Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you wished you would have packed for your hospital stay....

When packing for a hospital stay after bariatric surgery, it's important to remember that you may have limited mobility and may be on a liquid or pureed diet for a period of time. Here are some things to consider bringing:

• Comfortable clothing and shoes that are easy to get on and off. Loose-fitting clothes that are easy to move in are best.
  • A robe and slippers for walking around your room.
  • A pillow or cushion to help with comfort.
  • A book, magazine, or tablet to keep yourself entertained during your stay.
  • A notebook and pen to keep track of important information and ask any questions you may have.
  • A water bottle or straw cup to help you stay hydrated.
  • Lip balm, lotion, and any other personal hygiene items you may need.
  • A copy of your insurance card, driver's license, and other important documents.
  • A list of medications, Vitamins, or supplements you take and their dosages.

Some things that might not be necessary to bring:

• A lot of clothing, as you may not need it.
  • Large amounts of toiletries, since most hospitals, provide them.
  • Large amounts of money or valuables, as you may not need them.

5 minutes ago, Alex Brecher said:

When packing for a hospital stay after bariatric surgery, it's important to remember that you may have limited mobility and may be on a liquid or pureed diet for a period of time. Here are some things to consider bringing:

• Comfortable clothing and shoes that are easy to get on and off. Loose-fitting clothes that are easy to move in are best.
  • A robe and slippers for walking around your room.
  • A pillow or cushion to help with comfort.
  • A book, magazine, or tablet to keep yourself entertained during your stay.
  • A notebook and pen to keep track of important information and ask any questions you may have.
  • A water bottle or straw cup to help you stay hydrated.
  • Lip balm, lotion, and any other personal hygiene items you may need.
  • A copy of your insurance card, driver's license, and other important documents.
  • A list of medications, Vitamins, or supplements you take and their dosages.

Some things that might not be necessary to bring:

• A lot of clothing, as you may not need it.
  • Large amounts of toiletries, since most hospitals, provide them.
  • Large amounts of money or valuables, as you may not need them.

Actually you shouldn’t bring a straw cup. You won’t be allowed to use straws for the rest of your life because it lets too much air in your stomach.

20 minutes ago, PsychoMantis said:

Actually you shouldn’t bring a straw cup. You won’t be allowed to use straws for the rest of your life because it lets too much air in your stomach.

"That is purely a myth. In the early days of weight-loss surgery, drinking through a straw was a no-no because of how the procedure was done. Even though this isn’t an issue with contemporary weight-loss surgeries, the myth persists. Rest assured that you can keep using a straw."

5 minutes ago, Alex Brecher said:

"That is purely a myth. In the early days of weight-loss surgery, drinking through a straw was a no-no because of how the procedure was done. Even though this isn’t an issue with contemporary weight-loss surgeries, the myth persists. Rest assured that you can keep using a straw."

My doctor told me never to use a straw again because of this. Figure I should probably listen to him. I don’t have a medical degree after all.

1 minute ago, PsychoMantis said:

My doctor told me never to use a straw again because of this. Figure I should probably listen to him. I don’t have a medical degree after all.

I agree with you 100%. Listen to your doc!

Just for reference purposes, this is where I pulled my information from:

https://www.orlandohealth.com/content-hub/6-bariatric-surgery-myths-and-the-truth#:~:text=There's no need to give,loss surgeries%2C the myth persists.

https://www.charlottehodgesmd.com/articles/weightloss/true-or-false-bariatric-nutrition-myths/

UrbanLegendsInBariatricNutritionSponsoredbyOrgain.pdf