Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A lot of scary information

I've been nosing my way around the forums for a few weeks and have noticed a lot of concerning, scary, and intimidating information. I know that this is not the norm, but still. Going through everything, is it worth it? I'm still going through all my pre-op appointments and will hopefully see the surgeon for final approval at the end of March and bypass in April or May (as long as there are no hiccups). Thanks!

In my opinion, people tend to post difficulties/problems more so than positive issues mainly because they are seeking advice or comfort. Not many people post just to say their Bariatric surgery is going great.

Now to answer was it worth it? For me, YES. I did not find it that difficult of a surgery or diet to follow. Was it all fun? no. But the results are fun!

Keep a positive attitude and enjoy the ride.

I agree with Old Salt. I wished I'd have done it years ago. Almost 4 months post op and the healing process was easy for me... no problems.

In my opinion, people tend to post difficulties/problems more so than positive issues mainly because they are seeking advice or comfort. Not many people post just to say their Bariatric surgery is going great.
Now to answer was it worth it? For me, YES. I did not find it that difficult of a surgery or diet to follow. Was it all fun? no. But the results are fun!
Good point.

2 hours ago, Old Salt said:

I totally agree with you. For me it was more than worth it and I wish I had done it sooner. I've posted recently about my 1 year WLS journey and intend to keep on posting about my progress. As with everything in life, there are pros and cons but to me the pros outweighed the cons by a big margin.

To the OP, good luck with your surgery and I hope all goes well with you. You got this and we are here for you!

Edited by omrhsn

I totally agree with you. For me it was more than worth it and I wish I had done it sooner. I've posted recently about my 1 year WLS journey and intend to keep on posting about my progress. As with everything in life, there are pros and cons but to me the pros outweighed the cons by a big margin.
To the OP, good luck with your surgery and I hope all goes well with you. You got this and we are here for you!
I'm excited to see where this journey leads me.

Just now, LindsayT said:

I'm excited to see where this journey leads me.

That is the spirit 😍

I was reading those stories in the days before my surgery and had to make myself stop. I knew that those kinds of stories are very rare, but still, they scared the crap out of me.

the people above are correct in that people are a lot more likely to post when they have issues or questions or concerns. They're looking for advice and support. People usually don't post to say that everything is great (I know some do - but it's way more likely they'll post when they're having issues).

Most of us don't have complications, and of those who do, they're almost always minor things that are treatable to "fixable". I had strictures at weeks 4 and 8. They're the most common complication in bypass patients (they can happen to sleevers, too, but they're pretty rare with sleeve). But about 5% of bypass patients get them. I would hardly call something that only 5% of people get "common", but there you go. (strictures can happen within the first three months post-op - they're very rare after that. And they're a super easy fix. They just do an upper endoscopy and use a tool to stretch it out. You feel 100% better afterward).

yes I am so happy I had my surgery and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. If I had to go back every year and do it again, I would. Honestly, it was one of the best decisions I"ve ever made - if not THE best. It's changed my life!

another thing to consider - you are at much greater risk staying obese than you are having the surgery. These surgeries at one time were very risky and some people died from them. But that was 30+ years ago and they've come a LONG way since then. They've become very routine surgeries, and they're quite safe these days. There's a 0.3% mortality rate for bypass, and less than that for a sleeve (I can't remember the rate on the sleeve, other than it's lower than bypass). That means you have at least a 99.7% chance of making it through just fine. And you will. That rate is actually even better than the rate for hip replacement surgeries, and they do those all the time.

I was reading those stories in the days before my surgery and had to make myself stop. I knew that those kinds of stories are very rare, but still, they scared the crap out of me.
the people above are correct in that people are a lot more likely to post when they have issues or questions or concerns. They're looking for advice and support. People usually don't post to say that everything is great (I know some do - but it's way more likely they'll post when they're having issues).
Most of us don't have complications, and of those who do, they're almost always minor things that are treatable to "fixable". I had strictures at weeks 4 and 8. They're the most common complication in bypass patients (they can happen to sleevers, too, but they're pretty rare with sleeve). But about 5% of bypass patients get them. I would hardly call something that only 5% of people get "common", but there you go. (strictures can happen within the first three months post-op - they're very rare after that. And they're a super easy fix. They just do an upper endoscopy and use a tool to stretch it out. You feel 100% better afterward).
yes I am so happy I had my surgery and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. If I had to go back every year and do it again, I would. Honestly, it was one of the best decisions I"ve ever made - if not THE best. It's changed my life!
another thing to consider - you are at much greater risk staying obese than you are having the surgery. These surgeries at one time were very risky and some people died from them. But that was 30+ years ago and they've come a LONG way since then. They've become very routine surgeries, and they're quite safe these days. There's a 0.3% mortality rate for bypass, and less than that for a sleeve (I can't remember the rate on the sleeve, other than it's lower than bypass). That means you have at least a 99.7% chance of making it through just fine. And you will. That rate is actually even better than the rate for hip replacement surgeries, and they do those all the time.

