Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi Cheryl, I am doing well. It is amazing that I can eat a little and get full. LOL The weight is slow but that is ok with me. I had a very small salad the Friday night and I been having a pain under my left rib cage. I keep hoping that it will go away. I get worried because about 3 year ago I had diverticulitis (sp?) and was hospitalized for 5 days. It seems like the same pain. Other than that... all is well! LOL How are you doing? Have you had a fill yet?

I invested in a CPAP machine that senses how I am breathing and adjusts itself to the lowest necessary pressure to keep me breathing properly. I figured either I'd have to suffer through regular sleep studies as I reduced or shell out for the machine and have the exact right pressure every darn night. It also has a flex feature that senses when I am about to exhale and reduces the pressure so I don't have to push against it. I went to Ebay and purchased the cliinician's instructions so I can go in and monitor what's going on. My original prescription (done a year ago) was for a setting of 16, now it is down to 13-13.5 with only two apnea hypopnea episodes per hour. Without the machine, I had 127 episodes in an hour! I'm pretty darn pleased. I love my machine, and never want to sleep without it. I even have it on battery backup in case of a power outage.

Did you buy the machine on eBay, too?? If not, where did you find it? That sounds perfect!

I am being banded on tues

a doctor here had a band in Nov and now she is dead

she died of a massive infection

she was 38 and has twins that just turned 2

she was on vacation in colorado and thought she had altitude sickness and she died in her sleep

on Nov 24

her husband, an attorney, said she second guessed herself, being a doctor, and did not go to a doctor

so-

this doctor was banded in my town maybe by the same doctor I am being banded by

this worries me

I thought no one has ever died from anything to do with the band

please tell me what you think

I am also a dialysis patient and see a doctor every Monday at dialysis

and I have blood work done

and temps and things

should I feel safer

would this worry you

I am afraid

but need to lose weight to get on a kidney transplant list the problem is not so much as losing the weight

as I can not trust myself to lose it and keep it off

please help thanks

That is a pretty scary story!! Have only heard of one other death from band surgery and don't remember the details, but seems to me it as about a year after this person's surgery and there was some sort of a complication that could or could not be attributed to the band. Massive infection would probably be the result of just being in the hospital. Doctors & nurses make the worse patients, they always say. She should've known to go see someone! Diagnosing yourself never a good plan!

Janet and I had a very nice visit with Kathy (Boos) at her hotel today. No serial killers in the bunch! :biggrin::biggrin::tt1:

The machine is Respironics REMstar M Series AUTO CPAP with A-Flex, SmartCard and Humidifier.

I researched machines at cpap.com among other places, but found a superior price at DirectHomeMedical.com. You can't just buy a machine, you have to send them a copy of your prescription. My prescription was for a single setting, so they were supposed to set it to that, but they agreed to leave it at the factory settings. Which is where getting the clinician's instructions from Ebay came in. I had just left Kaiser Permanente early last year, and didn't want to try to contact a new sleep doctor, as the closest one under my new plan was a good drive away. I figured I was responsible enough and smart enught to change my settings myself in a responsible way, and I did.

My other recommendation is the Breeze mask with masal pillows by Puritan Bennett. Sometimes I wake up and have to feel if it is still on, it is so comfortable.

Edited by orea15

I am being banded on tues

a doctor here had a band in Nov and now she is dead

she died of a massive infection

she was 38 and has twins that just turned 2

she was on vacation in colorado and thought she had altitude sickness and she died in her sleep

on Nov 24

her husband, an attorney, said she second guessed herself, being a doctor, and did not go to a doctor

so-

this doctor was banded in my town maybe by the same doctor I am being banded by

this worries me

I thought no one has ever died from anything to do with the band

please tell me what you think

I am also a dialysis patient and see a doctor every Monday at dialysis

and I have blood work done

and temps and things

should I feel safer

would this worry you

I am afraid

but need to lose weight to get on a kidney transplant list the problem is not so much as losing the weight

as I can not trust myself to lose it and keep it off

please help thanks

Twirl, I have not heard of anyone dying. I wonder when she was banded and if she went of vacation too soon, also physicians make the worst patients. It is very scary. But you also have very scary choices. Good luck. Dot

Death is an extremely rare occurrence with the band. The odds are very much on your side, particularly since you now know to be cautious should you feel anything out of the ordinary.

