Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Long...certain foods can trigger reflux (especially fatty foods). As long as you're asking for opinions...I would hold off on the fill for a bit. I believe that ANY reflux should set off a red flag. I lived with reflux for 15 years b/4 surgery. I never want it back and it's one of the reasons I have only had two fills. I don't think my doc could even talk me into one. I have stated b/4 that I get hungry every 3 hours, if not sooner after a meal some days. I would rather be on this side of hungry than EVER have reflux again.

You should definitely talk to your doc about this episode. I treat myself to the 100 cal mini popcorn bag each evening. One evening while on vacation, I grabbed DH's butter popcorn by mistake. I didn't get reflux but my guts churned for an entire day. Must have been something with the extra fat in that popcorn. My system is just not used to it anymore.

Hope you don't have anymore episodes. Oregondaisy is the one we should all listen to. She went through the night time reflux issues and is still dealing with getting back her fills. Nothing to mess with.

PJ - I wonder if you are getting enough Protein in the morning? Slim-Fast is liquid and goes right through, doing nothing to keep you full. Many of the Smart Ones are really more of a mushie food, and also will not keep you full. I don't know what the Protein content of Slim-Fast is, and it varies with the Smart Ones, but if they are going right through you won't feel full very long, if at all. Try having a more solid protein - about 3 oz of it - at each meal. That will take a while to work through the pouch to the stomach and you should feel more satisfied. I find that if I don't have enough protein in the morning I will be wanting to graze all day, even tho I am having plenty of protein at lunch and dinner. Those days drive me crazy. Try low fat deli meats, eggs (scrambled or hard boiled), low fat cheese, etc.

Just my 2 cents - and as we move to hyper-inflation levels it will be worth even less....

Thanks Joann. The Low Carb Slim Fast has 20 grams of Protein. I don't have one every morning. I leave the house at 7:30 for work, not allowed to eat at my desk, so I sometimes sip on one if I don't have time to eat Cereal or oatmeal. I should get up earlier to do some walking tape and make an egg and turkey bacon. Will try that. Smart Ones are so convenient to grab and run out the door. My lunch is at 11, take a break at 2:30 and usually have some 100 cal popcorn, Protein Bar, or yogurt. When I get home at 5 I'm very hungry. That is when my trouble begins.

Hello All-This is my first post-I am a male-Age 71--I started at 300 lbs-Had the banding done in Huntsville Alabama-Sept 2007;I have lost 120 pounds-Present weight 180.The main problem I am having happens when I sleep-or lie down.I like to take an afternoon nap-after lunch.And nothing passes thru my band when I am lying down-which makes me feel like upchucking-also over a period of time-as I swallow soliva- it fills up-and cuts off my breathing-Making a rush to the bathroon immediately necessary.Please dont tell me that I am the only one having this problem..Thanks Smitty..

les46932@hotmail.com

Long...certain foods can trigger reflux (especially fatty foods). As long as you're asking for opinions...I would hold off on the fill for a bit. I believe that ANY reflux should set off a red flag. I lived with reflux for 15 years b/4 surgery. I never want it back and it's one of the reasons I have only had two fills. I don't think my doc could even talk me into one. I have stated b/4 that I get hungry every 3 hours, if not sooner after a meal some days. I would rather be on this side of hungry than EVER have reflux again.

You should definitely talk to your doc about this episode. I treat myself to the 100 cal mini popcorn bag each evening. One evening while on vacation, I grabbed DH's butter popcorn by mistake. I didn't get reflux but my guts churned for an entire day. Must have been something with the extra fat in that popcorn. My system is just not used to it anymore.

Hope you don't have anymore episodes. Oregondaisy is the one we should all listen to. She went through the night time reflux issues and is still dealing with getting back her fills. Nothing to mess with.

So are you saying that that sensation is reflux? Just not sure what reflux is or feels like. I did have lots of butter on that popcorn. Dh got a little trigger happy with the butter dispenser.

