Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hey Sadie! I'm from Colorado too! I was just banded 6/5 by Dr. Snyder at Rose Medical. Maine is one of my most favorite places to visit, enjoy your vacation. Which WW do you go to? I was going to Northglenn and am debating whether to go tomorrow. Haven't been since banding and I'll be down 15+ tomorrow, would get my 20, 25 30 lb stars and my 10% and 25 lb magnet! LOL Kindda tempting but am afraid they'll yell at me for losing too fast. And I'm not sure I want to come clean there or not or if I want to continue going.

Hi everyone, I am now four days out and had a much better day today. Alot of gas gone and am feeling better. Went to grocery store and had dinner with my kids and dh at our house. They made a nice salad, cut up potatoes with butter and seasonings on the grill and barbecued pork steaks. then they made pineapple upside down cake. It looked good. I sat at the dinner table with everyone and had a 1/4 cup of brocolli cheese Soup mixed with a little skim milk and it was so delecious. Today so far I have had one cup Unjury with 1/2 Water, 1/2 skim milk, then I had half of a yogurt later, then had the soup. I was very full at dinner. Have only gotten in one 16 oz glass of water. Should I be starting on this three meals a day thing during the full liquid stage. I was just going to work through this until I get on mushies. Beckyo

Someone help me make a ticker please?:grouphug:

I had 1/2 cup servings about 6X a day through the mushie stage and even beyond. If I didn't, I would get hungry. Don't remember at what point I made the switch to three meals and a snack at night.

There's a ticker tutorial somewhere. I'm trying to find it so I can direct you to it. It has pictures and everything and it walks you through the whole process. I found it easy the last time I searched. Now I'm pulling up nothing. Janet knows where it is. Maybe she'll come back and help! It's tickerfactory.com.

jsja2--

Good luck. I'll be thinking of you. We have a lot in common. I'm only 5 feet tall. I was having the same problems with you --- and also watching people I love die. Good for you. We'll be here for you when you get back.

Hey Sadie! I'm from Colorado too! I was just banded 6/5 by Dr. Snyder at Rose Medical. Maine is one of my most favorite places to visit, enjoy your vacation. Which WW do you go to? I was going to Northglenn and am debating whether to go tomorrow. Haven't been since banding and I'll be down 15+ tomorrow, would get my 20, 25 30 lb stars and my 10% and 25 lb magnet! LOL Kindda tempting but am afraid they'll yell at me for losing too fast. And I'm not sure I want to come clean there or not or if I want to continue going.

Hi Long2bethin-

I'm in Boulder and go to the Boulder WW. Maybe you should wait a bit and start with new start weight with WW. Or go and blow them away! I also go to different meetings during the week especially if I have lost a lot. Stealth attendance at WW!

I haven't told them I was banded. I have heard the members don't treat you so well if they think you are "cheating". I have found weighing in at WW to be the most valuable thing I do other than exercising. It keeps me working and the structure of having to weigh in really helps me pass up that cupcake! I never want a week where I gain. I paid $10,000 for this for goodness sake!

Losing weight with the band is still hard but not AS hard so I feel okay about going to WW. I have to keep to my diet and exercise- I just lose a bit more per week than the average member and much better than I did before the band.

I keep it pretty low key when I go to a meeting. I'm close to my 10% ( I started WW a few weeks after getting the band when I wasn't losing ANYTHING! so I haven't lost as much with them as when I started fasting for my surgery).

Getting to goal is critical to me and I don't want to let up my efforts. WW helps me do that so it's worth the $40 a month to me.

Good luck to you! And welcome to the Band! I love my Band!

Sadie

I have a question - once you have the band and healed can you still sleep on your stomach? That was a question asked to me and I haven't had my surgery yet - waiting for insurance approval, but I thought it was a good question. Also, can you feel the band or port at any time once you are healed?

Thanks - everyone on this site has given me so much information and it's comforting to know that you all are here.

Becky sorry missed that part of your post (ticker help) here is the link that give the instructions on how to get a ticker

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

what a great idea to go to WW and lose too much. I love it. All those times when I signed up and didn't make it past Breakfast without using up my points. I am just at the beginning - informational meeting this week- but I think once I am banded I am going to join WW too.

I had my first really bad day, yesterday. I was home all day, and I guess in a "mood" because I ate around my band all day. And that's all it takes. Just ate around it. I didn't start getting really bad until late afternoon. Maybe if you added it all up, I had 1500-1700 calories instead of the 800-1000 I normally have. But I had soy ice cream, and cheese and crackers, etc. Just ate slowly and spaced it out. Guess I still have work to do. Of course I should have just kept drinking hot liquids, or taken a nap, or popped an Ativan. Instead I gave myself permission to eat. I was down another half pound yesterday- just to see, I got on the scale today and was up a pound. That's go alway in a day or two, but it's the old questions of WHY. I did find out that you sure can eat around the band.

what you gained was water- it is impossible to gain a pound of fat in a day. So don't beat on yourself too much. The crackers and the cheese have sodium and you retained some extra water----nothing more than that. You will do better tomorrow.

