Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction and bingeing

Hi,

I have not been on here for a while as I have been becoming increasingly disillusioned.

I am nearly 8 weeks out from surgery, and am on normal food again now (have been for several weeks). The issue is that even sticking to between 1000-1200 cals a day and sticking to the bandster rules really well I was not losing ANY weight at all.

I had my first fill on 7th December, and have noticed that I need to chew things very well -especially if I have any bread - or I get a stuck sensation. I have had no PBs though. I felt like restriction started to kick in about 10 days after fill, but only lasted for about 2 days and since then I have been able to eat much more than I should be able to.

To make it worse, I am in a period of depression at the moment (not helped by no weight loss despite being good - not even noticing any real inch loss since op either). The last 5 days I have been bingeing in the evening, and can't seem to stop myself. If I had been seeing results it would be easier, but knowing that I was following the rules and not getting anywhere has really crushed me.

I know I should be stronger, and I risk wrecking the band, but I am struggling sooo much at the moment with no restriction telling me I have to stop eating.

Please help.

You need another fill - your band is not yet working with you so schedule another fill and don't be so hard on yourself. People need a different number of fills to achieve perfect restriction.

Fills aside, it might be beneficial to see a psychologist about why you're bingeing in the evening. It could be diet rebellion as you've identified but it doesn't explain why you trying to set yourself up to not fulfill your hopes.

Did you binge pre-banding?

If so, it's likely because you don't put a voice to your feelings about a particular issue (speaking from my own experience here).

You need to schedule a non-eating activity as soon as you get home and become engrossed in it. Exercise is the best as you usually don't feel like bingeing afterwards but any activity that uses your hands will suffice. TV/Computer do not count.

I know it sounds like BS and when you want to binge, you get stubborn and do it anyway but willpower will not just come to you. It's not about willpower at all but why you need to put tremendous amounts of unhealthy food in your mouth.

Having restriction has stopped me from being physically able to binge but has brought so many other things to the surface that I am dealing with (for example work, parents etc.). I know it's a positive process but it is a difficult one. I have to say that not all bandsters have tremendous 'issues' but some do.

Thanks for your support everyone.

I spoke to my nurse a week after the fill and said there didn't seem to be restriction, so I am scheduled for another fill on 15th January.

Yes - I was a binge eater before banding, but I would have been able to control it better if I had been seeing results beforehand. I guess I was hoping that the band would make me physically unable to binge, so if I was stressed or depressed I would have maybe one Tim Tam, not a whole packet, etc.

Insubordination - you may be right about the "issues" thing, and as for keeping busy in the evenings, I know it's a great idea, but I am on the go with 3 boys aged 5 and under all day, so when they go to bed I tend to crash in front of the TV. I suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well as depression, so by the time evening comes I am absolutely exhausted.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions - I just hope I haven't wrecked things!!!

I guess I was hoping that the band would make me physically unable to binge, so if I was stressed or depressed I would have maybe one Tim Tam, not a whole packet, etc.

Hi, kathm.....I used to snack away a lot of food in the evenings....Not as in shoveling in great gobs of food, but as in gnoshing on crackers or pretzels or popcorn or Cookies O N E B I T E A T A T I M E for hours!

I'm 4 months out from surgery and didn't get my first fill until week 9. I was already relapsing into old habits! Then I got really good restriction with my fill, in October. But I've noticed over the last week that I can -- again - put away more food than I should.

And I hear ya being busy during the day -- I keep my 20 month old grandson, a.k.a. Kid Destructo!!! He's like trying to watch a litter of kittens -- 10 directions at once. So I am nearly comatose by the time dinner is over!

That's why I'm HEAR right now and not in front of the TV.

You and I BOTH need to find OTHER things to do in the evening AND, I think, we BOTH need to call our Dr.s next week and schedule a fill!!!!

Jack - would def be interested in more info. Anything that helps is good with me. Thanks

Nana - maybe I'll have to take up knitting or sewing to occupy my hands in front of TV. Thanks for the support.

Its ok- I have been there. I think you should go back right away for another tighetening. I had been doing really well- and then I stopped feeling stricture- and gained a lot back. My Doctor recalibrated my band- took all the Water out, and said that there was hardly any in there- that it had "sweated out" and he re filled me- I have been doing MUCH better. Its ok to feel depressed- Iwas too! I made appointments to meet with the dietition and the psychologist again and this REALLY helped as well! My doctor said- " I pay ALL these people to help you be successful- USE Them!!!" He also said that it was HIS job to make the band work and My job to use the tool he gave me... I hope this helps!

Hi Diana,

Unfortunately, I cannot get another fill until 15th January, and my surgeon does not work in consultation with a dietician and psychologist. I basically see the nurse once a month and she does the fills as necessary and advises me on food issues.

It sounds like you have a really great and supportive surgeon and team helping you. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for replying - it's good to know I'm not alone. Out of interest, was your surgeon concerned that you may have stretched the pouch when you were gaining weight?

I had a doosy today, have gone from 1 piece of toast with low fat cream cheese for brekkie to corn chips, crackers with cheese, nectarines (3 already today), an ice cream popsicle and pizza for dinner. I have a horrible allegy rash all over my body which has been there for 3 days and spent most of yesterday and the night before in emergency... today I am depressed about how I look and feel and I think the food has been helping me deal with it. Of course, now I feel like crap because I ate rubbish. I guess tomorrow's another day and I have had a really good run with the weight loss so far. I won't have another fill until 23 Jan but hoping to get in before if I can. Anyway, don't be hard on yourself, just note your mistake, get a better fill and get on with it.

Great advice. You also need better restriction Sades. I struggle to eat one nectarine unless I cut it up and chew it really well.

I definitely do need more restriction... only have 2 mls in a 10 ml band. I am amazed at what I can get down if I allow myself. I need a little more willpower while waiting for my next fill.

Hi Kathm. I know the last thing you want to hear is this.

As busy as you are with the kids, and then spend your down time sitting in front of the TV, it would really benefit you mentally, physically, and emotionally, to get a little exercise in. Even if you have to get up and walk in place during commercials. There are some really good exercise dvd's out there - Leslie Sansone has an excellent walking program that you can do within 15-30 minutes. I know you are thinking, how am I going to do this when I am so tired? But, you will begin to feel better, I promise. I struggled with depression and fatigue. I did not want to exercise. But I did and the more I exercised the more I wanted to.

Good luck, and don't give up. Get that good restriction going and you won't even be thinking about eating.:eek:

Jack, thanks for the referral to fitday.com. It is fast and easy to use. I can see that it will be very helpful to me!