Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Say No To Carbs 2 Day Challenge...come Join Me

I tried Atkins with some "temporary" success 5 or 6 years ago. Refresh my memory though what does the induction phase involve?

Last week the idea of a 2-week committment would have been too daunting but after this weeks efforts I might be interested. Tell me more.

Here are the rules for the induction phase.

Depending on how much weight you need to lose, the induction phase lasts for a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of one year. You can generally expect to lose 10% of your excess weight during the first 14 days of induction. Atkins enthusiasts recommend that you follow Induction until you have lost half of the weight you need to lose, and then go on to complete the Ongoing Weight Loss portion of the diet. The rules of induction are simple, and must be followed exactly. With induction, even "just ONE little bite" of something not on the induction list will doom you to failure. With all of the fabulous, no-carb goodies available, there’s no need to cheat!

The Rules of Atkins Induction :

Have three meals a day or up to six mini-meals, depending on how you feel. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating.

Eat liberally of combinations of fat and Protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, Mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).

Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three loosely packed cups of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see Acceptable Foods).

Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, Pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine Protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney Beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time.

Eat nothing that isn't on the Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.

Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements.

Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate—instead, read labels. Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a carbohydrate gram counter.

Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in Salad Dressing. Xanthin gum, from your health food store, thickens gravy perfectly without carbs.

Avoid foods or drinks sweetened with aspartame. Instead, use sucralose (Splenda) or saccharin. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs.

Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar.

Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of Water each day to hydrate your body, avoid Constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.

If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of Water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables.

At a minimum, take a good daily Multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and Calcium, but without Iron.

What to Expect In Atkins Induction Phase

For the first few days of induction, you will be withdrawing from sugar and caffeine. It will take 3 to 7 days for these substances to leave your system. During this time, you may find that withdrawal from these substances causes you to have headaches, diarrhoea, nausea, "brain fog" (be careful driving), and muscle cramps. This is commonly referred to as "induction flu." If you suffer from these symptoms take heart- they are very temporary. Soon, you will wake up with more energy than you’ve had in years, your moods will stabilize, and your hunger will disappear!

Let me know what you think.

Amy

I don't think I could do that right now! The 2 days of shakes about killed me. I think thats the reason that 'diets' never worked for me... I need more!

Hmmm... I may still be interested though the whole say no to nuts bit would be hard for me. I'm going to be out of town for the next two weekends so I may want to mull it over and think about starting it Monday the 28th which would give me just enough time to finish up before Valentines.

If we do this though we really ought to start a new thread for it. And leave this thread for any newcomers that might want to start another 2-day challenge.

I have done Atkins off an on all of my life. I finally came to the conclusion that it's just not healthy. I eat a high Fiber Cereal in the morning before I work out. I have tried to work out with just Protein for Breakfast and I get nauseous and dizzy.

so, for the most part, I don't eat carbs the rest of the day. Sometimes, I do eat fruit. I will eat half an apple or prunes for the bathroom problems. I do put ground flaxseed on my Cereal and the psyllium husks.

My doctor from the very beginning told me to eat 75% Protein and 25% fruits and vegetables. I do that other than my cereal in the morning. I don't eat very much cereal, because I am pretty tight. I would say it's 1/2 cup.

Grrrr... Why did you have to mention cereal. Here I was all comfy cosy in front of the computer thinking I'd make it to bed without an evening snack. Then you go and mention high Fiber cereals. Now I'm obsessing over eating some yoghurt with some Muslix mixed in.

It wasn't really on my agenda today but neither was going the whole day with nothing but one slimfast, one Protein pudding and one 1/4 cup cashews. I had planned on having a salad for dinner but NoOoO my DH had to use the entire 1/2 full bottle to marinate some chicken he and DS ate last night while I was at Physical Therapy.

Go ahead and eat the yogurt with Muslex in it. That's healthy. Have you ever seen Bob Greene that is on Oprah that has "The best life" diet?

He has his little best live slogan on all the foods he approves. He was on Oprah again a couple days ago. He is on her website. He has a very healthy way of eating and losing weight with his suggestions.

He does say not to eat 2 hours before bedtime though. I want to get his book.

I started a new thread for the Atkins induction so that yall can still use this thread for the 2 day challenge. This challenge really helped me to get going again. I will start Atkins induction tommorow. here is the link to the new thread!! You know, it really doesn't matter what method we use as long as we continue to move forward toward our goals to have slimmer more healthy bodies. So, if you want to do Atkins here is the link.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/starting-atkins-induction-diet-anyone-want-join-me-50036/

MAKE IT A GREAT WEEK!!!!!

I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I am going to do the shake challenge again. I've been having a really hard time with the cravings lately, so I need a detox. I'm starting today if anyone wants to join me.

I'll have to eat tomorrow night because some friends of ours invited us over for chili, and I think it would be rude not to eat. So, I will do shakes and Water today and tomorrow and have a small bowl of chili tomorrow night, then it's back to shakes.

Anyone want to join me?