have lost 34 lbs. I'm starting to hit the mini-plateaus and when I stay EXACTLY, to the tenth of a pound, the same for 4-5 days, well I get a little cranky but then all of a sudden....5 lbs just melt away.

Best of luck with your surgery.:thumbup:

So a few things - thanks to Phyllser and Long2BThin - I did talk with my co-worker and you were right Phyll - she is more than happy to answer any questions I have and has offered herself as a buddy. We have talked several times and I am getting lots of info from her.

So I have my appointment with the Dr tomorrow and thankfully my husband was listening better at the seminar than I was. He said he heard them say I would be there for several hours tomorrow; that they do everything in the same day...blood work, physical, nutritionist, behaviorist... wow - how did I miss that ???

Unfortunately, I may get pushed back because of another problem - since I only have one functioning kidney....my body decided to put lots of blood in my urine a couple weeks ago, now just microscopic, but I have to have a cysto on Thurs under anesthesia to make sure my kidney is still ok and nothing else is going on. So please keep me in your thoughts that maybe it's nothing but a stone or something kicking around that isn't causing any other symptoms.

I just needed to get this off my chest because I am worrying so much about this being the end of the road for getting the surgery. I am trying to keep positive thoughts but it isn't easy.:thumbup:

So glad you are talking with your co-worker. That's great.

As for the other stuff, try not to worry. May be nothing. I don't have your kidney problems, but used to show blood in my urine every now & then. Had a couple of ultrasounds, cysto several times... nothing.

Wow....as usual, I am in awe of how well everyone is doing. 100 pounds in 7 months???? Unbelievable. You are all so inspiring to me.

I had two victories today: finally, after 2 weeks of not moving, that blankety-blank scale went down a pound! I stayed with the low carb program, charting everything I ate on myplate.com, and thank goodness, it is working again. Hope that continues.

Also, and probably a silly NSV to many, I was able to eat romaine! Now, before this process, I was a salad lover and had prepared myself psychologically to give up salads. I was brave today and ordered a chicken caesar without dressing and croutons. I ate about 1/4 of it, after I chopped it up with a knife (kind of like a cobb salad can be) and took tiny bites. Nothing ever tasted as good as that romaine lettuce did today! I have the rest in the fridge for another time (or two or three), and I am a happy woman. Now to lose the rest....:)

Nancy

Thanks for your salad report. I dearly love salads and this gives me hope that they aren't totally a thing of the past.

Orea

Hi everyone,

I've been reading and researching everything i can find. I had asked my insurance co for the requirements and i got them today.

1) 18 years or older (My baby is 21, so that's no problem)

2) complete a psychological examination to determine readiness and fitness for surgery and necessary postoperative lifestyle changes (this i was expecting after reading so much here)

3) complete a structured diet program in the 2-year period that immediately precedes the request for the surgery by participation in either: - One structured diet program for 6 consecutive months or - Two structured diet programs for 3 consecutive months. (Can include commonly available diet programs such as Weight Watchers® or Jenny Craig®)

(I did WW, starting Jan 07 and ending Feb 08 and have my weigh-in book so that should be ok. I lost 40 lbs and gained back 30 of it since Feb.)

4) meet either of the following criteria: - BMI of 40; or - BMI equal to or greater than 35, in combination with one or more of the following co-morbid conditions: hypertension; a cardiopulmonary condition; sleep apnea; diabetes; or any life threatening or serious medical condition that is weight induced (My BMI is 42, have a strong family hx of heart disease, stroke and diabetes)

Just knowing that i already meet most of their criteria makes me feel that this might just be the answer to my problem.

Now what should i do? See my PCP or decide on a surgeon and attend an information seminar? I don't think i've ever been so excited to be morbidly obese! That is really a sick thought...lol

Pat

I find that the PBing happens when I eat too fast, especially bread products. It has happened when I let myself get too hungry and eat without consciously thinking about each bite. It has also happened in social situations where I am busy talking and eating too fast, again, not being conscious. I know when it is going to happen because there is pressure and then the increase in saliva. I usually just put a napkin up to my mouth and walk quickly to the nearest sink or bathroom. I try really hard not to do this because it isn't pleasant and I know that I am reverting back to my old bad habits of eating too fast and not being conscious. It is a learning curve and best not to beat yourself up about it. Becky

Edited by beckn

I have not pb before and I hope I don't but eating too fast is a real problem for me and I have not had a fill yet. I try to slow down but that is really hard. Also, when I get hungry then I also have a problem with eating too fast. i gotta get that in control. Seems like everyone is doing okay tonight. good job.

Beckyo:thumbup:

Maybe this should go into a different thread but there seems to be such wonderful activity here in the 50s - I'll throw this one out to all my new friends;

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease back in 1990 (I was 40 at the time)

After heart function was determined to be in jeopardy - :scared2:

I had the recommended radioactive iodine treatment

and within a short few weeks was left with the dastardly hypothyroidism and shortly after that -

even more evil - 80 pounds. :lol:

Now -

1. How does that factor into LapBand eligibility :unsure:

and

2. LapBand success??? :thumbup:

(I have a 36 BMI and Diabetes type 2 and an ever-increasing co-morbidity collection)

:frown: