Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loud stomach gurgling and diahrrea, is it normal?

I was banded on Thursday, Dec. 13th and I have had diarrhea since last night and a loud gurgling sound in my stomach. Is that normal?

I was banded on Wed 12/12 and have had the same problem. My doc says that is totally normal, but if the diarrhea doesn't start to firm up then I will need to call the office.

I would think it's because your only having liquids. Let us know what happens. I'm getting banded next year and would like to know when my time comes if I should worry or not.

Good Luck peeps, JLOVE

missmonazz,

I was banded the 13th too! I am also having the loud gurgling noises, and loooose stools. Just started yesterday. I went back to work (desk job) today. I only stayed a little past lunch, came home and took a good long nap!

I really don't have any problems, except I got soo sore from sitting straight up in a chair at the desk. I work at a huge industrial construction site, so trips to the potty room are not a problem, and if I have too much gas, I doubt anyone would even notice!! LOL!

Congrats on your band, we are embarking on an amazing journey. Keep in touch.

Jodie

missmonazz,

I was banded the 13th too! I am also having the loud gurgling noises, and loooose stools. Just started yesterday. I went back to work (desk job) today. I only stayed a little past lunch, came home and took a good long nap!

I really don't have any problems, except I got soo sore from sitting straight up in a chair at the desk. I work at a huge industrial construction site, so trips to the potty room are not a problem, and if I have too much gas, I doubt anyone would even notice!! LOL!

Congrats on your band, we are embarking on an amazing journey. Keep in touch.

Jodie

That's great Jodie, I can't wait to hear your constant progress reports, and it's nice to know I am not alone or abnormal.

I was banded on Nov 12. The same thing happened to me. It lasted for about 3-5 days (I can't remember). That's the main reason I didn't go back to work until 4 days after surgery. I didn't want to have to lose the race to the bathroom.

Don't worry. It's normal and you'll be feeling great soon.

Hey! I was banded 12/13/07 also and have had the same symptoms.. I attribute the diarrhea to all of the anesthesia & liquid pre-op diet...

The gurgliing I think is gas & Fluid for diarrhea...

Everyday I get better.. Except for the GAS I am doing great!

Yes the gas and gurling sounds will last for the rest of your life. I asked my dr. that question and he confirmed, unless someone out there says differently.

I haven't had ANY gas (more than normal pre-band) or gurgling since about week 2. Maybe I'm just lucky....

The gurgling sounds and the loose stools will go away once you transition to solid foods. If you are in discomfort, please call your doctor. I was banded on 11/9/07 and now that I am on solid foods I have a problem with Constipation and my doctor has advised me to use stool softners, so this may be something else for u to look forward too.

Diarrhea could be a result of your new diet. Diarrhea could also be that you have diarrhea, and you were banded. There isn't necessarily any correlation.

If you normally have stomach noises when you have diarrhea, and you've ever had diarrhea, then it's probably normal.

Update, my doctor called in a new prescription for Flagyl. He said the explosive diahrrea, stomach pain-gurgling, and my low-grade fever may indicate an infection called C Difficules. He said the concern was with expoosive diahrrea, not just normal diahrrea. I will let you all know what happens.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Holy CARP! C-Diff is a problem that is becoming more prevalent in hospitals. I am so glad you called the doc and are going to be treated for just in case! Good move...

Hope your tummy feels better soon.

Just a warning - Flagyll is a very strong antibiotic. It kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. I had problems with it several years ago.

You need to take some Probiotics (get them in powder form from health food store) and eat yogurt with active cultures. This is easy these days, as there are so many yogurt products that advertise this. Watch your tongue. If it gets a freaky white coating with sores, you might be developing thrush and should call your doctor. It is not particularily dangerous, but is uncomfortable and is a lot easier to treat if you catch it early.

Most of the time you will have diarrhea after being banded because you are only taking liquids in so only liquids will come out. As your diet increases so will the consistency of your stool. As for cdiff. Sometimes the antibiotics that you are given pre and post op will kill too much of the nautral bacteria and then you end up with cdiff. It is very treatable by taking the flagyl. Make sure you take all of it. The only true way to know if you have cdiff is a stool sample to the lab. Some people the diarrhea will stay the same just less explosive until all the antibiotic is completed. Hope that you feel much better soon!