Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get to stop using acid reflux meds (Nexium,Protonix) post-op?

I have been on Nexium for about 3 years for acid reflux. My doctor said usually the band clears up acid reflux (although sometimes it makes it worse..you never know). Wondering what people with acid reflux have experienced after the lap-band surgery. Was anyone able to get relief from acid reflux after getting banded? Did you stop your meds to see what would happen? Anyone get worse? Stay the same?

I was banded on 12/21 and haven't taken any of my meds since including Zantac. My father even noticed that I haven't cleared my throat at all which I used to do all the time - I guess from the acides/juices in my stomach. I even had liquified/strained homeade Tomato sauce yesterday for dinner and didn't feel a thing - that would have put me over the edge before.

I was banded on December 14/07 and have not taken my meds since. I have no more heartburn, even after drinking diet cranberry cocktail, which used to surely bring the molten lava of my gut up into my throat...it's really weird but I'm happy to be free of those pills!

I was always having acid reflux and my friends used to tease me that drinking Water would give me heartburn!! I am thrilled to say that I have not had 1 episode of heartburn since surgery. And I have tried the things that bothered me before, just to see.

Good luck.

I had acid reflux before surgery and I had a hiatal hernia. The hernia was repaired at the time the band was placed and was told I would not have any more reflux and so far I don't.

I had horrible acid reflux and prior to banding was taking Nexium daily, as well as 5 Zantac! My surgeon tried to talk me into the bypass because he said sometimes the band makes acid reflux worse--but I didn't want that invasive a surgery!

Honestly, I have not had even one incident of any disruption--even when I've had small portions of Tomato products or chocolate, which were triggers previously! NOT ONE!

PTL for my band!!! :)

I was banded Aug. 15 and no longer Nexium. I also got off of

cholesterol meds. :clap2:. Good luck.

JP

I also have acid reflux and take a prescription daily, but Ive been on my liquid diet for six days. I noticed today that I havent taken my medication or had any reflux since I started the liquid diet. So I am hopeful that I will be reflux free also.

None for me since surgery 08/23/07. As a matter of fact, no meds since (other than Tylenol). YEH!!!

I had horrible acid reflux for years. Took Protonix daily and, if I forgot for a day, would spend the night vomiting acid. Since surgery and a huge hiatal hernia repair, no meds and no reflux!! :clap2:

I had also taken Nexium for years. My gastroenterologist warned me that it would get worse after my banding. During the banding (12/21) my doctor found and repaired a hiatal hernia. I haven't taken a Nexium since and I feel great!

My surgeon told me that banding would definately help my acid reflux and I so hoped it would because I wanted to get off Aciphex that I had taken for 3 years.

I stopped taking it 3 weeks ago and no problems and no heartburn at all. I am thrilled because that was $38 dollars a month even with my great insurance.

The only pill that I still take is for my fibromyalgia.

YIPPEEEEE!!! For the BAND!!

I was banded on 12/4/07 and haven't had reflux since. I suffered daily with heartburn. I would get it with everything I ate, including water! During the surgery the surgeon repaired my hiatial hernia. So happy to be free of the reflux, heartburn and nexium!

It looks like everyone stopped taking reflux and heartburn meds. Include me with all of you. I have had heartburn for as long as I can remember. Three pregnancies and my oldest is fourteen. Anywho, after my pre-op EGD my doc found that I had H-Pylori. I had to take two weeks worth of a handful of pills four times a day. It cleared up.

My surgeon also found a hernia (that seems to be common as well )

To my wonderful surprise, I have not taken one tums, mylanta or any meds at all for reflux and heartburn.

---- AMAZING ----- ;)

I was always having acid reflux and my friends used to tease me that drinking Water would give me heartburn!! I am thrilled to say that I have not had 1 episode of heartburn since surgery. And I have tried the things that bothered me before, just to see.

Good luck.

Before my surgery I actually had reflux so bad that I DID get it from drinking even Water. I used to love drinking iced tea and had to totally quit drinking that because even a few sips sent me into agony for the rest of the day and night. Pepcid, Nexium, etc did not help. I downed TUMS like they were candy. I haven't had to take even one since I have been banded. It was almost worth the money just for that!:party: