Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great to hear from so many of you. I'm meeting liquid goals most days, thank god for broth as its half my liquid at this stage. I want to be at the puree stage so badly. I hate the liquid stage. Only a few more days now. I'm going to instant pot 6 different meals this weekend so I have my pureed foods ready to go.

I'm losing about 2.5 pounds a day right now. What the heck right? It obviously won't last but wow.

For those on puree how is it going? How much can you eat per meal?

On 05/18/2023 at 14:26, ktkean said:

Hello! New to this community. I’m 1 week post-op and feeling great! Anyone else?

Welcome. I had sleeve on 5/11 and also feel great. I was in and out the hospital same day. Only issue I’ve had is I am not a sweets person so the shakes got old quick. But I did get unflavored powder so it’s going so much better. I’m ready for soft foods. Lol.

On 05/18/2023 at 14:55, Jason Jacobson said:

@AmandaD. I had the sleeve done 8 days ago and had no issues. No sore throat or anything, just dry and chapped lips from the ventilator. The issue is having the liquids with 75% of your stomach removed. It’s just a trial and error. Getting used to taking tiny sips out of medicine cups, but it’s crazy how quick that improves. I’m already up to drinking about 50 Oz of Water per day. I’m down 12 pounds since my surgery 8 days ago.

Congrats! I’m 8 days post op from sleeve and also had no issues. I also drink 50 to 60oz a day. I mean I do wake up at 5am. I went right back to work this last Monday. I only took 4 days off Thursday through Sunday. I work for the school district and have a desk job so it was so easy to go back. Super happy how things are going.

Synlee we haven’t heard from you lately, praying all is well and you’re doing much better.
My surgery band to RNY was Monday 5/15 gained weight from 205 up to 212.5 due to fluids. Released from Hospital 5/17 at 212.5. Gassy, very loose stool, pee constantly, other than that doing good with minimal pain controlled by Tylenol extra strength melts.
Plan for today put on belly band (helps with swelling and pain), then loose sweats and hide my drains in the legs & take a walk to the end of the block a few times throughout the day. Wish me luck
Thanks

10 hours ago, AmandaD. said:

For those who are around 1 1/2 post op would you be ready to drive 5 hours to see friends and family for a long weekend? My surgery got moved to June 7th and I have a friends get together 5 hours away the weekend after. I’ll be 10 days post op. I know everyone’s post op is different but generally speaking???

I think if you stop every 1 1/2 hours and a walk a minute, would help with the circulation and not getting blood clots. My husband is in blood thinners for life- we always stop and stretch our legs to prevent them.

19 hours ago, AmandaD. said:

Hey, so I’m getting my RnY with HH surgery soon and some of you have spoken about having issues swallowing/drinking right after surgery. Is it more of a sore throat feeling or deeper down into the hernia/ stomach? I currently have a sore throat and it’s almost impossible for me to even sip Water it hurts so bad… just wondering if that’s a possibility after surgery.

I had the VSG with hiatal and ventrical hernia repairs on May 4th. The only issues I encountered was a lot of discomfort wearing a bra (caused a pressure rather than pain) and feeling very full after only 3-4 oz of liquid. The feeling full issue passed within a few days of walking 15 minutes every half hour/hour. Two weeks later I'm on pureed foods now and the full feeling is back; I can barely get 2oz of food at times. Walking has helped, as well as making sure not to drink anything 30 minutes before and after eating.

I will say this. Get some throat drops to help with the sore throat because your throat may be even more sore after surgery, from the breathing tube. Good luck!

On 5/17/2023 at 8:15 AM, Synlee said:

Hi all, well I am now 9 days post op GS.. and it has been awful, i have been to the ER twice now for dehydration. I sill cant get much down without being in severe pain, then shortly after it comes up. They did CT scan and it shows that every thing looks good, no leaks. Now i have what i feel is a awful sinus infection. Blowing out and coughing up thick green mucus. Im feeling so defeated, and like having this surgery was mistake. I hope no one out here is going though anything similar to me,,

I'm so sorry to see that you're struggling so! I know someone who had surgery several years ago and experienced similar problems; they had stricture/narrowing in the esophagus that had to be dilated. Has your surgeon checked for that? I'll keep praying you feel better quick and are able to get your fluids and Protein in.

