Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

You know what.... if they have another "Bandster Bash" in Seattle next Feb, a bunch of us should try to go. It would be fun. I think they usually have it around "President's Day" on a Fri-Sun. This is the 6th year they've had it and it was at a big hotel by the airport.

That's a great idea Phyl !!!!! Lets do that... now who is going to remember :smile2: well you are from washington - so you will know about it before i do - so when you get the info - lets go,....

Any one from PA?

From what I remember and you understand we are in the over 50 crowd

we have a few in AZ - Canada - Cali - Iowa - I don't remember PA - We will see who replies

Yea, that Seattle bash would be fun. That's usually the time I go to AZ to see my dad though. If I wait too much longer, it's too hot in AZ.

I don't think I am going to have my dad too much longer though. His doctor called me at 7 am this morning. He had to have a chest X ray to get into the assisted living place to make sure he didn't have TB. The doctor said the X ray showed a big change from the one he had last May. Now he has to have a CT scan. He's going to be 89 April 1st and has been a chain smoker since he was 16, so he's done very well for a smoker. He does have COPD and emphysema too though.

It's too bad that Phoenix isn't just a little bit closer to you Janet. I have been to Palm Springs before when my parents had friends that were snow birds. It was a long drive.

Carol, I have never had a fill take 2 weeks to kick in. I have heard of that happening, but for me, I can tell the day after the fill how it's going to be. Sometimes the restriction doesn't last long though. That's because of losing the fat around the stomach. This fill has lasted the longest for me. I got it in Dec. and it's still perfect. I think it's because I am close to goal and I am not losing as much fat around my stomach

anymore.

I don't know how to explain the full feeling. I just feel really full and know if I eat one more bite, I will pb. It feels to me just like feeling full used to feel after thanksgiving dinner. I just feel stuffed. Today I went shopping and the store had a deli. The cabbage rolls looked really good to me. I got two of them. I could only eat one. I had that stuffed feeling. It was probably 3 inches long, so I don't know if that would equal a half a cup or what? not much though, that's for sure. I brought the other one home.

Yea, that Seattle bash would be fun. That's usually the time I go to AZ to see my dad though. If I wait too much longer, it's too hot in AZ.

I don't think I am going to have my dad too much longer though. His doctor called me at 7 am this morning. He had to have a chest X ray to get into the assisted living place to make sure he didn't have TB. The doctor said the X ray showed a big change from the one he had last May. Now he has to have a CT scan. He's going to be 89 April 1st and has been a chain smoker since he was 16, so he's done very well for a smoker. He does have COPD and emphysema too though.

It's too bad that Phoenix isn't just a little bit closer to you Janet. I have been to Palm Springs before when my parents had friends that were snow birds. It was a long drive.

Denise - Sorry about your Dad !!! (hugs) I lost mine 16 yrs ago this june.

I think it's about a 4 or 5 hour drive one way from here to Phoenix and it's a long drive cuz you cross nothing but desert - boring - when I go to my sisters in modesto - I take the 99 cuz you go thru towns - whereas on the 5 it just nothing but flat farm land - no towns etc -

Janet you are so close to goal. Way to go! Maybe this will kick me into gear so I can get this last 10 off. I wish I didn't have such a sweet tooth.

Even if I eat the sugar free stuff in the evenings, the calories add up. I can do fine all day, and in the evenings, all I want to do is eat. I wonder why that is.

Isn't that the truth. I wish I would have found out about the band years ago!

Janet you are so close to goal. Way to go! Maybe this will kick me into gear so I can get this last 10 off. I wish I didn't have such a sweet tooth.

Even if I eat the sugar free stuff in the evenings, the calories add up. I can do fine all day, and in the evenings, all I want to do is eat. I wonder why that is.

Thanks Denise

Last week I didn't lose anythng - (i only weigh in on Thursdays) and figured I had hit my 1st plateau. So I just increased my exercise (walked 18 miles from 2/17 to 2/21).

