Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi, everyone:

I have read all the posts for the past couple of days and it is encouraging to read about the newbies' fills and the exercise programs of the veteran bandsters. We are all at different stages of banding but the experiences share so many commonalities.

I am going through a rough patch but am holding on to my weight loss and exercise regimen. I had another episode last week where my band totally closed off and I had to go for an emergency defill. Of course, I was out of town on business again! But I get immediate relief when they take some fill out. They checked the position of my band and it is okay (whew!) but last time it took me six weeks and two fills to get back to restriction so I'm pretty much getting by on will power right now.

They believe it is stress causing these problems. My Mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer in the past month, my mother-in-law's health got so bad we had to put her into a nursing home a few weeks ago and we are in week four of a major remodel at our house while living here! If that's not enough my usually busy 60 hour a week job has been particularly stressful the past two weeks (part of my job is to conduct investigations into employee misconduct for my Region).

I am pleased to say that I have only turned to food (a pint of Haagen Daz) once the past few weeks. But I guess I'm not fooling my body that I am handling all this stress well. I do think the exercise helps, I've not forgotten prayer and had a couple of good old-fashioned cries! Any other ideas? I am thinking of calling my doctor and asking about some type of anti-anxiety medication. Anyone have any experience that will share? I am not depressed but I am wondering if the anxiety meds might help my body not react by tightening the band so I can get filled again.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and keep posting - your sharing is encouraging to all of us.

Marlena

I would say be careful with medications like Xanex. They are central nervous system depressants and can cause depression.

A lot of doctors will prescribe a medication known as SSRI's for anxiety. I think seeing your doctor is a very good idea.

Marlena

I have been wondering where you have been... Now I know - I am so sorry for all this bad stuff that's going on. First know that I will keep you and your family in my prayers. ((hugs))

As to xanax - I have a gf who has a pretty stressful life and she uses them when thing are just too much to handle - I think with all that you have on your plate right now they may just be what the doctor ordered (pun intended ) Sometimes we need a little medical help to get us thru the rough spots...

Proud of you during this stressful time that you haven't turned to food like we did in the old days - heck even the girls on Sex in the City will have a pint of ice cream - remember the days when it was 1/2 of a 1/2 gallon..

I know I gained like 30 lbs when my parents died - I stayed in my room watched t.v. read books and ate and ate.

Dianne - I felt my 1st fill right away but it only lasted like 2 weeks and then the 2nd fill took a couple of days to feel - 3rd was way too tight (he added 1cc and had to take out .08) that was in January - I still have restriction and am due to go back on the 26th of this month - seriously doubt that I will need a fill. My doc does blind fills - I just drink Water as he fills me. My port has moved - not really the skin has - my scar was right across the middle of my port - but with my weight loss the scar is now moving down below my port. Fills & band - so very fickled.. Some people don't need fills for 6 months after surgery some need every 2 week - some have 6 fills before restriction some 3 - go figure..

Travellegal - Welcome - this is the GREATEST place for info & support.. Looking forward to having you around..

Denise - CONGRATS on losing the weight from your Grandbaby shower I am looking forward to working w/the trainer - it's a guy - he is all muscle (body builder) looks intimidating but is really nice and sweet - I need to get strong in my core, arms and legs - I need to build more muscle so I can burn more calories..

Cindi - I have always said 75% of the work is up to us and the band 25% that being said - it's cuz I think 75% of our weight lost is about what we put in our mouths and our commitment to exercise. For me I am happy with eating 1 cup for Breakfast & lunch - dinner can be 1 to 11/2 cups with a snack later. Mentally I can't handle eating just 1/4 or 1/2 cup of food. It the change in what I eat low fat (I ate pretty high fight before alot of fried foods, butter, cheese) now I can't believe it's butter spray and things are baked or grilled. Exercise is a big key for me too.

Yep we can have an exercise challenge -- I think it might just be a great motivator for us 50+ women especially the newbie - get them going on exercise.. My Lucky #7 (July 07 banders) have 20 days out of the month -- it's on our signatures - so far I have 4 out of the 6 days for March - tomorrow morning will be 5 out of seven..

Ok gang I got some fake Pasta today - read about it in goodhouse keeping - 130 c vs 210 - 18 grms of fiber.... Will have some for dinner and let you know how it is...

