Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I noticed since some weight loss I have been super clumsy. Its like my equilibrium is off. If I'm walking on a flat surface I will all of a sudden start slanting and usually grab something to steady myself. Has anyone had this happen to them?

I have heard of this happening.

Also, you may have a bought of vertigo. I get it and it is exactly as you explained! You can ask your doctor, there are meds to help it.

I hope you get it resolved soon.

Also your blood pressure may be on the low side. I felt like this until I came off my medication to lower mine. Stand up slowly and walk carefully until you can get this sorted

1 hour ago, summerseeker said:

Also your blood pressure may be on the low side. I felt like this until I came off my medication to lower mine. Stand up slowly and walk carefully until you can get this sorted

True story. I struggle with super low blood pressure now.

They say it will level out once my body "catches up" but if it keeps dropping so low I will be put on meds to keep it up.

I’m gonna guess It’s probably just your body getting used to the changes but if you actually feel dizzy or woozy I would check In with your team to make sure everything is okay. Low BP seems to be a common thing talked about on here but I would definitely want to be checked out by a doctor to make sure that it’s not too low.

Don’t know if it’s vertigo as with vertigo, the room spins & you feel nauseous & it usually lasts for a while. (Even with meds, mine can knock me about fur a day or two.) It could be low blood pressure but equally likely that your centre of gravity has changed with your weight loss. You’ve been holding your body in a certain way to counter balance your weight & now you don’t need to as much. You may even notice aches & pains in your joints & muscles as your muscles, tendons & joints readjust to your new & better posture. I had upper back pain but new bras that actually fit helped with that a lot.

I dealt with that & I had low blood pressure. Turns out the medication I was taking was too high for new weight & it wasn't even a blood pressure medicine! Its good to go over those again w your Drs if you do take meds

Yes, I have this problem. To the others that replied, it's not a sensation of vertigo, it's a lot more subtle than that. I especially notice this when I'm walking and find myself occasionally walking like I'm intoxicated, where I start to veer to one side or the other. I never feel a spinning sensation or like I'm going to pass out (as I sometimes do when I stand up too quickly). It also does not happen constantly, it's more like every couple of minutes.

I don't know what's causing it, but I have some theories:

• Gait issues: I think we sometimes dismiss how much weight loss can impact one's center of gravity and thus our normal gait.
  • Orthostatic hypotension: As mentioned, I have been suffering from occasional issues with orthostatic hypotension lately, so it's possible that this is related in some way. It may just me a very slight lowering of my blood pressure while walking as opposed to the big drops that sometimes happen when I get up too quickly.
  • This one is a bit of a stretch, but it's possible the loss of fat cells surrounding the tensor tympani muscles could have caused some issues with muscle laxity, leading to balance issues. Since I do already suffer from severe hearing loss and tinnitus, there maybe a greater possibility of this one for me?

I am planning to talk to my cardiologist ASAP as I want to lower or eliminate my carvedilol. I already eliminated 2 other HBP meds, but I think it's time for this one to go as well.

Edited by SpartanMaker

ok, so first i agree with the low BP theories mentioned above. i would get woozy getting up quickly or just turning around too fast...resulting in stumbling or knocking into things.

the other things i figured out that helped to explain my sudden-onset clumsiness:

- i used to trip over imaginary obstacles (i.e., my own feet!) all the time. turns out my feet shrunk and my shoes became too big. so yeah, tripping.

- there was a period where i would drop things from my hand for no reason. i think this was because i was weaker than normal and over-estimated my grip strength

- i cant say how many times i would walk into the corners of my kitchen island during weight loss phase (ouch!). i figure my mind hadn't yet figured out spacial awareness with my smaller size

im 4 years post now, my shoes fit, things stay in my hand, and the bruises on my waist and hips are thankfully gone!

Good Luck!