Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking forward to the Double Take

Ok, going to let my vanity hang out for a moment lol

One of the things I look forward to after surgery after being a very fat person most of my life is having people do a double take or not recognize me lol

Due to the nature of my job, there are many people I see once a year or a every few years and talk on the phone on and off. I semi secretly can’t wait until I have lost enough for them to have to look twice to know it’s me …

tucking my vanity back in for now…

I had this happen at about 100 lbs lost. Went to a meeting and someone I hadn't seen in more than year (from a previous employer) was amazed and clearly wanted to ask a lot of questions. It was very reaffirming because sometimes it is hard to see the changes on a day to day basis. Most people don't mention my weight directly, but a lot of comments about how I look amazing or look really different. If I ever get close to my goal (in another 100 lbs) I'm sure the reactions will be even more pronounced.

It's a very strange thing and I am not sure I love it. It's like moving away to another town and being anonymous. My son does a double take when he sees me, he cannot get used to the new me. I have been fat all his life. I live in a small town and know everyone, now they just don't realise that this is the new me. At first it was funny ha-ha but now it's quite upsetting in a way.

It still happens occasionally. Funniest & oddest time was almost a year ago. I attended a farewell for someone I’d worked with on & off for years. I caught up with a team I’d worked with for about a year until a few months before my surgery. I greeted two of the men, hugged & kissed each on the cheek & sat with them for a while catching up. Later on, one admitted he had no idea who I was for ages. The other admitted it took him a few minutes. I thought it was hilarious that they had hugged & kissed a ‘stranger’. Another man kept saying he didn’t know who I was & I had to tell him my name twice before he accepted it was me. (The women knew who I was as I had seen them a few times since my surgery.)

Two weeks ago I went to a funeral & people didn’t recognise me & some told other people I was my s-in-l. She is 7 inches taller than me! She also has a bigger build, is a couple of sizes larger than me & didn’t know the person who had passed away. I was a bit peeved about that one.

I say enjoy it while it lasts.

I am surprisingly nervous about it! I have not seen most of my family since I weighed much more & I just know they're going to be VERY extra when I see them lol. My grandma in particular is going to freak out lol. I wont see them till February of next year so I still have time to lose even more. Hoping I'll be close to 130ish by then!

ALSO HAPPY DAY OF SURGERY!!!

21 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

I had this happen at about 100 lbs lost. Went to a meeting and someone I hadn't seen in more than year (from a previous employer) was amazed and clearly wanted to ask a lot of questions. It was very reaffirming because sometimes it is hard to see the changes on a day to day basis. Most people don't mention my weight directly, but a lot of comments about how I look amazing or look really different. If I ever get close to my goal (in another 100 lbs) I'm sure the reactions will be even more pronounced.

I think some people are afraid to mention it in case it is medical and unintentional. They notice it but either don’t want to be invasive or just don’t want to get into it if it is not on purpose. most likely someone will be bold enough to say it though.

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Funniest & oddest time was almost a year ago

i have a funny story (and also my favourite story to tell) as well about not being recognized:

Me and Mr. went to a wedding about 8 months post op. One of my fave uncles of his was there and we went to go say hi (we hadn't seen him since xmas about 6 months prior).

Normally when we see each other we talk each other up and joke about this and that like old beer buddies.

This time he was oddly cold to me, not looking me in the eye and def not his jovial self. Weird.

After the ceremony he came running up to me and put me in a big bear hug and lifted me off the ground, apologizing profusely.

Apparently he angrily asked his wife who the h*ll this woman was with Mr. and why the eff did he bring her to a family wedding.

He assumed me and Mr. broke up and skinny me was the new stupid girlfriend, and proclaimed he was NOT interested in interacting with him and said new girlfriend at this wedding 😂😂😂😂

...at least i know whose side he'd be on if Mr. and i were ever to divorce!

Edited by ms.sss

I expect to experience this tonight! I am attending a retirement party for my boss and MANY former employees are attending, some of whom I haven't seen in 8 years!