Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 years now having VSG to Bypass in 2 weeks

I’m having my 2013 sleeve converted to bypass on 1/9/2023 because of GERD. I’m not too happy that I have to go through with this as I never wanted a full bypass and have enjoyed being able to still eat a some what normal diet (albeit with less volume than pre sleeve). I’m down between 60-70 lbs from my top weight pre sleeve. Not as much as I really need to feel good in my body but certainly healthier.
a few questions:

1. Anyone done this and can share their experience?
  2. Will I ever be able to eat again? I know I will but the sleeve was pretty forgiving, everything I read about bypass with the emphasis on Protein, chewing 20x, not drinking 15 min before or after eating, makes me think the little enjoyment I got from a good meal after VSG is over, even that is gone.
  3. What was you weight loss when you went from sleeve to bypass? I’ve heard I can expect maybe 10-15%. beyond where I am now
  4. Any tips or things to watch out for? I’ll be glad to get rid of the GERD and hopefully avoid all the bad things that can come from that but I’m super worried I won’t be able to follow the bypass regime and have other health problems from not following things as directed.

I have a virgin bypass, but I've been eating a normal diet for years.

for your questions: 2. Yes, of course! It's not going to be much different than it was with the sleeve, from what I've read.

Protein- yes - you need to make sure you're getting enough.

For most people it's around 60-80 grams a day (although isn't that true of sleeve, too? My clinic told both types of patients to get that much)

My first few weeks post-op I couldn't drink 15 minutes before eating and 30 minutes after, but once I moved to solid food, I was told I could drink up to the time I started eating. Still am supposed to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink, though.

Chewing thing - at my clinic, they had both types of patients chewing everything at least 20x before swallowing. I was religious about it the first few weeks, but I don't really do that anymore. I probably should because after surgery (both types) your stomach doesn't churn as much as it did before, so you have to do some of that "churning" before swallowing it, but I don't think I normally chew things 20+ times.

from everything I've read/heard, weight loss is slower after revision than it is with a virgin surgery, but I know people who've lost a lot of weight after revising (and others who've just lost 20 lbs or so)

I don't think you're going to find it much different than sleeve. One big thing to remember, though, is that you need to keep on top of your Protein and supplements. Of course, sleevers should as well, but the consequences are greater if you slack off with a bypass.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:10 PM, Dan1131 said:

I’m having my 2013 sleeve converted to bypass on 1/9/2023 because of GERD. I’m not too happy that I have to go through with this as I never wanted a full bypass and have enjoyed being able to still eat a some what normal diet (albeit with less volume than pre sleeve). I’m down between 60-70 lbs from my top weight pre sleeve. Not as much as I really need to feel good in my body but certainly healthier.
a few questions:

1. Anyone done this and can share their experience?
  2. Will I ever be able to eat again? I know I will but the sleeve was pretty forgiving, everything I read about bypass with the emphasis on Protein, chewing 20x, not drinking 15 min before or after eating, makes me think the little enjoyment I got from a good meal after VSG is over, even that is gone.
  3. What was you weight loss when you went from sleeve to bypass? I’ve heard I can expect maybe 10-15%. beyond where I am now
  4. Any tips or things to watch out for? I’ll be glad to get rid of the GERD and hopefully avoid all the bad things that can come from that but I’m super worried I won’t be able to follow the bypass regime and have other health problems from not following things as directed.

Hi Dan, I am just checking in to see how your revision went. I am 10 years out from my sleeve and getting a revision on 1/15/23. I am kind of sad about this as well since I really love my Sleeve. However, the severe GERD has prevented me from staying on track and I have had regain over the years. I am hoping the Bypass will not only get rid of the GERD, but also help me shed some of the regain. I wish you well!

Thanks Lorie. Im laying here in my post Op hospital room about 24 hours after the surgery. So far so good. Having done this before, even though I don’t remember much for that first time 10 years ago has helped. I too look at it as a chance to not make the same mistakes twice. I lost 20 lbs (8% EBW) just in the 2 week Optifast preop diet and I’m taking that as a win. Defiantly a bit skittish about stressing this little pouch so I’ll sipping slowly. Only clear fluids in hospital and certainly no hunger yet. Incision sites are painful, walking around the ward seems to help with the gas. No GERD or coughing so that’s the real blessing! Anything else is just extra

Surgery went well. Some pain in the larger 4mm incision where he put in the stapler but Tylenol and some IV pain meds and I’m ok. Heading home now (1 overnight) have a timer set for every 15min for my Fluid. A bit scared I’ll burst my pouch (I can be a worrier) but so far so good. Gonna miss taking big slugs of Water but not going to miss the GERD.