Hi Long2bethin-

I'm in Boulder and go to the Boulder WW. Maybe you should wait a bit and start with new start weight with WW. Or go and blow them away! I also go to different meetings during the week especially if I have lost a lot. Stealth attendance at WW!

I haven't told them I was banded. I have heard the members don't treat you so well if they think you are "cheating". I have found weighing in at WW to be the most valuable thing I do other than exercising. It keeps me working and the structure of having to weigh in really helps me pass up that cupcake! I never want a week where I gain. I paid $10,000 for this for goodness sake!

Losing weight with the band is still hard but not AS hard so I feel okay about going to WW. I have to keep to my diet and exercise- I just lose a bit more per week than the average member and much better than I did before the band.

I keep it pretty low key when I go to a meeting. I'm close to my 10% ( I started WW a few weeks after getting the band when I wasn't losing ANYTHING! so I haven't lost as much with them as when I started fasting for my surgery).

Getting to goal is critical to me and I don't want to let up my efforts. WW helps me do that so it's worth the $40 a month to me.

Good luck to you! And welcome to the Band! I love my Band!

Sadie

Well I did go to Weight Watchers today and blew them away with a 14 lb. loss. I got my 10% key chain, my 20, 25, 30 lb stars, and 25 lb charm for the key chain. I like your idea of 'stealth WW'. Though right now the losses have slowed down so maybe they won't freak out after all. I'm not mentioning the band at all if I continue to go. They are almost hostile when it comes to WLS. But I do find their Core plan is pretty close to how I need to eat anyway. I've not lost anything in over a week now and am still on mushies. I'm barely getting in 500 calories a day so I know it's probably my metabolism. I started the exercise back up today and once I get solids (Thurs) I am sure I will get more calories too.

Hi Longtobethin. I was reading the a Weight Watchers Magazine that the organization did not mind people who had WLS going to their meetings. However I would not chance telling them, just in case.

Gotta say, this is funny. I'm retired from AT&T (actually SNET in 96. Do you have a BMI of 40 or over? Mine is 40 and maybe that's why I might not need everything else. Not sure but I will check tomorrow. I do agree that a 6 month diet is good to get me prep'd to get use to my new lifestyle but I really don't want to wait. I'm so impatient! :)

Gottaluvme, yes my BMI was over 40 and still is. Funny you're retired from AT&T, I'll have my 30 years in February, 2009 and I'm hoping to retire from here then. I started here with Southwestern Bell, then named changed to SBC, and now AT&T. I just want to get out before the next contract comes around next year..

Keep us posted on your journey while waiting to be approved.

Long, I'm still on full liquids and at a standstill (ugh!). I know from Fitday.com that my calories are always under 600 (no matter how crazy I get and how many Protein shakes I manage to consume---never more than 3 a day, however). So, slow metabolism seems to be my problem, too.

Nancy

Hi Longtobethin. I was reading the a Weight Watchers Magazine that the organization did not mind people who had WLS going to their meetings. However I would not chance telling them, just in case.

I know I've read that before and also on their website, but just bring it up in a meeting and you get a different reaction. Most in the meetings (and I've read some of the message boards) have a very negative reaction to it, there's always the exception. But I don't plan on bringing it up if I continue, either.

Long, I'm still on full liquids and at a standstill (ugh!). I know from Fitday.com that my calories are always under 600 (no matter how crazy I get and how many Protein shakes I manage to consume---never more than 3 a day, however). So, slow metabolism seems to be my problem, too.

Nancy

I just started adding walking back in to get some exercise going. Hopefully that will help with the metabolism. Heck one day I stepped on the scale and I was up 2 lbs. I knew it had to be Fluid retention or something, there's no way to gain 2 lbs on 500 calories a day! Good luck. When I was on liquids I couldn't wait for mushies, and now I can't wait for solids, just Tues. and Wed. to go!! :blink:

i have had one fill 4cc in my 14cc band, surgery was 3/19/08 and my fill was may 9. still doing pretty good as I am but have days of pure hunger, always wanting o eat, but jsut this weeknd i had 3 episodes of PBing. Not bad ones, but enough to make me run to the bathroom.. so not sure if I need fill. I know I need to watch how fast I eat and my chewing..

I love the ww stories. But I HATE the thing about banding as "cheating". Sounds like jealousy to me. How dare someone think that going through what we've all gone through in surgery and recovery think it's cheating? There are people in WW who want to lose 10, 20, 30 pounds. They have no right to judge. I think anywhere like that should have a seminar so they can understand that the band is another tool for those who are very obese- to save their lives. Didn't anyone ever tell them that aside from the instructors, WW makes its money because people come back again and again and again because 95% of dieters put the weight back on?

SORRY FOR THE RANT! Just kills me though. I love the idea of using ww for weigh-ins, structure, etc. I do. We're still part of the weight watching community. But I'd sure as heck be angry if I heard the cheaters thing. ERRRGH!