Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone decided to have the lap band after a prior traumatic surgery?

I had epidural failure when I had my daughter by cesarean a couple years ago, and I felt some of the cutting before the anesthesiologist sedated me. I ended up with some PTSD symptoms (flashbacks, obsession and depression) and at that time I swore I would never have another surgery unless my life (or my baby's if I were to have another) depended on it.

At this point, I am heavier than I ever have been and could easily be 400 pounds within a few years if I don't get a handle on things. I have prayed about it and worried about it and now come to some peace about the decision, and I am going to the initial seminar in a little over a week.

Has anyone decided to do the lap band after a traumatic prior surgery? Did you have a better experience with this surgery? Do you feel your medical team did a good job of helping you through any fears you might have had?

Thanks all for ideas and support. This is a great board. :eek:

I had epidural failure when I had my daughter by cesarean a couple years ago, and I felt some of the cutting before the anesthesiologist sedated me. I ended up with some PTSD symptoms (flashbacks, obsession and depression) and at that time I swore I would never have another surgery unless my life (or my baby's if I were to have another) depended on it.

At this point, I am heavier than I ever have been and could easily be 400 pounds within a few years if I don't get a handle on things. I have prayed about it and worried about it and now come to some peace about the decision, and I am going to the initial seminar in a little over a week.

Has anyone decided to do the lap band after a traumatic prior surgery? Did you have a better experience with this surgery? Do you feel your medical team did a good job of helping you through any fears you might have had?

Thanks all for ideas and support. This is a great board. :eek:

Rainday - the only surgery I ever had was gallbadder surgery 20 days before I turned 30 - it wasnt traumatic - scary cuz it was my 1st and only surgery before my lapband

Your prior surgery was diff than this one - they put you asleep prior to any cutting you aren't awake. with a ceasrean - don't they just numb you from the waist down - with this surgery they put to totally asleep

Talk to your doc they should calm your fears....

My best to you on this journey.

Yes I had a lump removee from my breast and woke up

during the prcedure...YIKES but make sure you tell the dr that and tell them to make sure you go under fully...I had the surgery and all went well...Good Luck

HI there,

I am so very sorry you had to endure that terrifying ordeal.

There is a difference between the meds used in a cesarean and those used in general surgery. From what I understand, in a cesarean, if it is general anesthetic (which is rare), they have to put you under for as little times as possible, as the anesthetic is very harmful to the baby. That might be how you woke up early.

With a regular cesarean they do the epidural and give you (I think) a twilight sleep.... from what I have heard it is normal to feel intense tugging while the baby is being pulled out. Is that what you felt? Apparently they can't numb that pain.

With this lapband surgery it is different and I think the risks are very low as there is no rush to wake you up.

I would definitely talk to your anesthesiologist (spelling?)

Good luck and hugs to you.

Congrats on being down 11 pounds. I had just changed my signature right before I saw Yours.I'm also down 11 but my date was 12/16. Go Girl. I've seen your posts and your experiences have been pretty similar.Let's both keep up the good work!!!

Sorry to go off subject. I hit the wrong button.

The question about the prior surgery trauma is a good one to ask at any consultation you may go too.

Mary, so glad to hear your lap band went better than your other bad surgery!

HI there,

I am so very sorry you had to endure that terrifying ordeal.

There is a difference between the meds used in a cesarean and those used in general surgery. From what I understand, in a cesarean, if it is general anesthetic (which is rare), they have to put you under for as little times as possible, as the anesthetic is very harmful to the baby. That might be how you woke up early.

With a regular cesarean they do the epidural and give you (I think) a twilight sleep.... from what I have heard it is normal to feel intense tugging while the baby is being pulled out. Is that what you felt? Apparently they can't numb that pain.

With this lapband surgery it is different and I think the risks are very low as there is no rush to wake you up.

I would definitely talk to your anesthesiologist (spelling?)

Good luck and hugs to you.