I am lucky I can eat rice pasta bread - just very slow - chew and 1/16 of what I use to consume :tea:

Ok the timer is ringing - if I don't put it on while I am on the computer - i will forget I am cooking and burn my dinner up...

TTYL

I have appetite suppessants that I only use occasionally. I have decided I am going to take one next weekend at my daughter's other baby shower.

The first one was just for family. This next one is going to have a lot of food there, because there are so many people invited. She is a nurse, so she knows a lot of people at the hospital plus a lot of family friends.

There will be many Desserts there besides cake. I took one of those when I went to my nephews wedding and it worked like a charm. I have worked very hard this week, and finally broke my plateau, and I don't want to gain anything next weekend.

I have appetite suppessants that I only use occasionally. I have decided I am going to take one next weekend at my daughter's other baby shower.

The first one was just for family. This next one is going to have a lot of food there, because there are so many people invited. She is a nurse, so she knows a lot of people at the hospital plus a lot of family friends.

There will be many desserts there besides cake. I took one of those when I went to my nephews wedding and it worked like a charm. I have worked very hard this week, and finally broke my plateau, and I don't want to gain anything next weekend.

Congrats Denise for breaking that plateau - only 7 lbs to go - That's FANTASTIC - I would take one too - I am lucky haven't been really anywhere where food would be a problem - It's me and liquid calories (alcohol) when I go out - thanfully I don't go out too often...

Report on fake Pasta -

I think I over cooked it - but it was just all right - I think it would be better with spagehitte sauce over it - I had it with can't believe it's butter spray salt & pepper - 1 serving is 130 calories 18 grms Fiber & 7 grms Protein - I ate 1/2 of a serving - I had the plain - but do have whole wheat - garlic - spinach - will have to make some turkey spagh sauce and try it that way and make sure not to over cook it..

Well, from Fake Paste to Fan Tan

I went and got triple dipped today at a local tanning salon -

20 min in a bed that has nonburning rays (ya right) then spray on tan - then 6 mins in stand up tan booth.

Well I do have color - but this is something only our 50+ gang will understand - you do this naked - well guess where my tan marks are - guess - under my boobs - when I lift them it's lighter :thumbup: underneath where they hang - OMW to have grandma boobs - I said something to the girl but she being younger just said well when you put your hands over your head the lamps get under your boobs - well not mine :angry:

What is this fake Pasta? I have heard of low carb pasta, and whole wheat pasta, but not fake pasta!

I am glad I don't ever drink alcohol. It would just be one more thing to worry about.

You are really close too, Janet! I am sure I will go on another plateau and since it took me since Dec. to lose 3 lbs. I specifically told my trainer yesterday that I want plateau breaking exercises. I told him I didn't know why I was so glad to see him, since I knew he was going to kick my butt!

Denise, I am Brookings. Where are you - as I remember you said somewhere on the coast.

Thanks Denise and Janet for your support. Im didn't mean to "air my dirty laundry" but I am soooo Proud of myself for not eating.

Report on fake Pasta -

I think I over cooked it - but it was just all right - I think it would be better with spagehitte sauce over it - I had it with can't believe it's butter spray salt & pepper - 1 serving is 130 calories 18 grms fiber & 7 grms Protein - I ate 1/2 of a serving - I had the plain - but do have whole wheat - garlic - spinach - will have to make some turkey spagh sauce and try it that way and make sure not to over cook it..

Well, from Fake Paste to Fan Tan

I went and got triple dipped today at a local tanning salon -

20 min in a bed that has nonburning rays (ya right) then spray on tan - then 6 mins in stand up tan booth.

Well I do have color - but this is something only our 50+ gang will understand - you do this naked - well guess where my tan marks are - guess - under my boobs - when I lift them it's lighter :smile2: underneath where they hang - OMW to have grandma boobs - I said something to the girl but she being younger just said well when you put your hands over your head the lamps get under your boobs - well not mine :sad:

Your fake tan... too funny!!

7_1_121.gif

We should've gotten together yesterday! DH thawed out a big container of spaghetti sauce leftover from when our kids were here visiting. We had it over french style green Beans yesterday. I've been waiting to hear how that fake pasta tastes! I was tempted to order some, too.