I have pretty good restriction- infact I don't want to be any tighter than I am right now - cuz i still have to drink slowy - hunger is still there for me when I am at home and work too - the only time I'm not hungry is when I am out and about doing stuff (shoppin:biggrin:)

I got fat on eating too much food (home cooking not fast foods) and being a total slug bug/couch potato - don't get me wrong I love sweets too - brownies & reese Peanut Butter cups anything choc w/nuts.. But really didn't eat them daily - would maybe every 3 months eat a bag of candy or box of brownies or at xmas - half of the Cookies I made.. Plus I ate alot of fried foods - now - I eat 1/2 of a baked fish fillet - instead of 5 whole fried fillettes..:thumbup: or 1 piece of pizza instead of 4 or 5 - taco could eat 6 in one night with tons of cheese.. Now just 3 or 4 oz of meat/fish - 1/2 cup rice and veggies - with can't believe it's not butter spary - I dont' eat half the amount of fat that I use too.. and I am exercising (well flaked out tonite but did clean instead)

My worst time is at night too - we are home alone - get bored need to fill time and want to eat, we are giving ourselves comfort plus we have no one watching us we can eat what we what and however much we want ... No accountablity - As you know if you had a boyfriend over one evening you wouldn't go and eat 2 s/f fudgecicles - heck you wouldn't eat at all:biggrin:.

I used food to medicate myself to sleep - now if I want to take a nap on a weekend - I can't (well most of the time).

I feel 1 million times better - and my way of succeeding is just not to buy the junk - lucky that my grandson who lives with me like foods that I don't care for - chip ahola cookie - don't care for them - hot cheeto so what - now if they were puff cheeto - watch out the bag would be gone..

I am just very lucky that my motabolism isn't totally screwed up - I just know that for the rest of my life I will have to exercise and keep control of my food intake

Yesterday was in a meeting they had Mrs Fields Cookies - I was hungry and wanted one - but figured why start - you are in a size 12 pant with some 10's - if you start eating cookies you will be back in an 18. Infact a gf in the meeting who is always on a diet and never losing ate some - and I just thought to myself - and she wonders why she's not loosing weight - heck the girl next to me ate 3 and we are talking big cookies..

Maybe when I get to goal and can maintain my weight - I might have one - but with me that one turns to 2 - 3 etc you know the story.

Ok - so do you want a challenge??? A friendly wager to motivate you - you have 10 and I have 15 - what do you want to wager who gets there first.

a $20 gift card ???

Disclaimer for NEWBIE - Denise & I know each other and I am just suggesting this as a way to motivate her (not to eat her sweets) and am in no way suggesting that our weight loss with each other is a race - cuz it's not - this is just a freindly wager. And for you newbies - Denise has a super slow metabolism - she does eat right and does exercise but her weight loss has been on the slow side -but she is staying course and working hard...

ok I wrote a book here - so let me know:tongue2:

Hi Janet,

I think I need you to be my weight loss mentor! Until I read your note, it didn't dawn on me that I actually had to be on a diet and count calories. I have now logged onto Fitday and set things up on there for myself. Yesterday I ate roughly 900 calories and today, around 11 calories. I haven't exercised since the day before yesterday (I really do try and exercise at least 5X per week, but this week has been the exception), so the low caloric intake is justified in terms of my trying to balance my physical output with my food input! Normally, I'll walk on the treadmill on the "hill," setting (I have to be careful -- just had knee surgery to repair torn miniscus 6-weeks ago) -- level 5 -- for 45 minutes. The next day, I'll mix it up by riding the stationary bike on either the "weight loss," or the "hill program," for 45-minutes as well. I know how to exercise. I trained for and came in 1st in my category in a triathalon 8-years ago. I am a naturally athletic person and I like to exercise. Motivating myself isn't very hard -- I look forward to working out. I start strength training with a trainer in a few weeks -- I've already made the appointment and put my money down. I'm waiting until I'm 6-weeks out of surgery and I can lift and work with my core.

How do I get a Weight/BMI ticker? I have no idea how to do this!