I got 1/2 mile walk in around the neighborhood felt like 5, but good. Stopped every 48 steps for a sip. I got full quickly will pace it out to 60-70 steps per sip

La nena thank you!! I will find it and try it out. Right now doing watered and iced down coffee with caramel fairlife 30g Protein to cut the sweetness

I'm ten days out from VSG with a esophageal hernia repair. I did need to take Tylenol for pain for seven days, and I'm happy to be pain free now. Luckily, I was able to take 50oz of Fluid from the beginning - and I am now up to 75+oz. Honestly, I was more worried about that than food restriction, because I have always loved drinking Water. All of the sweet Protein Shakes and waters have put me off sweet tastes and I have been experimenting. I've been adding GENEPRO unflavored Protein Powder to everything (there is one with 22 grams of Protein for a small scoop). I'm in the pureed stage with meat now (I know - but my University's lead surgeon allows on his diet plan) and I have enjoyed cream of malanga Soup with one very soft scrambled egg and today I made a kind of blended chicken tzatziki soup with cucumber, cottage cheese, chicken and dill, plus a little water. I'm so happy! 4oz had 21gr of protein. I also love spices, but I'm taking it slow. I have a couple of finishing salts with truffle or lemon/fennel. Just the lightest sprinkle makes a big difference to my tastebuds. And FlavorGod's Gingerbread cookie topper mini-sprinkles gives a zing to all the protein yogurt I've been eating. I hope this helps some people looking for ideas to get away from the sweet tastes. I've also switch off premade protein shakes and back to Iconic brand protein powders. They taste be mild and not sweet, so once you get to the 8oz of liquids I recommend it.

I have been getting out to do errands before I go back to work next week, however I haven't really started walking with exercise in mind. It's time to start today. I'm nine pounds down and very happy I made the decision for WLS. 59 since starting this journey with the Bariatric Center in November. I'm a foodie, and I was worried about not being able to enjoy foods in the future and I'm incredibly happy I am on the way to good health.

On that note, I was taken off a blood pressure med and a statin by my GP yesterday. THAT was a win!

For any of you who are having more challenges after your surgery. Hang in there! My heart is with you because I know that could be any of us.

9 minutes ago, travelgal said:

I'm ten days out from VSG with a esophageal hernia repair. I did need to take Tylenol for pain for seven days, and I'm happy to be pain free now. Luckily, I was able to take 50oz of Fluid from the beginning - and I am now up to 75+oz. Honestly, I was more worried about that than food restriction, because I have always loved drinking Water. All of the sweet Protein Shakes and waters have put me off sweet tastes and I have been experimenting. I've been adding GENEPRO unflavored Protein Powder to everything (there is one with 22 grams of Protein for a small scoop). I'm in the pureed stage with meat now (I know - but my University's lead surgeon allows on his diet plan) and I have enjoyed cream of malanga Soup with one very soft scrambled egg and today I made a kind of blended chicken tzatziki Soup with cucumber, cottage cheese, chicken and dill, plus a little Water. I'm so happy! 4oz had 21gr of Protein. I also love spices, but I'm taking it slow. I have a couple of finishing salts with truffle or lemon/fennel. Just the lightest sprinkle makes a big difference to my tastebuds. And FlavorGod's Gingerbread cookie topper mini-sprinkles gives a zing to all the protein yogurt I've been eating. I hope this helps some people looking for ideas to get away from the sweet tastes. I've also switch off premade protein shakes and back to Iconic brand protein powders. They taste be mild and not sweet, so once you get to the 8oz of liquids I recommend it.

I have been getting out to do errands before I go back to work next week, however I haven't really started walking with exercise in mind. It's time to start today. I'm nine pounds down and very happy I made the decision for WLS. 59 since starting this journey with the Bariatric Center in November. I'm a foodie, and I was worried about not being able to enjoy foods in the future and I'm incredibly happy I am on the way to good health.

On that note, I was taken off a blood pressure med and a statin by my GP yesterday. THAT was a win!

For any of you who are having more challenges after your surgery. Hang in there! My heart is with you because I know that could be any of us.

How's the GENEPRO protein? I just ordered some and should be here soon. I'm having trouble finding an unflavored protein that isn't awful tasting.

Also, congratulations on your win! That's exciting.

Edited by LindsayT

@LindsayT Here is a photo the one I purchased. I like it. Truly unflavored and it mixes in well. Not grainy. The Protein count for the scoop size is great. I put a K-cup next to the scoop in the photo. I also use a half scoop frequently to add 11grams.

C3C49B26-573E-47A4-ACAE-8BE966B1FB46.jpeg

Edited by travelgal

6 minutes ago, travelgal said:

@LindsayT Here is a photo the one I purchased. I like it. Truly unflavored and it mixes in well. Not grainy. The Protein count for the scoop size is great. I put a K-cup next to the scoop in the photo. I also use a half scoop frequently to add 11grams.

C3C49B26-573E-47A4-ACAE-8BE966B1FB46.jpeg

Great thank you!

I had my vsg surgery yesterday morning and was required to stay at the hospital at least one night. I was discharged today are 4pm. My hospital stay we well. I had around 5 bags of IV Fluid and also round a of IV Tylenol and also blood thinner shots. The worst pain was from the gas they filled me with. My hospital had Isopure drinks, the blue raspberry is amazing. I’m just hopeful my recovery at home goes smoothly.