Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you do it?

Jenncore, I had the same rollercoaster experience - 7 years ago! I swore every summer that next summer, I was going to get on a rollercoaster. I began using my younger son as an excuse not to get in line so my family wouldn't know the reason I wasn't riding was because I was too big! Well, my youngest son is now old enough to ride and next summer, I am getting on a rollercoaster with him!!!

The other thing is I was always healthy...just fat. That's what I use to say. I watched people have different surgeries and said well if I ever have health problems...

Last spring I was diagnosed with pre-diabetis, pre-hypertension and sleep apnea.

That was it, I began the process. I had surgery on 8/30/07. It was hte best decision. I only wish I had made it sooner. I was down 45lbs. as of 12/17 I have a 50lb goal for 1/1/2008 (don't own a scale so won't know if I made my goal until 1/2). I am currently at my lowest weight in 13 years. When I get to 75bs, I will be at my lowest weight in 25 years. I plan to be there in time to ride the rollercoaster!

My final straw was when I tried to put on a belt that was too big when I had bought it a couple of years ago and now it won't even come close to fitting around me. I had been thinking about Lap-Band for a couple of years, but the belt incident made me call and see what I needed to do. I really didn't think I would get approved for the financing, but when it all fell into place, I was ready to do it!! In face, my surgery ended up being only about 3 weeks later!

For me, it was health reasons, but not the ones most think of.

I had been researching the band for the past year. But, in May, I turned 40 and the injuries began. I pinched a nerve in my neck, then hurt my arm, then tore a ligament in my foot.

That was it. So, I am now 8 days from surgery.

Mine was the fact that my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer last year at age 37, I was 38. My mom and my brother have Diabetes, my dad had his first heart attack at 47 and now has an internal defib. I felt that I was walking around with a target on my back.

I had lost 50 pounds on my own and hit a plateau. Month after month I just stayed at the same weight. I started losing hope and a couple of pounds crept back on, and I knew I had to do something different or I would be right back where I started.

I had lost 50 pounds on my own and hit a plateau. Month after month I just stayed at the same weight. I started losing hope and a couple of pounds crept back on, and I knew I had to do something different or I would be right back where I started.

I always admire people that could lose weight even without a band. Fifty pounds is amazing. I could never do that!

I was having health issues and had seen people at work having the gastric bypass. I have young children and the complications of the gastric bypass procedure scared me too bad to take on that venture.

When I seen the Lapband and started researching it, as I am a research freak, I knew it was for me.

I was banded on September 29 and it has been the best decision in my life. I am 53 pounds down and feel 150% better that I could ever imagine. My friends and family are really noticing and I am getting compliments on how great I am looking. This is great, but the way I feel is better.

It is definitely a very personal decision, but one I am glad I made.

Good luck on your journey!!!

I have a very definitive time where my decision was made.

I went to the doctor (new doctor that I really feel comfortable with) for my repeat of my blood pressure medication and for the past 20 years every time I get my new 6 months repeat I always think without actually saying "next time I come I will be lighter and my medication will be reduced"

However I don't know where it came from but I said to the doctor"If I'm not 20 kilos lighter by the next time I come I'm going to have to do something serious, and his reply was..... Lapbanding is wonderful and I could bring you in a lot of people who have had wonderful success"

I weighed 142kilos and was seriously following WW and losing weight.

6 days later I was on a holiday and binging my head off and was 6 kilos heavier.....

in the depths bleakness and despair...

4 weeks later I had the surgery.

THANK GOD I DID...

I was an Atkins junkie for two years and lost nearly all my excess weight and for the first time was high on life and just felt really good. Then I got pregnant and have gained EVERYTHING back. I just can't face the idea of having to go thru another tough two years to get the weight back off only to risk it coming back. I need something to help reduce my portions and that's what the band has done for me. I'm just beginning to learn to eat correctly. That is the hard part. I can still gain if I eat a bowl of brownies for Breakfast instead of something healthy.

My "last straw" moment was when was my 6 year old told me that my new diet wasn't gonna work because "didn't I remember? None of your diets work momma." It broke my heart.

RTW

Mine has been a slow buildup of things but I think the real kickers

-losing 2 people one aunt and one uncle this last year. My uncle was on full time oxygen had to use a scooter full time and had had 3 different WLS in his life all which failed for him. My aunt who is and has always been my favorite person in the family also passed away this year she was only 10 years older then me and we were roughly the same weight. This devistated me and depressed me at the same time.

Then a month or so later Doc said I had high blood pressure. Put me on meds. Another month after that put me on a second blood pressure medicine..

I looked down one morning at the 15 pills, I have to take each morning and realized I HAD to do something. And something drastic since nothing had worked in the past.

The tv show on A&E probably helped also. I am tired of being a hermit, restricted on where I can go and what I can do. I've had it with that part of my life and ready to change it.