Thanks! There is so much information at once. I'm trying not to let it all get in my head.

Bariatric surgery can be a life-changing procedure for many people and can lead to significant weight loss and improved health. However, like any major surgery, it also comes with its own set of risks and challenges.

It's understandable to have concerns and feel overwhelmed by the information you're reading online. However, it's important to keep in mind that not all experiences are the same and that many people have had positive outcomes from bariatric surgery.

It's best to discuss your concerns with your bariatric surgeon and to ask questions about the procedure, the risks, and the recovery process. Your surgeon can provide you with personalized information and guidance based on your individual needs and medical history.

Ultimately, the decision to have bariatric surgery is a personal one and should be based on a careful consideration of the benefits and risks, as well as a thorough discussion with your doctor. With the right support and preparation, many people are able to achieve their weight loss goals and improve their overall health.

21 hours ago, LindsayT said:

I've been nosing my way around the forums for a few weeks and have noticed a lot of concerning, scary, and intimidating information. I know that this is not the norm, but still. Going through everything, is it worth it? I'm still going through all my pre-op appointments and will hopefully see the surgeon for final approval at the end of March and bypass in April or May (as long as there are no hiccups). Thanks!

The way to combat the scary stories, is to also read the fixes. Are you scared of strictures? How do they fix them? Are you scared of bowel blockages? How do they fix them? Pretty much all the complications can be treated, if caught in time.

Every scary complication I read about, I also read about the treatment. That calmed me down. I also asked myself: If my doctor were to tell me that I would definitely have x, x, and x complications, would I still go through with it? The answer was always, "yes". I think that's where you need to get.

If you were told that you would definitely have ___(insert scary complication and its associated treatment)___, would you still have the surgery?

The way to combat the scary stories, is to also read the fixes. Are you scared of strictures? How do they fix them? Are you scared of bowel blockages? How do they fix them? Pretty much all the complications can be treated, if caught in time.
Every scary complication I read about, I also read about the treatment. That calmed me down. I also asked myself: If my doctor were to tell me that I would definitely have x, x, and x complications, would I still go through with it? The answer was always, "yes". I think that's where you need to get.
If you were told that you would definitely have ___(insert scary complication and its associated treatment)___, would you still have the surgery?
Yes. Good points.

When I was considering weight loss surgery, I specifically looked for people who regretted it. I always like to be prepared, and for me, it was important to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. I had a hard time finding people who regretted their surgery; even people who suffered from serious complications often said that they would still do it again!

I think it's important to go into surgery with your eyes open. It's not fun or easy. There are pros and cons and you have to evaluate for yourself if the surgery is worth it. For me, it was pretty clear cut, and yet still a tough decision. I started with a BMI over 60. My weight seriously hindered every aspect of my life. It was worth it for me to take a chance, even knowing all the negatives and risks, because it felt like my only chance to live. I lost more weight than I ever thought possible, but it's a struggle every day -- and yet nothing compared to how hard it was to live with morbid obesity.

100% worth it to me. My bypass was so complication/side effect free, I would do it once a year if I had to. lol. I love it that much.

I played the numbers game when I got apprehensive before surgery. wLS, 1 out of 1000 patients (0.13%) risk of death vs gallbladder removal 1 out of 200 vs daily common aspirin more than 3K deaths a year. The risk in flying, 1 in 1.2M vs driving, 1 in 5000. Everything has risks.

On 2/4/2023 at 1:12 PM, Jeanniebug said:

This is a great point! I made sure to tell my surgeon during the initial consult exactly what I'm afraid of happening, or what I have read could happen. He was able to explain, in detail, how each complication can be dealth with. Basically, there's a workaround for any complication. That really sealed the deal for me, and I'm moving forward with a lot more confidence.