It is much more dangerous for us to remain morbidly obese.

Yes, it s scary and I think we all felt that way as surgery approached. But it really is much easier than I thought it would be. (I never had surgery of any kind before.)

Who knew sugar free hot chocolate could taste so decadent!

This is one kick ass Christmas gift I gave myself! I love my band....I'm only 5 days out but it's great so far! :scared2:

I am so glad you are doing so well Sooverit.... Yep each day gets better and moving to each food phase is even better...

I could take a hot tub once a day, for my health! Fun!

Haven't been tested, but I take B-12 drops, a Calcium chew, and a Flinstones multi most days. The B-12 has replaced the afternoon coffee.< /p>

Anyone come off a C-Pap? I want to ditch that thing, not sure if I've lost enough weight yet.

2gooddogs - I hated my cpap - I never really stopped breathing but my breathing got really shallow while I was in a deep sleep - mine was on the low setting like 8 I think - I ditched my after surgery - I think they just said that I needed it for the sake of getting approve for surgery easier... I am a bit of a cynic (sp) at times about doctors..

Flowers,

I went to the surgeons office last Thursday. I had gained 3 lbs not as bad as I had thought but still gained. He added another 1.5 cc which makes me a total of 3 in a 14 cc band. I am trying very hard. I have not attempted bread anymore but I am eating crackers. I have had a virus all weekend so I drink gatorade and eating chicken noodle Soup and crackers. If you have any helpful hints or meals I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Cheryl - Sorry about your stuggles and being sick - Stay away from the crackers and gatorade - they have too many calories - don't they make a lite gatorade - I don't like the stuff so I'm not sure - try the diet crangrape juice - it has only 5 calories - and the canned Soups are full of sodium - so make your own - chicken breast - onion - carrots - celery - garlic - low sodium broth - a couple red potatoes - cabbage - and you have soup...

If you need food ideas check out the food thread and I am attaching my sample menu of how I eat..

Hi Cheryl, I am doing well. It is amazing that I can eat a little and get full. LOL The weight is slow but that is ok with me. I had a very small salad the Friday night and I been having a pain under my left rib cage. I keep hoping that it will go away. I get worried because about 3 year ago I had diverticulitis (sp?) and was hospitalized for 5 days. It seems like the same pain. Other than that... all is well! LOL How are you doing? Have you had a fill yet?

NaniRose - Glad you are doing well, we (Phyl - Boos (kathy from Vermont & I had brunch today) were talking about how the newly banded sometime think that their weight lost is going to be as fast as bypass pple - but it's not - we do absorb our calorie where bypass pple don't - heck I was always happy with 1/2 lbs loss - a loss is a loss and I know that we think it should be just falling off like 10 lbs a week since we are eating so much less than we did before - but it just doesn't work that way - the turtle won the race...

Did you buy the machine on eBay, too?? If not, where did you find it? That sounds perfect!

That is a pretty scary story!! Have only heard of one other death from band surgery and don't remember the details, but seems to me it as about a year after this person's surgery and there was some sort of a complication that could or could not be attributed to the band. Massive infection would probably be the result of just being in the hospital. Doctors & nurses make the worse patients, they always say. She should've known to go see someone! Diagnosing yourself never a good plan!

Janet and I had a very nice visit with Kathy (Boos) at her hotel today. No serial killers in the bunch! :laugh:

:lol::tt1:

Yep - Had a nice visit with Boos & Phyl today... It's wonderful to be able to meet in person the pple we meet here online..

Ya Phyl I guess we are lucky so far no serial killers in the bunch :biggrin:

Twril

I am surprised that you are being banded if you are on dialysis.. But again I'm not a licensed doctor -:biggrin:

There are complications in everything - Life is a crap shoot sometimes - you have to put your faith in God or your higher power and go from there. You are already on dialysis and say that you won't be put on a list for transplant without losing weight... So you need to do what you need to do to get on that list...

Remember the band is only a tool - it's not magic - it takes work - you will have to make your food choices and exercise.. This really has to be a lifetime lifestyle change in your eating..

Best wishes for a safe surgery & speedy recovery...