39_10_5.gif

What is this fake Pasta? I have heard of low carb Pasta, and whole wheat pasta, but not fake pasta!

I am glad I don't ever drink alcohol. It would just be one more thing to worry about.

You are really close too, Janet! I am sure I will go on another plateau and since it took me since Dec. to lose 3 lbs. I specifically told my trainer yesterday that I want plateau breaking exercises. I told him I didn't know why I was so glad to see him, since I knew he was going to kick my butt!

Denise

It's called Light Pasta - I read about it in Goodhousekeeping heres the link if any of you are pasta people FiberGourmet: The world's only guilt-free pasta - low calorie, high Fiber. -

Like I said -it was ok plain but a little doughy but I over cooked it and think it would be better with sauce - but I also have some garlic - whole wheat and spinach - I will try them later - I ususally eat rice with my meals and sometimes instant mashed potatoes. I have to have some staches I can't do high Protein 24/7. I don't have much but do have some.

Yep 13 lbs to get to 160 - but who knows I my strive for 150 or 145 - it will depend - and I have given myseld till 5/17 to get to 160 -

I have said this before - what I am afaird of is gaining it back - I don't know how to maintain (yes i do lifetime lifestyle change BUT will I keep this reslove that's the question) - I know that all of us have lost weight before but always put it back on - This will be the proof for me that the band really works - but only time will tell... I think I got this - exercise and eating healthy as long as I continue to do this I will succeed - and I am so fortunate that I have a gym across the street and being single helps so much too as I don't have all the temptations that family presents... There are good things about being single and this is one of them...

Denise, I am Brookings. Where are you - as I remember you said somewhere on the coast.

Thanks Denise and Janet for your support. Im didn't mean to "air my dirty laundry" but I am soooo Proud of myself for not eating.

Mistymoon - There is no dirty laundry - we are here for you - How long have you and dh been married - I didn't get married til I was 40 (had a few live-in during my youth but never got married) and the guy I married has some great qualitiies (in fact we are still friends) but he was too jealous and controling - since I have done it on my own all my life - I just could not live that way. I am truly happy single - I have tons of friends but do miss sometimes having someone to do things with (most of my friends are married but have 1 who is single too and I have known since i was 16).

With this being said - I am not a great one for marriage advice especially if they are treating you poorly - I beleive that we all deserve to be treated with respect and I would rather be single that put up with BS - I hate fighting and drama (xdh loved drama his whole family did there was always someone who was mad at someone)..

I hate to see people hurting and I want everyone to be happy - I am an idealist and look for the good in this world - But am a realist too... What a great combination...

My surgery is the 19th. I thought they didn't put any fill in at the time of the surgery. Wow I'm learning as I go.

Travellegal - I think that the new allergan band comes with a little fill in it. I am not really up on all the tech stuff with the band - in fact until my last fill and unfill I didn't know how much was in my band - I really didn't care and still don't all I care about is that it works - I have posted the question why does everyone care so much about how many cc are in your band as long as it's working - but that's just me. There are people in my doc's office who are 6 months out and never had a fill - I think my doc is agressive with his fills he does them blind (without fluro) I have had 3 and had to have some taken out of the last one - and I am 8 months out - You will read where some people who were banded the same time I was have had 10 fills - there is no rhyme or reason in my book - it's just that the band is diff for everyone...

Your fake tan... too funny!!

7_1_121.gif

We should've gotten together yesterday! DH thawed out a big container of spaghetti sauce leftover from when our kids were here visiting. We had it over french style green Beans yesterday. I've been waiting to hear how that fake Pasta tastes! I was tempted to order some, too.

39_10_5.gif

I am bringing you some so you can try it when we get together next weekend...

I love my fake tan - fat looks so much better with a tan...

Well I do have color - but this is something only our 50+ gang will understand - you do this naked - well guess where my tan marks are - guess - under my boobs - when I lift them it's lighter :smile2: underneath where they hang - OMW to have grandma boobs - I said something to the girl but she being younger just said well when you put your hands over your head the lamps get under your boobs - well not mine :sad:

Janet, you make me laugh. it reminds me of many years ago when my three-year-old daughter was staying with my parents-in-law. She took a bath with Grandma, who was then probably about my age now--58. As they got out of the bathtub my little girl pointed to Grandma's boobs and said, "My Mom has those, but they aren't hanger-downers like yours." So funny. And guess what? Mine are now "hanger-downers," too. Grandma loved telling that story--she died last week at 93. I miss her.

