Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roberta's surgery - Dec 28th

Thought I would start a little diary of my experience of going through surgery.

I am seriously contemplating posting a video diary on youtube, but I am worried some weirdo might say something bad (and hurt my feelings, you know, I have to admit it).

I have a little over 24 hours now until my surgery. I am really, really excited. I have waited three months now since my consult. This is the first surgery in my life (well, except for my breast reduction) where I am actually glad to go under the knife! What a difference eh? (yup, I'm from Canada, eh?).

I think I have all the supplies I need -

gas x

peppermint tea

heat pad

sf popsicles

broth

also I can make homemade turkey broth as well

cold packs

Did I miss anything?

I have so many thoughts going through my head right now.... I spoke with my husband earlier (we have been together for 10 years now, married for five). I told him I was worried how he would react when I start losing weight. We have been together through thick and thin. He recently gave me a huge ring for xmas saying that he loves me and always will. I was about 180 lbs (really fit though) when I met him, so he knows what I look like smaller. I know that he isn't as sexually attracted to me as he used to be, hell if I was a man I wouldn't be attracted to my body either! However, he has never said anything, and before when I was first starting to gain weight, he told me he really hated it when I put myself down, and asked me to stop. Since that time I have never said I hate my body, I look fat, etc. etc. (which is good, as since then we had two children, and I don't want to pass on my body image issues to my girls.)

Anyways I have to run and go watch Walk the Line (god I love digital cable, I just paused the movie, it's on a regular TV channel, sooo cool!).

I will also post a pic soon.

Take care all

Roberta,

So many feelings you go through before the surgery.

Wishing you all the best with ease of recovery.

C.N.

Well today I went and bagged all of my 3X and higher clothes. What a feeling of relief to know I will NEVER HAVE TO WEAR THEM AGAIN! During previous diets / "lifestyle modifications" I would keep my fat clothes, and sure enough, I would need them when I gained all the weight back (plus some).

Today my treat is having a Tim Hortons french vanilla. Whoo hoo!

I have started that process too - at least getting the summer clothes that I wore. It feels good to clean up the closet a bit.

Getting ready for that new wardrobe. Listen to me and I am only a little over two weeks out. But my total so far - including a 2 week preop diet is 19 lbs.

I'm happy.

C.N.

WOWSA CN, way to go on the weight loss!

I'm just making my turkey stock right now ... what perfect timing with Christmas and all.....

Thought I would start a little diary of my experience of going through surgery.

I am seriously contemplating posting a video diary on youtube, but I am worried some weirdo might say something bad (and hurt my feelings, you know, I have to admit it).

I have a little over 24 hours now until my surgery. I am really, really excited. I have waited three months now since my consult. This is the first surgery in my life (well, except for my breast reduction) where I am actually glad to go under the knife! What a difference eh? (yup, I'm from Canada, eh?).

I think I have all the supplies I need -

gas x

peppermint tea

heat pad

sf popsicles

broth

also I can make homemade turkey broth as well

cold packs

Did I miss anything?

I have so many thoughts going through my head right now.... I spoke with my husband earlier (we have been together for 10 years now, married for five). I told him I was worried how he would react when I start losing weight. We have been together through thick and thin. He recently gave me a huge ring for xmas saying that he loves me and always will. I was about 180 lbs (really fit though) when I met him, so he knows what I look like smaller. I know that he isn't as sexually attracted to me as he used to be, hell if I was a man I wouldn't be attracted to my body either! However, he has never said anything, and before when I was first starting to gain weight, he told me he really hated it when I put myself down, and asked me to stop. Since that time I have never said I hate my body, I look fat, etc. etc. (which is good, as since then we had two children, and I don't want to pass on my body image issues to my girls.)

Anyways I have to run and go watch Walk the Line (god I love digital cable, I just paused the movie, it's on a regular TV channel, sooo cool!).

I will also post a pic soon.

Take care all

Hi Bert,

My surgery is Dec. 28th also, so here is to tomorrow! Good luck to you! We will have to keep in touch.

Well, I just had my dh take some full body pics.

I am really shocked at how heavy I have become. :):):(

I have been wanting for YEARS to be normal, to be thin. I still can't believe I will be on my way there in a few hours.

The only thing I am scared of tomorrow is when they place the IV in my hand.... I can't stand that feeling. I'm not scared of pain (unmedicated home waterbirth, lots of tattoos), I'm just scared of that IV pain when they poke and proddle to get it in. Also the gas pain... (((shudder)))

I dropped my daughters (ages three and five) off at their aunt's house tonight. I'm enjoying a few hours alone now. Some time to reflect on my life...the last few bad years where I just hated my body... looking forward to this new chapter in my life.

