Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it bad not to want a first fill?

I just received my band (12/11/07). I’ve made it back to solid food finally. And I’ve found that the un-filled band is helping to minimize my hunger pangs. As a result I’ve been able to substitute Protein Shakes for two meals (along with all the recommended supplements) and then just a small mid-day meal. I’m around 1,000 k calories per day.

I am loosing 2 to 4 pounds per week by this approach.

Is it wrong not to want my first fill?

It seems like many complications begin to arise after fills. I really do not want to get stuck. And I’ve heard that fills can irritate the stomach and cause inflammation, and the inflammation can create even more restriction. Anyway I am just wondering, being on target with the weight loss goals – if the doc would just let me slide for now.

Nope.

If you don't need a fill (and it sounds like you don't), don't get one!

Fill is only to keep you restricted. If you're eating 1k calories a day and losing weight steadily, hold off on the fill :eek:

My doc didn't think I would need a fill, he put the smallest band in and said it was snug. It ends up I did need a (small) fill, but it's perfectly fine not to need one!

I got my lapband back in May and my Dr made me wait 7 weeks til I got my first fill. He has a mandatory 6 week wait to give the band time to "Scar" into place. This helps against slippages is what I was told. And if you are losing 2-4 lbs a week I doubt they would fill you until your weightloss has slowed down or stopped. Good Luck! ~Bo

I don't blame you for not wanting a fill, especially since it's working for you. Just remember that this situation could change as you lose weight as there is less pressure from fat on your stomach.

Enjoy it while it lasts and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who never needs a fill! :rolleyes:

I do not think its bad to not want a fill. The only thing i would suggest is to try not to drink 2 meals a day . At least my doc suggests not supplementing more than 1 meal a day . He does not want us drinking our Protein .

You will get more fullness from eating your Protein. But i say if its working for now your fine. You might find more satisfaction though if you eat more protein rather than drinking it . Also I know several people who have had the band for over a yr and have never been stuck and never PB'd . So a fill does not mean complications or issues.

HTH

Mindy

There is no "bad" only preference! Whatever feels right to you.

That is a good point , There are some people who were at the level of restriction I was at last fill who coudl tolerate it . Or can stick to a softer diet, however it was not comfortable for me so i chose to have a slight unfill.

NOW if your PBing liquids, or mushies I personally think an unfill is needed.

Mindy

I felt the same way about a week ago. I had my lapband put in on December 3rd and I felt full quickly until about a week ago. Now, I feel like I could eat the legs off the dining room table. So, it maybe that you're still swollen some and not ready for a fill but just wait ... that swelling will go away and you'll find yourself eating a cup or cup and a half of food and want more 2-3 hours later. That's when you'll know.

Gus, I want to prolong having a filll for as long as possible, it scares the hell out of me, when the time does come, I will not be agressive with fillls. I want to live a normal life without worries about something getting stuck. I hope my band, excersize and will power work for me.

Am I kidding myself?

Gus, I want to prolong having a feel for as long as possible, it scares the hell out of me, when the time does come, I will not be agressive with feels. I want to live a normal life without worries about something getting stuck. I hope my band, excersize and will power work for me.

Am I kidding myself?

SC

banded 12/26/07

Im not trying to be rude but what is the point in getting the band if your going to will power it the whole time ? yes it takes exercise but the band is there to work for you . And if you follow the rules there is a good chance you will not get stuck . I agree with you about not wanting to be agressive with the fills ! I have had to have 2 unfills . So i totally understand that. But getting stuck is not the end of the world, its not a horrible horrible experience in my opinion . But with out fills you are kidding yourself. you said you want, " your band , exersise and will power " to work for you , with out the fills the band wont work for you . WITH Fills will power is not needed as MUCH , yes you do still need some but you do not have to rely on it as much .

Also a fill is no big deal , its a small needle prick , its over in less than 2 minutes ! I dont even have numbing meds before hand its not needed.

That is just my opinion . Get a fill when its needed , otherwise the band wont work ! .

HTH

Mindy

I felt the same way about a week ago. I had my lapband put in on December 3rd and I felt full quickly until about a week ago. Now, I feel like I could eat the legs off the dining room table. So, it maybe that you're still swollen some and not ready for a fill but just wait ... that swelling will go away and you'll find yourself eating a cup or cup and a half of food and want more 2-3 hours later. That's when you'll know.

Welcome to to Banster Hell ! LOL it will pass soon !

Mindy

Just thought I'd give an update on this. I got my first fill today. I have a 14cc band and they put in 4cc. They sprayed topical spray and froze my port location and then put in the solution. It didn't hurt. I'm on Clear Liquids until the morning but there aren't any issues with feeling stuck yet. It really doesn't feel any different and I'm scheduled for a second fill in 2 weeks. I really encourage you to go ahead and get that first fill.

The topical spray to me is more logical than when they numb it with a needle. By time they stick you with a needle they could have stuck you with the fill needle and it and would have been over with LOL .

Glad your fills went well and your doing fine !

Love

Mindy