Katy...I am really surprised that your doc unfilled you for your hernia surgery. I know there is not a bariatric surgeon out there that thinks like another on most things...I had hernia repair two months ago and doc did not unfill. In fact, had my fill two days b/4 surgery. I had over ten hernias and adhesions to repair. My point is that there is such a variation between docs.

I hope your gurd or whatever is going on with you does not continue to give you problems.

Hi Apples 2,

Just got your message. My goodness, did you have the ten hernias fixed at the same time? Were you opened up? I really don't understand what's going on with me. I still have terrible gas and reflux too plus I've started vomiting again at night. If I drink anything but Water, I'm instantly feeling blocked and start burping loudly. Not nice at all. Also the port site is really painful and hurts when I roll over at night. My surgeon is going away for Xmas as always so I made an appt today to see him before he goes as he doesn't have a back up surgeon to cover for him.

I hope your hernias are all behaving themselves and you're feeling well now.

Best wishes.

Dear Twirl,

You asked a lot of questions - and for some of them, only you can answer - For me, needing dialysis and weight loss to get a transplant would be a huge motivator!

"No one has ever died from anything to do with the band" Well - we all wish that was true, but, there is ALWAYS risk in everything we do! Even getting up in the morning. The challange is to balance the risks with the benefits.

Yes, people have died getting every surgical procedure known to man. Now, the risk of laproscopic band surgery is certainly less than many other kinds of surgery - 0.05% is the mortality (death) rate that I'm aware of for gastric band with my surgeon - but that doesn't mean it won't happen to you, or me, or the doctor friend.

Anytime you break the skin, or do anything invasive, you risk an infection. AS long as there are bacteria in the world, you are at risk.

Before you undergo the procedure, I recommend LONG TALKS with your nephrologist, your surgeon, your primary care physician. YOu need to be sure you are weighing the risks against the benefits for YOU. Sounds like you aren't sure this is what you want to do! Often, the story you hear passed through the grapevine can turn out to be only a half-truth, etc. You need to know what's best for you.

Best wishes!

Edited by Lizalee

Hi Apples 2,

Just got your message. My goodness, did you have the ten hernias fixed at the same time? Were you opened up? I really don't understand what's going on with me. I still have terrible gas and reflux too plus I've started vomiting again at night. If I drink anything but Water, I'm instantly feeling blocked and start burping loudly. Not nice at all. Also the port site is really painful and hurts when I roll over at night. My surgeon is going away for Xmas as always so I made an appt today to see him before he goes as he doesn't have a back up surgeon to cover for him.

I hope your hernias are all behaving themselves and you're feeling well now.

Best wishes.

Yep, all were fixed at the same time and I was home 2 hours after coming out of recovery. It was actually a pretty easy surgery and worst part was having to be careful not lifting, stretching or pulling. There have been no after affects from the surgery and am happy it is behind me. I have had other hernia and adhesions surgeries (3). Just in the genes, I guess.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like your reflux is worse. Hope you can get a handle on it. Not a good thing to have happen. See if you can get this worked out with your doc. I have been so lucky. Have never PB'd or slimed. I am on this side of hungry when it comes to being filled. I have had two fills in a 14cc band. I get hungry every 3-4 hours and that is fine with me. My biggest fear is the next fill would put over the edge and start causing problems. Good luck with your dr. visit!

Twirl, I agree with LizaLee. Please talk with the medical people involved with your health care about the gastric band risks and benefits for YOU in order for you to have confidence in your decision. I will pray for your healthy recovery.

Hey JoAnne....feeling a little more back to normal today? Every day gets a little better. I was lucky to not have any incision or port pain but I did get the horrible gas pain in the shoulder for about a month. No fun. Hang in there. By the end of the week you should feel pretty good.

Hi,

I just joined.

I have my first appointment with the doctor next week. IM 57 and have been overweight all of my life. I have done every diet imaginable and currently am a member of WW. I lose, I gain, I lose, I gain... you get the picture. I know I need help and am looking at the LB as my next option. Both GB and LB are covered under my insurance but I am leaning towards the LB.

I walk one hour atleast 5 times a week. IM hoping this will help with the weight loss.

I wish I could have this done tomorrow.

I appreciate all the posts and advice.

:biggrin: