Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I won’t be able to always make myself a snack obviously. But I need help with healthy prepackaged snack options.

What are some of your favorites? If you can please take pictures and post them here so myself and others know EXACTLY what to get.

Thank you!

Protein Bars that are low in sugar. Some are like candy bars so read the labels!

I like Pure Protein bars that I get at Walmart. Amazon too. Great flavors. Only problem is long list of artificial ingredients.

RX bars have more sugar, but better ingredients

I also like certain low sugar yogurts such as Oikos Triple Zero, Ratio with 25 grams of protein and Skyyr Icelandic yogurt made by a couple different brands.

Also, boiled eggs, cottage cheese and cheese sticks are good.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Deli meat, Jerky, nuts, Peanut Butter with a peeled apple, cheese and grapes. I always have a Amfit bar from Amazon in my bag for emergencies.

We can buy tinned fish like tuna salads and sardines in Tomato sauce. Protein yogurts are everywhere now, find a brand you like.

Do you mean Snacks to take to work or something? You can prepare those in advance. If you're home you can just stock up your fridge with variations on the suggestions.

My go-to snacks are still deli meat (or, better still, meat leftover from last night's dinner) raw nuts and cheese. They will get you through almost every situation. Honestly I haven't had a bar since my surgery - they just don't seem like proper food any more and most are laced with sugar. As you get further out veg (like celery sticks and some sort of hummus or dip or soft cheese) or berries are also good and you can get those at short notice almost everywhere. High Protein yoghurts are also great.

Different times of the year I do different things. Like above said, I plan leftovers to take for lunch or snack. Early on I would drink some Protein Shake. Later I had one oz of chicken or a hard boiled egg. eggs stay better in the cooler months. This summer I put 1oz of fresh walnuts into a toddler sized food container with whatever blueberries I could get in too. It was my perfect anti-hangry fix. The venison and turkey Jerky from Trader Joe’s held hunger off, but also were too salty (for me). Other post surgery folks smoke their own meat (popular in New England where I’m from).

Grab and go Snacks. I guess lunch box stuff I should say. I saw the peeled apple slices. I need Peanut Butter in the prepackaged cups. I like the sliced deli meat option. That sounds tasty.

I'm looking on the BariatricPal shopping site now and on Sam's and Amazon. Sweets have never been my thing much so a Protein Bar seems like a candy bar, which is awesome for some folks. I like savory Snacks like Cheetos, Potato chips and popcorn, etc. (which is why my fat arse needed surgery to begin with) and was looking at the Protein Chips options and saw a big tub of cheetoh type cheese balls on Sams for around $20 and some things that look like Doritos from various companies.

Obviously, I don't want to sit around eating chips and snacks all day bc even the healthy snacks add up pretty quick calorie wise but I'd like to find some snacks as well that are "light" versions but satisfying.

I will say MsTeeTee that if you want a simple protein snack, I purchased a 10 pack of boneless, skinless pre-cooked, seasoned diced chicken breasts which was in 3.5 oz individual portion vacuum sealed packs. It was $14.99 which isn't a great bargain but for just one person, convenient. I'm retired but if I were working a regular job I think I'd buy some meats up, marinate/season them and cook them and freeze them up in Rubbermaid small containers. I've already done that with several varieties of Beans (red beans, Lima beans, 15 bean Soup mix and cream peas) and it makes it an easy lunch or dinner. I'm not sure when(if) we get to eat things like pork, burgers, steak, etc. but things like chicken, pork, steak fajita mix thrown in a small container with a low carb tortilla would make a quick snack. I saw a cute idea at a convenience store where they had taken hamburger meat and shaped it into the shape of a hot dog. I was thinking of doing that and tossing in the air fryer, again, using lc tortilla. If you wanted to make 10 or 20 of the hamburger dogs and toss them in zippy bags for a lunch bag when you leave home, it could make things very convenient later in the day.

IF you aren't into cooking Tyson and Springer Mountain both make bags of 8 oz pre-cooked chicken you could buy already made.

I'm looking forward to getting to the stage where I can eat something besides soft bc I'm not doing so well on it so far, I'm only tolerating eggs w/sausage gravy, some beans, cream of chicken soup, yogurt.

Good luck with finding snacks!

Are you allowed Snacks? Some plans don’t allow them or advise when you can add an additional snack. For example I could snack once a day from about 8 weeks but was limited on what I could snack: yoghurt or a yoghurt drink (snack not as a meal as I was eating them initially), soft cheese (string or jarlsburg were my favourites), or fruit (only serve I was allowed & certain ones only).

I was encouraged to snack more when I reached my goal because I was still losing. But again I given guidelines as to what I could snack. I still snack now 4 years out to get the calories in I need to maintain, reach my Protein goals & get additional nutrients in. Again I’m very careful with what I snack on, when I snack & how often. For example protein bar, multigrain cracker with labneh (make my own) & Tomato, cheese, nuts, fruit, peanut paste.

The only more traditional style snack food I have is roasted fava beans/chick peas for travelling or holidays but honestly I often throw them out without eating them because they’ve expired.

Check with your team first for recommendations & guidance to best suit yiu & your needs. Snacks can quickly increase your calorie intake & can reintroduce bad habits. And many traditional style snacks are sliders even the so called low carb, high protein, no added sugar, lite, versions.

22 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Are you allowed Snacks? Some plans don’t allow them or advise when you can add an additional snack. For example I could snack once a day from about 8 weeks but was limited on what I could snack: yoghurt or a yoghurt drink (snack not as a meal as I was eating them initially), soft cheese (string or jarlsburg were my favourites), or fruit (only serve I was allowed & certain ones only).

I was encouraged to snack more when I reached my goal because I was still losing. But again I given guidelines as to what I could snack. I still snack now 4 years out to get the calories in I need to maintain, reach my Protein goals & get additional nutrients in. Again I’m very careful with what I snack on, when I snack & how often. For example Protein Bar, multigrain cracker with labneh (make my own) & Tomato, cheese, nuts, fruit, peanut paste.

The only more traditional style snack food I have is roasted fava beans/chick peas for travelling or holidays but honestly I often throw them out without eating them because they’ve expired.

Check with your team first for recommendations & guidance to best suit yiu & your needs. Snacks can quickly increase your calorie intake & can reintroduce bad habits. And many traditional style snacks are sliders even the so called low carb, high Protein, no added sugar, lite, versions.

Hi Arabesque

ir is definitely very different from location to location because you’re from another country and the food references are for items that I have not even heard of :).

As I mentioned in another post the difference from dr to dr can be HUGE as to the amount of care you receive, the amount of post surgery guidance and what is expected of patients. Some patients have very detailed instructions and menus while some of us get very little information.
I have noticed that some people are convinced that carbs are no longer allowed, some are fine with them. My dr doesn’t seem to have a problem with them although they want you to get your protein in then veg and then if room allow carbs. I think that carbs, while not ideal, aren’t the devil.
I also believe that if you’re eating a total of less than 4 oz per meal (my dr literally gives you a 4 oz measure cup and says this is what you do for all meals, the cup is imprinted with the words “measure for success”) that as long as you stick to food instead of junk you will probably be fine. Yes, make sure you get the protein but most foods aren’t that calorie dense.

I found a TikTok person who is a bariatric patient who has videos specifically for snacks for low carb Keto diet.

I think we all have to do our research and find what works for our bodies and lifestyles.

I found these at Walmart. They're in a lot of different stores. I have some in my classroom desk as a "just in case" (if I forget my lunch or don't have time to eat my regular lunch). They are VERY filling. I can only eat half at a time. Just an option you can consider. The chocolate Peanut Butter ones are really good too.

20230826_205048.jpg

20230826_205105.jpg

Oh yes, plans can be very different @PennyinAL & we have different needs too which is why I suggested to the OP she contact her team about their requirements/expectations about snacking & what would be best for her. My plan was quite restrictive in some ways compared to others but it wasn’t difficult to follow. And my dietician adjusted the requirements based upon my needs as I progressed.

Finding a way of eating that is sustainable, meets your individual needs & doesn’t restrict/limit your ability to live the life you want is essential. Certainly contributed to my successful weight loss & continued maintenance. 🙂 And yes it does take research & trying different things. It would be way easier for all of us if there was one way of eating that worked for everyone.

PS. Out of curiosity what of the foods I mentioned didn’t you know?

Arabesque the roasted fava/chick peas as a snack? I’m guessing the peanut paste is Peanut Butter? And what is Labneh?
I’ll admit I’m not the most adventurous or knowledgeable about foods and I’m very unfamiliar with foods abroad bc even when I travel I’m reluctant to eat a lot of things

So I have an appointment with my nutritionist on the 29th. I will make sure to make this a priority question on my list for discussion. I know the “manual” and Google says no snacking. But meals and Protein Shakes are getting old with me REAL fast. And before I force myself to eat a meal or shake and feel crappy after? Id rather a snack like fruit or chickpeas makes me feel better and accomplished for the day.

I seem to be doing really good with cabbage Beans and peas. Seafood such as shrimp and salmon. And fruit such as melon.
My current prepackaged snack items have been babybel cheese Protein yogurt pickles sugar free pudding and Jello. I recently added probiotic soda poppi. I open it and wait for it to get flat so I can safely drink it without the gas problems that follow it.

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0558.jpeg

These are really good too!

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0563.jpeg

22 hours ago, PennyinAL said:

Arabesque the roasted fava/chick peas as a snack? I’m guessing the peanut paste is Peanut Butter? And what is Labneh?
I’ll admit I’m not the most adventurous or knowledgeable about foods and I’m very unfamiliar with foods abroad bc even when I travel I’m reluctant to eat a lot of things

Oh I love labneh. It’s a middle eastern soft cheese made from yoghurt. It’s easy to make your own though a little messy. Mix a good pinch of salt in a tub of Greek yoghurt (500g/2cups full fat) & then tip into cheesecloth (I use a large chux cloth). Knot over the handle of a large spoon & suspend over a bowl in the fridge for 24hrs or so. Use it as a spread or a dip, in salads, etc.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/labneh-recipe/

Yes, peanut paste is Peanut Butter.

I buy my roasted fava Beans or chick peas but it’s an Australian company. There are likely US companies as others have mentioned them too. My nieces & nephews are staying over this weekend so they’ll probably eat all the ones I have at the moment - they love them. 😁 You can make them yourself too & add your favourite flavours. I’d do them in an air fryer if you have one so less oil. The ones I buy are salted & 110 calories per 25g (0.8oz) & 6.8g Protein.

https://www.fearlessdining.com/roasted-fava-beans-recipe/