Hello All-This is my first post-I am a male-Age 71--I started at 300 lbs-Had the banding done in Huntsville Alabama-Sept 2007;I have lost 120 pounds-Present weight 180.The main problem I am having happens when I sleep-or lie down.I like to take an afternoon nap-after lunch.And nothing passes thru my band when I am lying down-which makes me feel like upchucking-also over a period of time-as I swallow soliva- it fills up-and cuts off my breathing-Making a rush to the bathroon immediately necessary.Please dont tell me that I am the only one having this problem..Thanks Smitty..

les46932@hotmail.com

First, welcome! I've heard it isn't good to lie down too soon after eating. I've also heard that if you lie on your right side, it facilitates the emptying of your stomach. I can't do that, because it makes my hip hurt, so I haven't tried it. Also, can you find a way to elevate the head of your bed a bit? That might help, too. I recently heard there is an inflatable device you can buy to put under your mattress, that can blow up and elevate your head. I believe it ran about $150, but I don't remember the name of it. I have a Craftmatic adjustable bed that I just love, and I ramp it up if I drink Water at night, so it won't back up on me.

Finally, this would be a good thing to discuss with your doctor, just to make sire everything is okay.

Best of luck to you,

Orea

Wow, you guys have posted a lot! Unfortunately I've gotten involved with the Facebook site which has kept me from coming to this site.

Long, yes you are experiencing reflux. What you're having sounds fairly mild. I started about a month ago with some reflux which I've never had in my entire life. Finally realized it was my pills that were not sitting well in my baby tummy. So, now I take my pills with activia yogurt or I take them during the daytime when I know I'll be in an upright position. Orea is right, try elevating your head either with pillows or you could even put the head of your bed's legs on blocks to elevate your upper body.

Phyll, where do you get all of your visuals? I love the one that is mooning. You are too cute. Joann, however, loves my butt, right Jo? Just kidding you guys. I love reading the posts and because you are all so well versed and have such good insite and advice, I don't usually have to post anything.

Katy: I know the things your surgeon has told you is scarey, but know that they have to tell you everything that could happen and yes I am sure you are high risk, but know that God will be in the OR with you and guiding the surgeon. I'm holding you up in prayer and know that on the day of your surgery, I will be praying for you non=stop, if i can figure out the time difference between here and there.

Love you all,

Susan

Welcome Smitty - congrats on your weight loss

Definitely an issue if you lay down too soon after eating..

I find the "sliming" issues hits me if I don't think and try to recline. All in the timing of eating and relaxing I guess.

Hi Gang. Hope everyone is well today. I'm soooo excited this morning. I lost another lb....2 more til ONDERLAND. Plus...yesterday my son and DIL surprised me with George Strait tickets June 6th at the new Dallas Cowboy Stadium. ( mothers day gift early ) Hope to get at least 15 lbs off by then, told son I was going to Cavenders and buy me some Cinch Jeans .... lol

Have a great day!

Joann...this morning I had 1 sausage link ( the little ones ) and 1 egg ( 4 hrs ago ) Getting hungry now, think I will go eat a Tangarine.

Hi Livin4Jesus,

Could you please explain to me how you put your before and after pictures on your posts please?

Best wishes.

Smitty this is not a good thing. You need to talk to your doctor about this.

I'm soooo excited this morning. I lost another lb....2 more til ONDERLAND.

That is great! I will congratulate you early!:party:

Slow and steady wins the race!! Another .8 lbs for a total of 94.6 lbs!!!

Awesome! :hurray:

What an encouraging site! So glad to have found others in this stage of our journey! I live in Central Texas, am 59 years old, the mother of 4 adult children and their spouses and the very proud grandma of 19 wonderful grandchildren.

I was banded in Monterrey, Mexico, by Dr. Zapata, on 12/2/08. I'm very new to all of this still. I've lost 20 pounds, mostly in the first 4 weeks; and, despite 2 fills, have remained mostly unrestricted since the middle of January. Guess that qualifies me for "lap band hell". I'm scheduled for my 3rd fill on 3/11/09.

What scares me is that my weight is constantly trying to go up; I lose the same 3 pounds over and over and don't progress beyond that. I was feeling incredibly guilty that I hadn't dropped more weight until I started reading this forum. I finally realized that without restriction, I'm still right where I was before the surgery. I just need some folks to get real with, who understand my struggles with food, and can encourage me to reach my goal. Hopefully, I will be able to offer others support as well.

Anne