Warm Regards,

bonnie

Hi Janet,

I think I need you to be my weight loss mentor! Until I read your note, it didn't dawn on me that I actually had to be on a diet and count calories. I have now logged onto Fitday and set things up on there for myself. Yesterday I ate roughly 900 calories and today, around 11 calories. I haven't exercised since the day before yesterday (I really do try and exercise at least 5X per week, but this week has been the exception), so the low caloric intake is justified in terms of my trying to balance my physical output with my food input! Normally, I'll walk on the treadmill on the "hill," setting (I have to be careful -- just had knee surgery to repair torn miniscus 6-weeks ago) -- level 5 -- for 45 minutes. The next day, I'll mix it up by riding the stationary bike on either the "weight loss," or the "hill program," for 45-minutes as well. I know how to exercise. I trained for and came in 1st in my category in a triathalon 8-years ago. I am a naturally athletic person and I like to exercise. Motivating myself isn't very hard -- I look forward to working out. I start strength training with a trainer in a few weeks -- I've already made the appointment and put my money down. I'm waiting until I'm 6-weeks out of surgery and I can lift and work with my core.

How do I get a Weight/BMI ticker? I have no idea how to do this!

Warm Regards,

bonnie

Bonnie

1st the ticker - click on this link - it will tell you how to get a ticker

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

OK first thing I want you to do is take the word DIET out of your vocabulary. (and I hope you ate more that 11 calories today - hope that was suppose to be 1100 ) and your doc didn't give you any kind of eating plan??

We are no longer dieting - what happens when you diet - you get to your goal or it gets too hard - so you quit and go back to eating "Normal" which is what got you fat in the 1st place.

We are eating healthy - we are now eating correct portion sizes - this is a lifetime lifestyle change in your eating habits this is not a diet - diets don't work (I know I am plagiarizing WW don't tell Hilary )

Since you are so athletic (are you suppose to be exercising so hard with the knee repair just 6 weeks ago - my xdh had that and he was off his knee for a long time if my memory serves me correctly - but you know 50+ who knows) then you understand calories in calories out - food is for energy not to comfort our emotions.

60 grms of Protein daily (minimum) 64 oz of Water - veggies & low fat - low sugar - and you can eat starches to with in reason.

Exercise - I no longer HATE it - can't say I love it - but I know I can't live without it .. Necessary evil I guess :thumbup:

We are all here for you Bonnie - this is the best place for support and info..

Well, my dinner is calling = fish 4 oz 28grm pt 150 cal - green Beans 25 c - 1/3 c rice 120 c - :)

Will ck back later

Hi All,

I went for my 3rd fill yesterday-She put in 1 cc and 2 hours later I had to have .5cc taken out. So I have a total of 4 cc. Since Nov. I have been having a hard time - no restriction, no weight loss and struggeling to eat properly. I am giving myself credit for not gaining but I want to get this weight off. Janet and Denise and anyone else who cares to - would you tell me what you eat to get 60 grams of Protein in without using things like slim fast and protein powders? My doc wants me to eat 3 meals a day consisting of 1/2 to 1 cupper meal. Also, no snacking, no drinks or diet bars like slim fast . Between trying to do that and get in 8 glases of Water a day -but not 1 hr before and 2 hours after a meal is driving me crazy. Help.

Nance

You don't have to wait 2 hours to drink Water after a meal! It's one hour. I don't know anyone on here that has to wait 2 hours.

cottage cheese has a lot of Protein in it. I used to hate it but someone told me to mix it with yogurt and I love that now. I eat a lot of fish. I snack on almonds. I have read over and over again that they are healthy for you to raise the good cholesterol. If I eat weight control oatmeal in the morning before I go to the gym, I add Protein Powder to it.

I usually do drink a Protein Shake almost every day. That's 20 grams right there, and I really like them. It's funny how every doctor has different ideas on Protein Drinks. My doctor advises his patients to drink one per day, because our portions are so much smaller, it does get hard to get the protein in.

Janet probably can probably share her food journal. I eat so many of the same things just because it's easier. I live alone and don't have to cook for anyone else. I eat a lot of salad made with spinach leaves and chop up chicken breast into itty bitty pieces and mix it in.

My main thing is exercise. I exercise 6 days a week. I work out with a trainer, do 45 min of cardio on week days and and hour on weekends. I also work out with weights. Building muscle is the best way to speed up your metabolism.

Janet that is so tempting! I will have to think about it. It's scary to me because some times I think I will never be able to lose this last 10 lbs.

You should be proud of me though. My friend that wants the band because she had open heart surgery and has diabetes called me and said she made brownies. I keep telling her that I don't think she could lose weight even with the band because she wouldn't follow the rules.

She is one of those people that thinks the band is the magic cure.

I told her to call me when all the brownies were gone, and then I would come over.