Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you wished you would have packed for your hospital stay....

Tomorrow is the day for my much anticipated gastric bypass surgery. I am packing my bag and hoping I am not forgetting anything. Kaiser sent a letter telling me to bring very little, but I want to be comfortable :)

Anyone have any handy tips on what to forget at home and what to bring?

you're probably going to be sleeping almost the whole time, so I definitely wouldn't pack much. Your cell phone and charger for sure. Also, some people have dry mouth/chapped lips after the surgery, so you might want to bring some dry mouth spray (like Biotene) and chapstick just in case (I didn't have that issue, but many people do). And big, easy-to-put on comfy clothes for the ride home (I just wore the same thing to and from the hospital).

I also brought toiletries, but they gave me a small bag of them when I was in the hospital, so I didn't need mine (they gave me a toothbrush, toothpaste, Shampoo, deodorant)

they'll have a hospital gown for you and those slip-resistant socks, so you won't need anything like that unless you prefer your own.

So i packed a bunch of stuff. After surgery i literally needed nothing other than my charger for my phone lol. I slept most of the time.

The only thing I needed were my comfy pajama pants under the gown and my extra long phone charger. I used my iPad cause I brought it but could’ve lived without it to be honest. I had to shower right before I left for hospital with the special soap so I just wore the same thing home from the hospital with fresh undergarments. Ooh and I did freshen up with a washcloth and put on deodorant and brushed my teeth of course. I wasn’t allowed to shower so I didn’t really need my other toiletries. Honestly you don’t need much.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

you're probably going to be sleeping almost the whole time, so I definitely wouldn't pack much. Your cell phone and charger for sure. Also, some people have dry mouth/chapped lips after the surgery, so you might want to bring some dry mouth spray (like Biotene) and chapstick just in case (I didn't have that issue, but many people do). And big, easy-to-put on comfy clothes for the ride home (I just wore the same thing to and from the hospital).

I also brought toiletries, but they gave me a small bag of them when I was in the hospital, so I didn't need mine (they gave me a toothbrush, toothpaste, Shampoo, deodorant)

they'll have a hospital gown for you and those slip-resistant socks, so you won't need anything like that unless you prefer your own.

Thank you. The dry mouth thing is already a problem since this liquid diet.

1 hour ago, liveaboard15 said:

So i packed a bunch of stuff. After surgery i literally needed nothing other than my charger for my phone lol. I slept most of the time.

I am probably way over thinking this. LOL. Nerves got me so scatter brained :)

55 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

The only thing I needed were my comfy pajama pants under the gown and my extra long phone charger. I used my iPad cause I brought it but could’ve lived without it to be honest. I had to shower right before I left for hospital with the special soap so I just wore the same thing home from the hospital with fresh undergarments. Ooh and I did freshen up with a washcloth and put on deodorant and brushed my teeth of course. I wasn’t allowed to shower so I didn’t really need my other toiletries. Honestly you don’t need much.

Oh, I never thought of pajama pants! Thanks!

10 minutes ago, PNWgrandma said:

Oh, I never thought of pajama pants! Thanks!

Yea the gowns are backless. Lol

1 hour ago, PNWgrandma said:

I am probably way over thinking this. LOL. Nerves got me so scatter brained :)

Best of luck to you! So exciting 🙌

for after the hospital a walking cane helped a ton with getting around the house and especially getting up out of a chair.

3 hours ago, PNWgrandma said:

Tomorrow is the day for my much anticipated gastric bypass surgery. I am packing my bag and hoping I am not forgetting anything. Kaiser sent a letter telling me to bring very little, but I want to be comfortable :)

Anyone have any handy tips on what to forget at home and what to bring?

I was awake a lot more than I was asleep, so I wish I had brought a book or my laptop. My phone just wasn't enough to keep me occupied for my wakeful recovery. I know a lot of people sleep but you never know if you may be the one who doesn't. With weight restraints, I would have brought a paperback book or kindle. I also would have brought a small bottle of mouthwash.

If I think of anything else, I will update. Just got home!

Edit to add what I brough and used or didn't:
cell phone bank charger (used it)
cell phone cable (used it)
cell phone stand to read without holding the phone, I had it on my tray. (used this, obv)
robe (didn't use)
button front pajama shirt and shorts (didn't use)
toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick, face wipes (used all of this)
hairbrush (used)
kept my hair in braids but it still managed to get very tangled
small notebook and pen (used)

Like others, I wore the same clothes to and from the hospital. I wore joggers, a tshirt, a zip front hoodie, socks and slip on sneakers.

Edited by Lisa XO

I agree that you may be awake. I wasn’t in a great deal of pain and asked to be taken off the pain meds so I was awake too. I am pretty easily occupied by my phone but if you prefer to read or crochet or something else, Bringing that is not a bad idea. If you have someone coming to visit they can always bring things too. The reason they say not to pack alot is that you are separated from your bag during surgery and recovery and I don’t even know where they keep it cause you don’t have a room until you leave recovery. I definitely wouldn’t bring anything you would be upset to lose but I do agree that you may want something to occupy your time.

My procedure was outpatient but out of town from where I live and my only regret was packing too much. All you're going to want to do is sleep. Bring comfortable loose clothes and maybe a book or an iPad to keep yourself occupied (hospital TV sucks), but I wouldn't worry too much about packing a bunch of things because you probably won't use them.

53 minutes ago, Blessd1 said:

Best of luck to you! So exciting 🙌

Thank you so much! I am so excited!

16 minutes ago, Lisa XO said:

I was awake a lot more than I was asleep, so I wish I had brought a book or my laptop. My phone just wasn't enough to keep me occupied for my wakeful recovery. I know a lot of people sleep but you never know if you may be the one who doesn't. With weight restraints, I would have brought a paperback book or kindle. I also would have brought a small bottle of mouthwash.

If I think of anything else, I will update. Just got home!

Oh, I will definitely bring a book, just in case :) Thanks!