Good Luck, I had my surgery yesterday at 8:30 a.m. No problems so far. As you can see I am up and typing on this BB at 6:45 a.m. in Texas.

Let us know how it goes, eh?

holly:whoo:

Well I am finally banded and recuperating at home.

What an experience! I thought I would share my diary of this experience for those who are scheduled to have this surgery.

The staff were awesome, the nurses were all wonderful. I came in there with a great attitude, extremely excited about the surgery, I was cracking jokes and just having a great time. I had to, otherwise my anxiety would have gone through the roof!

Here are some pictures of my boo-boos.

Shaw Photo Share

The password is bert99.

Here is a rundown of what happened:

6:30 am arrived at hospital

Went to surgical daycare

Met with nurse, she asked me some questions, gave me my arm band, and had me change.

While I was changing in the bathroom I had to scrub my belly with antiseptic (I think), and write my initials on my belly (so they would know I knew what surgery I was having).

Then she started an IV line (which was in my arm rather than my hand, thank god!). I then sat in the bed for about 10 minutes, kissed my husband goodbye and was taken by a porter to the surgical area.

At this point it was 7:20. My surgery was SUPPOSED to be at 7:45. I sat, on that bed, staring up at the ceiling until roughly 8 AM!! My god was I ever bored! Nothing to look at or read, other than Mickey and Minnie Mouse on the wall.

Then I met Dr. M the anesthesiologist, she was really nice. Asked me some questions, i got to talk to her about me not wanting to be stoned out of my mind. I was surprised how open and welcoming she was, I didn't feel brushed off or like I was bothering them like I have been during other operations (especially at my local hospital).

I then met the nurse, she wheeled me in, I asked her if we could play bumper cars... how fast did this thing go? things like that.

WOW, the operating room was beautiful. A big plasma TV up on the wall, I was like HEY I get to watch TV during my procedure! ha ha

I then scooted my huge ass over to the operating table, they kept me nice and warm which was great.

I had to unbottom my gown (which was an extra large size, thank you!! I thought that was awesome of the hospital to have bigger gowns). Then I was given something to relax, then the anesthetic, and I don't remember much after that.

I woke up in pain, my chest hurt, and just as I woke up they were inserting suppositories for pain. NOT FUN! HEY, EXIT ONLY!!! :rolleyes:

I was in recovery for quite a few hours, my pain was a 7, the pain was I believe in my port area (below my cleavage I think)...then we figured out that it was the gas pains. I sat up trying to get the pains to go away. If I wasn't sitting up I was zonked out.

I was then moved back to the surgical daycare area where they gave me some oxycodone (sp??? it's like percoset) and that worked WONDERS! My pain was almost gone and I managed to get some good sleep in.

The one thing that was uncomfortable were the automatic support/tension thingamajigs on my legs (they were like automated blood pressure cuffs, they inflated and deflated like a wave, I guess to get the blood flowing in my legs to avoid deep-vein thrombosis). After a few hours they had to take them off as I was absolutely BOILING and the insides were coated with sweat (yuck).

THEN I had to sit down in the chair. After 15 minutes I asked if I could go back to bed, the nurse said no, that Dr. L has specific instructions and he wants his patients to be in the chair and able to move around So i sat in the chair a bit longer. I was really uncomfortable at that point. I then asked if I could go back to bed, she said Dr. L would be here between 3 and 4 p.m. (at the time it was about 2:30) so to stay in the chair. HE DIDN'T GET THERE UNTIL ABOUT 5:45. FINALLY near the end I got to lay down. It was really uncomfortable sitting down and I was also falling asleep which was not fun.

Dr. L came by, looked at my wounds, told me what to eat, I thanked him for performing the surgery and he wrote my rx and he was off.

Had a long drive home ..... I haven't been able to lay down as the gas pain is too much. I took some gas-x. I haven't been able to drink anything without air bubbles going down. I don't get it...maybe it's because I am not able to take big gulps anymore? I had to take a plethora of pills, I take four pills at bedtime, so I had to cut them all up small, plus my T3's. so that took me roughly five minutes to get them all down.

My port incision really hurts, and I feel like I have a disc just below my skin.

I was contemplating having plastic surgery after I reached my goal weight, but after the pain I went through today, I am not interested in it whatsoever. That would be a huge incision, plus the bruising and pain from the Lipo. If I have a little roll I will learn to live with it. I was pretty positive about everything today, I think that helped a great deal with the pain, but I don't want to go through this pain again. Much rather have an unmedicated homebirth again than this!!

If you have gotten this far, thanks for reading!

Congratulations, Roberta. Take it easy and take care of you!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

C.N.