It's been a trying but good year for me. I had hoped for so much more with the band but with all the stressors I had this year (father's cancer diagnosed the day of my banding, selling two houses, being "homeless" for several months, building and decorating and moving into new house, father passing, mother-in-law passing, and traveling to two opposite sides of the country for the births of two high-risk grandsons, etc.) I'm so grateful for my buddy that really helped me not gain weight. I've had to work really hard this year. I thought I finally got to my "sweet spot" last month but I think I need another fill. I went in last week and told them I thought I was doing fine and finally feeling good restriction (13 fills later) so I didn't have a fill but last night at my grandson's birthday party I was able to eat a piece of pizza--crust and all. That doesn't sound like I'm there yet. But I am close! I just have to be!

Good job and congrats on your wonderful losses, fellow Marchies. You are awesome! And Janine, good luck to you on a new part of your journey. I'm so glad you are staying in touch--it just wouldn't be the same without you here! I know I don't post often--I just went back to work full time after, hmmmmm, about 10 years? I'm tired! But I do breeze through the posts every night. Please know you are all inspiring to me! GO MARCHIES 2007!

Janet, you make me laugh. it reminds me of many years ago when my three-year-old daughter was staying with my parents-in-law. She took a bath with Grandma, who was then probably about my age now--58. As they got out of the bathtub my little girl pointed to Grandma's boobs and said, "My Mom has those, but they aren't hanger-downers like yours." So funny. And guess what? Mine are now "hanger-downers," too. Grandma loved telling that story--she died last week at 93. I miss her.

It's been a trying but good year for me. I had hoped for so much more with the band but with all the stressors I had this year (father's cancer diagnosed the day of my banding, selling two houses, being "homeless" for several months, building and decorating and moving into new house, father passing, mother-in-law passing, and traveling to two opposite sides of the country for the births of two high-risk grandsons, etc.) I'm so grateful for my buddy that really helped me not gain weight. I've had to work really hard this year. I thought I finally got to my "sweet spot" last month but I think I need another fill. I went in last week and told them I thought I was doing fine and finally feeling good restriction (13 fills later) so I didn't have a fill but last night at my grandson's birthday party I was able to eat a piece of pizza--crust and all. That doesn't sound like I'm there yet. But I am close! I just have to be!

Good job and congrats on your wonderful losses, fellow Marchies. You are awesome! And Janine, good luck to you on a new part of your journey. I'm so glad you are staying in touch--it just wouldn't be the same without you here! I know I don't post often--I just went back to work full time after, hmmmmm, about 10 years? I'm tired! But I do breeze through the posts every night. Please know you are all inspiring to me! GO MARCHIES 2007!

OMW I am so sorry for all your struggles this past yr ((hugs)) I don't think just cuz you can eat 1 piece of pizza crust and all means that you need more fill - if you could eat 1/2 the pizza I would say yes - I don't want my band to stop me from eating all together - I just want to be able to stop after 1 or 2 pieces of pizza (before could eat a whole medium by my lonesome) 13 fills OMW - I have only had 3 and had to have most of the 3rd taken out - Our bands are funny things - so diff for each of us -

I am so happy that you haven't gained during all the stress you have had that's a great acomplishment.

Well the dryer just dinged - gotta go fold clothes.. TTYL

I am sorry to hear too about how stressful your life has been. Momlambert. I also agree that just because you ate a piece of pizza you aren't at your sweet spot. The sweet spot really doesn't last very long anyway, until most of the fat is gone around the stomach.

I had a whopper jr today and I don't think I need more fill. I am pretty tight and I can still eat bread. Most of the time I just don't eat it. I tore most of the top piece of bread off and threw it out the window to the crows. Soon my car was covered with crows. I was only able to eat half of the whooper jr. Then I went shopping in Walmart and came out and ate the other half.

I don't feel bad about splurging to eat that because I was very good all day long with my eating, and had just spent 3 hours at the gym. My main point is that I know now that I don't need more fill because I can only eat a small portion of food. As long as I chew something until it's liquid in my mouth, I am fine. I am sure I could eat at least most of one piece of pizza, especially if it's crispy and not doughy.