Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fleur-de-lis/Panniculectomy & Pregnancy

I had gastric bypass about 4 years ago. I've lost 200 lb and I want my excess skin around my belly removed but I haven't had any children and honestly I plan on doing so if I find the other half but I waited almost a year to see the plastic surgeon. I get there and they tell me they can help me and I'm so excited that I can finally be done with this irritation. I don't want this done because I want a flat belly I'm tired of being itchy and sweaty and uncomfortable all the time that's why I want it done but they told me I had time to think about whether I wanted the fleur-de-lis or if I wanted the regular procedure done. I wasn't sure so they told me I could check online. I did so and then in the process found out that most people recommend that you not get pregnant or that you don't do this until you're done with having kids. I'm just so confused are there saying I'm going to have a little bit of a belly again or are they saying the whole thing is going to come crashing down and I'll be right back where I am now. I don't know. I'm just really upset because I feel like I did a lot to get here and now that I am at the end goal, I'm being denied. Sorry if this sounds like a rant. It probably is but I do genuinely want to hear from others.

Edited by Nyx

Ask the surgeon this question not the online community. Its like Chinese whispers online and lots of the opinion is supposition.

My pennyworth would be - get the surgery. Skinny women do not get saggy bellies after pregnancy, they don't eat for two

I would ask the surgeon, too. I had my plastic surgeries in my late 50s and early 60s so I was long past my reproductive years, but I was told not to gain more than 10-15 lbs after surgery because it could affect my results. So...I'm not sure what to tell you.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't exactly clear. I did speak to my surgeon about this. They say it's probably best not to do anything. That's why I'm so upset. I don't have plans to have children tomorrow. What if it's 3 years before that happens? Am I just supposed to be miserable until then.

I have a friend who got roux-en-y in our mid-20s. She lost a lot of weight, I have known her since childhood and she had always been heavy, gaining rapidly in high school. After high school, she had 1 child. She then married someone, got weight-loss surgery, got breast implants and a panniculectomy then proceeded to have a set of twins and two more kids. She managed to lose all of her pregnancy weight, by not gaining excess weight while pregnant and she did not re-stretch her skin.

I think you should go for it. In my opinion, you should live in the present. Life has no guarantees, and you want to be comfortable and happy now. You may or may not have children in the future, but don't let the hope of something, hinder your happiness now.

The best way to keep a handle on how much your skin might stretch during pregnancy is to monitor yourself, and not gain more than recommended.

A couple of scenarios-

1. You meet someone, are not comfortable in your skin and let it hold you back.

2. You meet someone, have children, and are so busy with family life that getting the skin removal surgery is put off for several more years.

3. You have the surgery, you meet someone, have kids and your stomach does not stretch.

4. You have the surgery, meet someone, have kids, your stomach stretches just a little bit you decide it's no big deal or you just have another surgery.

Thank you so much, this is what I was thinking but I thought it best to ask around and then make a final decision.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:45 PM, New To This23 said:

In my opinion, you should live in the present. Life has no guarantees, and you want to becomfortable and happy now

<if i gain, so may> decide it's no big deal or you just have another surgery.

this i think is something often overlooked when people worry about gaining weight/getting pregnant after plastic surgery.

do we all actually think we will stay the same size forever? like im going to stay the same weight and shape i was when i had plastics until the day i die? if/when i am no longer smokin hot (lol) i can always decide to have more plastics (unlikely!)...or just accept it and revel in the awesome run i had :)

yes, your results may be affected if u gain weight (or lose weight!) or become pregnant or develop a stomach tumor, or get in a car accident, etc, etc. unless a decision will actually cause you or someone else HARM, waiting for the "perfect time" may have you waiting forever. im totally with @New To This23...live for NOW. If you have the means and the inclination, go for it :)

Good Luck! ❤️

On 9/22/2023 at 10:50 AM, ms.sss said:

this i think is something often overlooked when people worry about gaining weight/getting pregnant after plastic surgery.

do we all actually think we will stay the same size forever? like im going to stay the same weight and shape i was when i had plastics until the day i die? if/when i am no longer smokin hot (lol) i can always decide to have more plastics (unlikely!)...or just accept it and revel in the awesome run i had :)

yes, your results may be affected if u gain weight (or lose weight!) or become pregnant or develop a stomach tumor, or get in a car accident, etc, etc. unless a decision will actually cause you or someone else HARM, waiting for the "perfect time" may have you waiting forever. im totally with @New To This23...live for NOW. If you have the means and the inclination, go for it :)

Good Luck! ❤️

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I don't get my notifications but thanks everyone! I agree. I have to live in the present when it comes to this situation. I reached back out to the surgeon and told them I wanted to go ahead. They said as long as I understood that getting pregnant would alter my results that they would proceed. I'm scheduled for May.