As a heavy person, I'm afraid of anesthesia in general but the person who does it for WLS will be used to people of larger size, I have to tell myself that, right?

What I felt in my cesarean was cutting and I didn't have twilight sleep so I actually felt a scalpel cutting into my peritoneum! Augh! It was a lot worse than tugging. It was what they call a "window." At any rate, I will definitely ask if I can consult with the anesthesiologist. I am sure the way I reacted to an epidural is not necessarily indicative of how general anesthesia will be, but I'm just afraid of the idea of surgery in general.

Congrats all on your progress!

I'm sorry you had such a frightening and traumatizing experience with your C section, RainyDay. I would agree that you should talk to your anesthesia provider prior to your surgery. You WILL meet them (either anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist, makes no difference which one) as they have to meet with you to do a pre op assessment before you go in the operating room. It might be a day before your surgery or it might be just 20 minutes before. But make sure to let them know that you had this traumatic experience and that you have a lot of anxiety about the anesthesia...they are usually very compassionate about this sort of thing and will make sure you are comfortable with everything before you go under. This surgery is almost ALWAYS performed under general anesthesia, meaning you are unconscious before anything happens, and you wake up after everything is done. This will be a very different experience than your section, which sounds like it might have been sort of an emergency after your epidural failed? At any rate, be sure you are comfortable with your anesthesia provider and their plan for your anesthesia so you can rest easy.

Hopefully this experience will ease some of your fears if you should ever need surgery in the future. I'm sure everything will go perfectly for you. Best of luck!

Oh yeah, your other question about being familiar with larger patients...definitely, all the people on your surgical team will be used to larger patients, and you will NOT be the biggest patient they've had, by FAR. Nowadays, most surgical teams are getting more and more used to obese patients, not just because of WLS but because more people in our general population are obese and have medical problems. But bariatric surgeons are generally well established at the hospital where they do their surgeries, and usually work with the same group of people all the time in the OR, the same anesthesia providers, nurses, surgical techs, etc. So EVERYONE there will be used to larger patients, and it sounds like you won't be anywhere near their largest.

Also, the surgeons usually make sure that their patients will not be made to feel embarassed or badly by any negative treatment at the hospitals they work at, because we are their bread and butter and we talk to each other. So everyone you work with during your hospital stay should be compassionate and make you feel comfortable--I know a lot of us have had negative experiences with people because of our weight, even in health care, so I think this is very important when we make this big step to take back our health, that we are made to feel comfortable and not like anyone doesn't want to care for us because we are obese. I guess that wasn't really your question but I got on that soapbox anyway!:focus:

I hope this answers some of your questions and eases your fears. This is a big step for all of us, but especially when you have a past experience that was traumatic for you. I wish you the best. You will do great! :)

Gwen, let me just say you are already a phenomenal nurse anesthetist. You calmed me down right through the Internet! :)

My cesarean was unplanned and unwanted and I'd had an epidural in for a few hours when I had it. The epidural really seemed like it "took" and they boosted it up a lot, but after the initial incision, I felt everything for a couple minutes. I'm over the creepy-crawlies and inability to relax in medical environments (I can even watch surgery shows) but I do fear that once I get back in an OR I'll have that panicky helpless feeling again. It's good to know I'll meet with the anesthesia crew beforehand as well. As rotten as my cesarean was, the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist were very reassuring and calming (it was my OB's total lack of concern about it that really helped plunge me into the abyss.) I am feeling better about it and I'll ask questions at my upcoming seminar as well.

Congrats on your loss! Fantastic.

That's very sweet of you, RainyDay, thanks! Good luck, ask lots of questions, and be sure to let us know how everything goes!

Rainy Day, I had an epidural 11 years ago with the birth of my daughter. By the time she was born (naturally) the epidural had worn off and they were doing my episiotomy and I could feel the pain of being stitched. I just had my lap band 10 days ago and did not have any problem with the anesthesia. But discuss your fears with the doctor. Good luck.