Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger Day of Surgery

I underwent a roux en y this morning and have been dosing for most of the day. However, I’m feeling pretty worried because I’ve woken up very hungry. Is that normal? Very worries as hunger reduction / elimination was a major reason i had this surgery. Anyone have a similar experience?

Some people do experience hunger post op but it’s a very small amount of people. The majority of people later realize it’s head hunger. They say you can tell the difference by what you are hungry for. If you are craving something specific, often something you shouldn’t have it’s head hunger but if you are just hungry and would be satisfied with a healthy option you don’t necessarily enjoy eating then it’s actual hunger. There was one person on here who dealt with this from the beginning and she ended up having to take some weight loss drugs to curb the hunger. I haven’t heard from her in a while now that I think of it, but she did seem to be losing weight in spite of this. Also, I almost forgot, people say that the acid can be misinterpreted as hunger as well. I didn’t experience tbis either but they often prescribe PPI’s for this reason. Ask your team about that.

Edited by ShoppGirl

2 hours ago, Snetsky said:

I underwent a roux en y this morning and have been dosing for most of the day. However, I’m feeling pretty worried because I’ve woken up very hungry. Is that normal? Very worries as hunger reduction / elimination was a major reason i had this surgery. Anyone have a similar experience?

I felt hunger pangs, too. But, I actually wasn't sure if it was hunger, or just surgical pain. I'm 6 days out from my gastric bypass. Still feeling hungry sometimes - but not like I was in the hospital. From what I understand, for some of us, we won't stop feeling hungry until we start actually eating food. I have 1 more week until I start purees.

I never lost my hunger at all. With the sleeve, they normally remove the hunger hormone, but not only was I still hungry, I was RAVENOUS. Never did get to have that "I have to make myself eat because I'm never hungry" that so many others had. You can overcome it, but it takes A LOT of work.

17 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I never lost my hunger at all. With the sleeve, they normally remove the hunger hormone, but not only was I still hungry, I was RAVENOUS. Never did get to have that "I have to make myself eat because I'm never hungry" that so many others had. You can overcome it, but it takes A LOT of work.

Ah man, I hope I don't have that problem! One of the reasons why I got the surgery was to help with my hunger.

Same, and I was in tears because I was always hungry. I felt like I got ripped off. And I also never had any restriction after the first 2 weeks at all. So I had to completely teach myself that I had to avoid slider foods, teach my stomach and brain that eating the designed portions ARE enough and I WON'T starve. I also had to work on head hunger. When my stomach wasn't hungry but I looked at the time and realized I hadn't eaten in a couple hours, I immediately became starving. OR....I would know I had a snack in there, and had already had one, and then decided I was starving if I didn't eat it right then. There's a huge difference between true hunger and head hunger, and I had to deal with both. But I did it. A lot of trial and error, but at almost 6 months out, I feel like I got there and can ignore head hunger (for the most part). But it was an uphill battle, and not an easy one, but it IS possible. But you have to be determined and dedicated and not give up.

I think it is normal. One, you haven't really eaten. You are going to feel hungry. liquid phase is also difficult because liquids pass right though you so there is very little satiety during that phase. Once you heal and you move on to more solid foods, you may feel hungry but a very small amount of Protein will satisfy you. Give it time. Congrats on your step in the right direction and good luck on your journey.

You know, I really think this might be a case of my brain interpreting my abdominal pain with hunger cramps. Even though it ‘feels’ like hunger, I have no interest in food or eating. When I imagine sitting down and actually putting a forkful of something in my mouth I feel vaguely repulsed. I also know from experience of intermittent fasting and VLCDs that I usually don’t feel hunger for at least a day or two - sometimes I’d feel a wave of hunger from time to time but it would pass. So it seems unlikely that what I’m experiencing now is hunger - it is a CONSTANT pain and it’s only been a little over 24 hours since my last meal!